Nothing like a punch in the immune system to put things into perspective. But then, having discomfort flow and then ebb is always a great pick-me-up.
The complete list of affected subsystems would be tedious, but I do note that illnesses have had a tendency to go right for my inner ear over the last few years. It makes getting around the house somewhat more challenging than it should be, and produces the ever-popular fever-go-round, where I can close my eyes and enjoy a slow spin around the room.
This wasn’t the worst illness I’ve had, although at one point I looked up from my bed and saw the horrifying cloaked form of the Grim Reaper standing over me.
“Oh come on“, I protested, “I’m not that sick.”
“I know, I know”, he replied defensively, “I was just, you know, checking.”
Now I’m slowly emerging from the long dark chicken soup time of the soul, and getting a feel for the state of things around here:
- I’m behind at my day job. Fixing that is priority #1.
- My comic has rolled on seamlessly, thanks to the lead time I started with. It’s nearly gone now, and I’m rummaging around in my bag of tricks looking for something that will move me a little further from the jaws of Fail. It’s way too early in the lifespan of the comic to start sucking or pulling some kind of hiatus crap. Still, if next week it’s all Lolcats and “All Your Base” jokes, now you’ll know why.
- I now have a pile of six new games here. More are on the way, thanks to the out-of-control wishlist. What really disappointed me was that apparently you can only get notes from the giver if the gift comes directly from Amazon. Items from third-party vendors (which in the case of games, is most of them) come anonymously. I’ll have another post on this later once the last of the games arrive.
- This site is actually in pretty good shape. Over the past few weeks I’ve been writing articles and then shelving them before they were complete, in favor of some shiny new thing that caught my attention. (Which was then shelved, etc.) There are lots of posts I’ve been itching to put up, but I wasn’t in any kind of shape to polish them, post them, and take part in the discussion.
- Despite all the new games, I haven’t been up for much computer over the last few days. I did some reading. I read Watchmen for the very first time ever. I think I’m the last nerd on Earth to read it. Once I saw it was being made into a movie, I knew I had to get with the program or spend the next nine months dodging spoilers and wondering what all the fuss is about.
- Like I said, I spent less time at the computer, but the new Strong Bad game is out on WiiWare and my kids have been playing it. I saw a bit of it and even sat and watched them play for a bit. Now, you should not trust the opinions I formed while in the throes of a scorching fever, but the little bit of the game I saw was hilarious.
Right. Back to work.
Video Compression Gone Wrong
How does image compression work, and why does it create those ugly spots all over some videos and not others?
Pixel City Dev Blog
An attempt to make a good looking cityscape with nothing but simple tricks and a few rectangles of light.
Spec Ops: The Line
A videogame that judges its audience, criticizes its genre, and hates its premise. How did this thing get made?
Are Lootboxes Gambling?
Obviously they are. Right? Actually, is this another one of those sneaky hard-to-define things?
Please Help I Can’t Stop Playing Cities: Skylines
What makes this borderline indie title so much better than the AAA juggernauts that came before?