on Sep 10, 2005
Class: Fighter (Special: Blade Lord)
Played By: Eric
Thu’fir is a Blade Lord, a special character class Eric and I came up with. He uses a special gigantic sword (think Final Fantasy) that is magical and gains power – by leveling up – through use. His sword is named Fai.
Special Characteristics of a Blade Lord:
- The Blade Lord training is kept within a familty -outsiders are never trained.
- As part of their training, students must learn to sprint, jump, and swim with their sword. The result is that the weight of the sword does not count against the character for encumbrance, jump, swim, or other movement rolls. In essence, the weight of the sword is “free”, or counted as part of the character’s own weight and not their gear.
- The sword is difficult to use. Anyone who is not trained in its use takes a -10 penalty to hit.
- A Blade Lord has forgone the usual fighter training in favor of the “Big Sword” (I still need a cool name for this sword type). The upshot is that a Blade Lord gets none of the normal fighter bonuese when using standard weapons. The big sword obviously can’t deal non-lethal damage, which makes knocking someone out problematic.
- The sword levels up through kills. During combat, anyone struck by the sword is added to the sword’s kill total at the end of the battle (assuming they die), even if the sword did not deliver the killing blow. When enough kills are attained, the sword grows in power and its owner may select a new property from the list.
Magical properties of the sword (select one each time the sword levels up):
0 Rustproof: Immune to the effects of rust and rust monsters.
0 Will of the Master: If anyone (except Thufir or his decendants) attempts to swing the blade, they must make a DC 15 reflex save or be struck themselves.
0 Silver Edge: The edge of the blade is touched with silver.
0 Enchanted Grip: The weapon cannot be dropped or pulled unwillingly from the owner’s grasp.
0 Glowing Blade: When held, the blade glows as a standard torch.
0 Unbreakable: The blade cannot be broken by any mortal creature.
0 Razor Blade: +1 damage bonus. (Sword Level 4 required)
0 Guided Blade: The blade aids the user, giving a +1 attack bonus. (Sword Level 4 required)
0 Vorpal: Criticals will behead the enemy, which is usually instantly fatal. The enemy must have a head and it must be within reach for this to work. (Sword Level 5 required)
0 Flamebrand: The blade does an additional 1d4 fire damage. (Sword Level 5 required)
0 Sparkstrike: The blade does an additional 1d4 lightning damage. (Sword Level 5 required)
0 Improved Criticals: The critical threat of the weapon is 19-20. (Sword Level 6 required)
0 Guardian Blade: The blade will move to intercept incoming attacks, granting +1 AC. (Sword Level 8 required)
0 Stun Blade: Foes struck with this blade must make a DC 15 fotitude save or lose 1 standard action on their next turn. (Sword Level 10 required)
0 Mindbreak: Sword does 1 point of INT damage on striking. (Sword Level 13 required)
Sword Level Chart
Shamus Young is an old-school OpenGL programmer, author, and composer. He runs this site and if anything is broken you should probably blame him.