on Feb 11, 2008
- A Marine goes off to war.
- He is injured in an explosion. He spends 13 weeks in the hospital recovering.
- In the explosion, he personally witnesses his best friend’s decapitation.
- His injuries are extensive enough that he is granted medical retirement.
- He returns home to the states, where he begins hallucinating and having flashbacks.
- Sitting at home playing Call of Duty 4, he suddenly gets up, leaves the house, goes on a motorcycle ride and disappears. His motorcycle is found along the side of the road sometime later.
So what headline is the story under?
Yeah. The videogame. I’m sure that was the problem.
LATER: I’d closed comments because I was just sure there would be that one guy who couldn’t resist using this post as a launching post for talking about The War. I’ve reconsidered, but please do observe the no politics policy.
LATER STILL: Link fixed. Duh.
Shamus Young is an old-school OpenGL programmer, author, and composer. He runs this site and if anything is broken you should probably blame him.