The only reason this post exists is because the previous posts are dangerously negative and I hate to have that much bellyaching sit on top of the site for too long. So… yeah. Let’s talk about some positive stuff:
- Thanks for all the advice about Windows 8 hotkeys. That smoothed out a lot of annoyances.
- Also thanks to the advice to “check your drives”. I’d read that Windows 8 users would never need to check drives because it would all be automatic. But sure enough, once I found chkdsk it turned out two important drives were a mess of scrambled crap. Fixing them solved my speed problems, my problems getting Steam to work, and the ages-long restart times.
- The screenshot at the top of this post if from a programming project I had to shelve when I began working on Good Robot again. It yielded some interesting lessons. I’ll get back to it eventually.
- Daylight savings time is still stupid. I know I say this every year. Twice. But it’s true.
- Sorry about that last bullet point. I know I promised this post was going to be positive.
- Kinda bummed I missed PAX East this year. I guess that’s not very positive either.
- This is harder than I thought it would be.
- The previous point wasn’t a complaint, was just an observation. So it shouldn’t count as negativity.
- We’re going to talk about Good Robot this week. No but for real this time.
- I have a special love for programs that just live in their directories and don’t need to be installed. FileZilla.(FTP client.) Foobar. (MP3 player.) VLC. (Media player.) Audacity. (Audio editor.) Thanks to developers who make sure their software is a good guest on my system.
Not much left of the weekend, but enjoy it anyway. I’ve got work to catch up on.
A Telltale Autopsy
What lessons can we learn from the abrupt demise of this once-impressive games studio?
The Best of 2013
My picks for what was important, awesome, or worth talking about in 2013.
The product of fandom run unchecked, this novel began as a short story and grew into something of a cult hit.
Why The Christmas Shopping Season is Worse Every Year
Everyone hates Black Friday sales. Even retailers! So why does it exist?
Bethesda’s Launcher is Everything You Expect
From the company that brought us Fallout 76 comes a storefront / Steam competitor. It's a work of perfect awfulness. This is a monument to un-usability and anti-features.