Here is Gabe Newell, co-founder and managing director of Valve Corporation:
Now here he is, as we’ve never seen him before:
Seeing Gabe Newell shoot tons of dudes makes me giggle.
The character builder in Saint’s Row 2 (my review begins here) is phenomenal. Seeing this made me want to play through the game as Gabe. But someone already did that. Who else would be a good choice? You need people with a really distinctive visual look. Sure, you could play as Ben Afflek or Brittany Spears, but they’re not really iconic in the broad sense of having distinct outfits or silhouettes. Their faces are recognizable, but faces are hard to get right. You also want to make people who don’t make sense in the game world. It’s easy to make Bruce Lee (black pants and shoes, white socks, no shirt, begin game) but it’s not all that funny to see Bruce Lee kicking tons of ass. He’s Bruce “Hwaaaaah!” Lee, for crying out loud.
I might suggest:
- John Romero
- Current-day William Shatner. (Although it just wouldn’t feel right without the Shatner voice.)
- Mary Jo Pehl as Pearl Forrester.
- Lady Gaga seems like an obvious choice, but most of her look comes from her crazy outfits, which you wouldn’t be able to do in the game. The dress-up system has a ton of variety, but you can’t make an outfit from cookware, dead frogs, and sparklers, or whatever she’s wearing today.
- Bill Nye.
- The little girl from Lazytown.
- Teddy Roosevelt or Abe Lincoln
DM of the Rings
Both a celebration and an evisceration of tabletop roleplaying games, by twisting the Lord of the Rings films into a D&D game.
id Software Coding Style
When the source code for Doom 3 was released, we got a look at some of the style conventions used by the developers. Here I analyze this style and explain what it all means.
Artless in Alderaan
People were so worried about the boring gameplay of The Old Republic they overlooked just how boring and amateur the art is.
A video discussing Megatexture technology. Why we needed it, what it was supposed to do, and why it maybe didn't totally work.
The Mistakes DOOM Didn't Make
How did this game avoid all the usual stupidity that ruins remakes of classic titles?