After Mark mentioned that he found my blog via the “blond joke” meme, I’ve been thinking about memes a little differently. I would sometimes feel guilty when I joined in a meme, because I thought of them as a crutch for when I don’t have anything witty to say. But looking back, I see that I lot of my voyages into unknown blogs have been the result of following a meme. They are easy and fun and a good way to mix things up. Also, I need to lighten up.
As with Don, I’ll be dispensing with the “no cartoons” rule. In fact, this list is nearly all cartoon characters. I’m adding an additional qualifier that I can only use one character from each show, otherwise this this list would just be every major character, supporting character, minor character, and uncredited extra that ever appeared on Firefly, and that would have been even lamer than the following list of cartoon characters.
- Spiderman – My most favoritist of all superheroes
- Wash (Firefly)
- Aoi Sakuraba (Ai Yori Aoshi)
- Lionel Hardcastle (As time goes By)
- Phil (Sugar, a Little Snow Fairy)
- Chi (Chobits)
- Armstrong (Fullmetal Alchemist)
- Larry the Cucumber (Veggie Tales)
- Gromit (Wallace & Gromit)
- Radical Edward (Cowboy Bebop)
- Sosuke Sagura (Full Metal Panic)
- Frylock (Aqua Teen Hunger Force)
- Basil Fawlty (Fawlty Towers)
- Statler & Waldorf – The Hecklers (The Muppet Show)
- Reki (Haibane Renmei
- Sledge Hammer (Sledge Hammer!) I was 15, okay?
- Die Fledermaus (The Tick)
- Homer Simpson (The Simpsons)
- Whiz (Kidd Video) Again, I was 15.
- Bugs Bunny (Duh) The guy’s still funny after all these years.
- Max Headroom (Max Headroom) My first taste of cyberpunk.
- EMH Doctor (Star Trek: Voyager) A great character in a mediocre series.
- Ohjiro Mihara (Angelic Layer)
- Cosmo Kramer (Seinfeld)
- Less Nesman (WKRP)
A year ago I might have put someone from The Sopranos into this list, but that show lost its way a long time ago. It’s now in a rut so deep it could be more properly labeled a canyon. The story is just grinding along, having lots of stuff happen that never seems to lead anywhere. American television. Meh.
This was harder than I expected. It took me a long time to come up with 25 names. I think the problem is that in my 35 years I have not seen 25 shows that I really loved. I have Spiderman at the top of the list, but the truth is that while he’s one of my all-time favorite characters, the various television incarnations of him have not impressed me. I put Cosmo Kramer on the list because I think the character is funny, but I’ve only seen Seinfeld 4 times. If I had obeyed the “no cartoons” rule in the original meme, I could not have come up with 10 names, let alone 25.
The Strange Evolution of OpenGL
Sometimes software is engineered. Sometimes it grows organically. And sometimes it's thrown together seemingly at random over two decades.
Bethesda felt the need to jam a morality system into Fallout 3, and they blew it. Good and evil make no sense and the moral compass points sideways.
Pixel City Dev Blog
An attempt to make a good looking cityscape with nothing but simple tricks and a few rectangles of light.
A look at the main Borderlands games. What works, what doesn't, and where the series can go from here.
Why I Hated Resident Evil 4
Ever wonder how seemingly sane people can hate popular games? It can happen!