I’m sure I’m not the only person to have noticed this.
Like I said in the linked text, this trope isn’t anywhere on TV Tropes*. Elements I consider crucial to this Trope:
1) It takes place at the start of the game.
2) You awaken in an unfamiliar place.
3) You are in your underwear or otherwise deprived of basic stuff you’ll be collecting during the tutorial.
4) A local calamity is going on. (“Darth Malak threatens the galaxy” doesn’t count. “The Endar Spire is under attack” does. Ideally, this calamity should be resolved within the tutorial.)
5) Bonus points if you’re alone and someone has to guide you from a remote location.
6) Bonus points if you’re in some sort of medical facility.
Someone suggested that this Trope should be called “Good Morning, Disaster”. It fits. Now someone who knows what they’re doing at TV Tropes* needs to add this.
And yes, this is the comic I was trying to make when all of this happened.
* Warning: The link labeled “TV Tropes” links to TV Tropes*.
Do It Again, Stupid
One of the highest-rated games of all time has some of the least interesting gameplay.
A screencap comic that poked fun at videogames and the industry. The comic has ended, but there's plenty of archives for you to binge on.
PC Hardware is Toast
This is why shopping for graphics cards is so stupid and miserable.
The Disappointment Engine
No Man's Sky is a game seemingly engineered to create a cycle of anticipation and disappointment.
Games and the Fear of Death
Why killing you might be the least scary thing a game can do.