on Jan 30, 2014
First three minutes of the show: Mumbles is established as the Podcast Queen.
3:00 Shamus is playing SPACE GAMES and Broken Age.
Also Shamus gives “marriage advice” on the occasion of his 17th wedding anniversary.
11:00 Josh is playing the game Adobe Premiere Doesn’t Friggin’ Work Dammit Hell Shit.
Josh also talks about a Crusader Kings II succession game he’s talking part in. For the uninitiated, CKII is a strategy game where you guide a particular dynasty through the ages. A succession game is where one player runs a generation, and when power passes on in the game, the save file is given to another player and they take over.
Also we talk about the weather for like ten minutes. Sorry.
22:30 Chris kicks off a discussion about Nintendo, the Wii U and their troubled sales.
Nintendo projected 9 million Wii U’s sold, but when the numbers came in it was more like 2.5 million. Now they’re in a tough spot.
Here is the article I mentioned. In the article we learn:
- Wii hardware wasn’t finalized until very late in development, and without a lot of communication with developers.
- The hardware is incredibly weak, bordering on Xbox 360 level of power.
- The people at Nintendo that designed the Wii U do not use or have any understanding of the other consoles.
- The Wii U development tools are horrible, bordering on the barbaric.
- Nintendo has shameful support for third parties, to the point that their few third-party devs have trouble getting coherent answers to basic technology questions.