I’m not a fan of the “fake news” angle of the first of April, but I’m usually into the whole “do something fun and silly” idea. So it’s tradition around here that I replace the site theme with something colorful, crazy, or insane. But I’m just not feeling it today. In fact, I think I need to do some good old-fashioned complaining…
- I’m sick with some sort of pernicious bug that makes the insides of my ears, lungs, and throat maddeningly itchy. This has destroyed my voice and put me in a bad mood.
- The Escapist has shed all but one or two members of their staff, which included some nice colleagues. I don’t know how this will change the site, but it’s the end of an era.
- They also discontinued my column. The economic ramifications of this are kind of alarming.
- My stepfather is in the hospital. The ravages of age are taking their toll on him, but he should be home again in a couple of days. Fingers crossed.
- My videogame comes out in four days, which is making me panicked.
- Running and moderating this site has been less fun than usual, for reasons I won’t belabor.
Basically, it’s been a stupendously bad week. If I’ve been cranky or unreasonable, that’s why. If I’ve been inattentive in the comments, it’s why. If I don’t appear on the podcast or Spoiler Warning next week, that’s why.
Aside from the loss of my writing gig, all of these problems are probably temporary. In a week and a half, it’ll hopefully be sunshine and rainbows again. But in the meantime I’m not in the mood for HTML hi-jinks.
It’s not all bad. Archer Season 6 finally hit Netflix. So I’m going to have a nice tall glass of cough medicine and binge watch the whole thing twice. Be careful out there today. Beware of bullshit news.
Top 64 Videogames
Lists of 'best games ever' are dumb and annoying. But like a self-loathing hipster I made one anyway.
Why Google sucks, and what made me switch to crowdfunding for this site.
Trashing the Heap
What does it mean when a program crashes, and why does it happen?
The Plot-Driven Door
You know how videogames sometimes do that thing where it's preposterously hard to go through a simple door? This one is really bad.
Overused Words in Game Titles
I scoured the Steam database to figure out what words were the most commonly used in game titles.