Here is Gabe Newell, co-founder and managing director of Valve Corporation:
Now here he is, as we’ve never seen him before:
Seeing Gabe Newell shoot tons of dudes makes me giggle.
The character builder in Saint’s Row 2 (my review begins here) is phenomenal. Seeing this made me want to play through the game as Gabe. But someone already did that. Who else would be a good choice? You need people with a really distinctive visual look. Sure, you could play as Ben Afflek or Brittany Spears, but they’re not really iconic in the broad sense of having distinct outfits or silhouettes. Their faces are recognizable, but faces are hard to get right. You also want to make people who don’t make sense in the game world. It’s easy to make Bruce Lee (black pants and shoes, white socks, no shirt, begin game) but it’s not all that funny to see Bruce Lee kicking tons of ass. He’s Bruce “Hwaaaaah!” Lee, for crying out loud.
I might suggest:
- John Romero
- Current-day William Shatner. (Although it just wouldn’t feel right without the Shatner voice.)
- Mary Jo Pehl as Pearl Forrester.
- Lady Gaga seems like an obvious choice, but most of her look comes from her crazy outfits, which you wouldn’t be able to do in the game. The dress-up system has a ton of variety, but you can’t make an outfit from cookware, dead frogs, and sparklers, or whatever she’s wearing today.
- Bill Nye.
- The little girl from Lazytown.
- Teddy Roosevelt or Abe Lincoln