My work recently has brought the following into sharp relief. Whenever I’m working on a challenging project, I follow a very predictable pattern.
- Enthusiasm: This is going to be my best project ever!
- Unease: Hm. This is getting tough.
- Dismay: This is impossible! It’ll never get it!
- Defeat: What a waste of time. I must destroy this project and erase all traces of it so that my lack of talent is never exposed to the world.
- Grim resolution: I’ve come this far. I might as well finish it, even if it sucks.
- Hope: You know, I’m starting to get it. I might pull this off after all.
- Elation: I did it!
- Hubris: That was easy! Next time I’ll do something twice as difficult!