I think Extra Credits makes a stronger case, but I’ll defend my position a bit by saying that I was coming in with a lot of Oblivion-esqe expectations. I expected to end up stuck in a linear corridor section punctuated by camera-lock closeups on emotionless plastic faces while a series of NPCs info dumped on me and my only dialog options would be variants of “Tell me more about that.”
So I guess the takeaway here is that the intro is outstanding compared to Oblivion, but terrible compared to Call of Duty?
Protip: Probably best to let the Empire vs. Stormcloak debate wait a bit. We’ll get into it in more detail later. But, you know. Do what you like.
Official Spoiler Warning Skyrim Drinking Game of Fun and Alcohol Poisoning
OFFICIAL RULES; DO NOT ATTEMPT
- We want to kill an NPC who is unkillable for no good reason.
- Bizarre and inexplicable glitch!
- Josh gains a point in a skill he never deliberately uses.
- We run into a massive annoyance fixed by a mod one of us is using.
- Merchant runs out of money in one set of transactions.
- An unarmed NPC pointlessly charges into a fight better left to the player or the guards.
- “This was better in Morrowind…”
- “This was better in Arena/Daggerfall…” 2 drinks.
- “This was better in Oblivion…” Finish your drink.
- Reginald dies: Pour one out in memory of your lost “friend”. (If you can’t pour it out, just drink it.)
Bethesda’s Launcher is Everything You Expect
From the company that brought us Fallout 76 comes a storefront / Steam competitor. It's a work of perfect awfulness. This is a monument to un-usability and anti-features.
Zenimax vs. Facebook
This series explores the troubled history of VR and the strange lawsuit between Zenimax publishing and Facebook.
A screencap comic that poked fun at videogames and the industry. The comic has ended, but there's plenty of archives for you to binge on.
The Best of 2015
My picks for what was important, awesome, or worth talking about in 2015.
The Dumbest Cutscene
This is it. This is the dumbest cutscene ever created for a AAA game. It's so bad it's simultaneously hilarious and painful. This is "The Room" of video game cutscenes.