Rather than answer a dozen emails, let me do a kind of announcement roundup thing. And now that I think of it, I should make that the title to this post.
1) Our very own Mumbles has begun a blog, which she has thoughtfully placed on the internet where people can read it. People such as yourself. This means that 75% of the Spoiler Warning crew is now enbloggened. Mumbles does it. Rutskarn does it. I does it. But I have it on good authority that Josh will not be joining our proud cult of rambling blog-makers. But if he does start one, I strongly encourage him to name it “STOP SHOOTING ME DOT COM”. Just saying.
2) Gratitude and thanks to the benefactor who provided a graphics card for me. It’s a Radeon HD 5670. And for those of you who like the acronym stuff: 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCIE 2.0 x16 HDCP with Crossfire who am I kidding nobody reads this crap. I was going to take some pictures of it, but I had work that needed to get done, and so I put it to work straight away. However, the card is red, which is what counts.
3) Stolen Pixels is on hiatus. This might be a long-ish one. I’ll come back to it when I can.
4) Work stopped on Project Hex while I worked on Drawn to Knowledge. We’ll hopefully get back to that after the holidays. For the last three years I’ve worked huge overtime over the holidays, and so I mean to make the most of this one.
5) Not so much an announcement as a question: I have discovered the fun of playing Horde side in WoW. I had the idea of leveling an Orc in the Blood Elf area, because that would be funny. But I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to get there. I thought I’d go take a zeppelin, but none seem to go to Silvermoon. I thought to run there, but the Western Plaguelands are basically impassible at level 1. I’m sure you can get there, but it would be hours of corpse-running. Now that I think of it, I hardly ever see any non-elves in Eversong Woods. I’m guessing that you just can’t get there until you’ve got the levels to make the run? Or am I missing some alternate route?
The Middle Ages
Would you have survived in the middle ages?
Quakecon Keynote 2013 Annotated
An interesting but technically dense talk about gaming technology. I translate it for the non-coders.
This is Why We Can’t Have Short Criticism
Here's how this site grew from short essays to novel-length quasi-analytical retrospectives.
Programming Language for Games
Game developer Jon Blow is making a programming language just for games. Why is he doing this, and what will it mean for game development?
Joker's Last Laugh
Did you anticipate the big plot twist of Batman: Arkham City? Here's all the ways the game hid that secret from you while also rubbing your nose in it.