(And then milk it for all it’s worth.)
Ivy’s flying companion Fitzpatrick is 100% Shawn’s invention. He’s never named or spoken of in the comic, but he’s wonderfully funny and iconic.
Man, I love Fitzpatrick. Maybe one day I’ll do Fitzpatrick’s Adventures in Silhouette City. I figured Ivy needed a familiar, and this little toothy demon bat guy just came in to being. Keep an eye on him, mostly he just floats there looking chompy, but sometimes he will make faces or reflect Ivy’s mood.
Also, I love Josh’s line in panel 1.
Also #2, I actually agree a good deal with the Chuck commentary that originally ran with this comic. I’m a huge fan of tvtropes.org (CB is on there a couple of places, DMotR too I think. As far as I know, Clockworks isn’t mentioned anywhere yet, Stolen Pixels might be), and I love knowing enough about the classic tropes and cliches to have an idea when to subvert them and when to go for them wholeheartedly.
EDIT 2019: If you’re curious, this site gets a lot of mentions on TV Tropes:
- Chainmail Bikini has its own page, and it’s also mentioned on the page of the trope itself.
- Of course, DM of the Rings has a page dedicated to it, and all the tropes I embraced / subverted / mocked / blundered into. Before I started working at the Escapist, TV Tropes was a major source of traffic on this site.
- There’s even a page about me specifically.
- Spoiler Warning has a TV Tropes page, which is even up to date enough to note that I am no longer on the show.
- The Witch Watch also has a page. It’s very interesting to see how many tropes I used without thinking about it.
- Sadly no page for The Other Kind of Life. To be honest, I doubt ToKoL warrants a page. I think I spent the whole book avoiding tropes. I’m sure I used a few, but a big part of the fun of reading / writing those articles is seeing how many tropes you can identify and how you can connect them to other works. It’s entirely possible that ToKoL might not contain enough tropes to make it fun for the trope-counters.
- The Escapist gets a page.
- My text-based let’s plays Shamus Plays WoW, Shamus Plays LotRO, and A Star is Born (Champions Online) did not make the site. They are – or were – some of my most popular work, and a large portion of their jokes revolve around characters noticing, commenting on, or failing to avoid common tropes. Alas, TV Tropes is a fickle thing. (Also, the internet is enormous and you can’t include everything.)
Grand Theft Auto Retrospective
This series began as a cheap little 2D overhead game and grew into the most profitable entertainment product ever made. I have a love / hate relationship with the series.
The Dumbest Cutscene
This is it. This is the dumbest cutscene ever created for a AAA game. It's so bad it's simultaneously hilarious and painful. This is "The Room" of video game cutscenes.
Push the Button!
Scenes from Half-Life 2:Episode 2, showing Gordon Freeman being a jerk.
Linux vs. Windows
Finally, the age-old debate has been settled.
Video Compression Gone Wrong
How does image compression work, and why does it create those ugly spots all over some videos and not others?