Here is the Xbox Live homepage as of right now in Firefox:
And here is the same page in IE7:
I first noticed this yesterday. That is just amazingly stupid and lame. Note that the entire live.xbox.com page acts this way. No matter what link I click on, it waits a fortnight or two and then comes back with “Page Unavailable”.
I can access the site using IE, although it still loads agonizingly slow. The only reason I wanted to bother is because:
- In Fable 2, there is a chest you encounter very early in the game that tells you to go to Fable 2.com to learn how to open it.
- Fable 2.com redirects to the XBL site.
- The XBL site doesn’t work with Firefox. (Version 3.0.5)
- Visiting the site with IE will get it to load, albeit with a load time measured in minutes.
- Once the page is loaded, there is nothing whatsoever about this chest, anywhere that I can see.
- Googling about reveals that opening the chest involves playing some Flash-based game on their site. Chicken kicker or somesuch. I no longer care about the damn chest, and am only enduring this to see how far down the rabbit hole this fool’s errand leads.
- Answer: This far. The chicken game doesn’t load, even using IE7. I just get a big old blank window. No prompt, no error.
The game has been out, what? Not quite fourth months yet?
It was foolish to build a URL into a game like that. The concept was hopelessly lame, even if it worked right. And it was pathetic how ineptly the whole thing crapped itself when I tried to check it out. There is a certain beauty in how completely and utterly they managed to fail at something so mundane.
Just out of curiosity: Can anyone confirm the Firebox / IE behavior I observed?
EDIT: Looks like I’m the only one with loading issues. Odd, since everything else loads with flawless alacrity, but you can’t argue with results.
Fine, their website isn’t completely screwed.
But putting a URL in a game is still a Bad Idea.
Grand Theft Auto Retrospective
This series began as a cheap little 2D overhead game and grew into the most profitable entertainment product ever made. I have a love / hate relationship with the series.
Trusting the System
How do you know the rules of the game are what the game claims? More importantly, how do the DEVELOPERS know?
Pixel City Dev Blog
An attempt to make a good looking cityscape with nothing but simple tricks and a few rectangles of light.
A programming project where I set out to make a gigantic and complex world from simple data.
Quakecon 2012 Annotated
An interesting but technically dense talk about gaming technology. I translate it for the non-coders.