Hi, everyone, I’m Shamu. Did you know that games have been getting consistently better over the years? As I was saying to my best pal, Bobby Kotick
Oh. Shamus finally added those avatars, huh? I had another twenty pages where I explain why Medal of Honor: Warfighter was GotY 2012, but I guess I’ll just get to the point.
Remember Aunty Paladin? You probably do, since most of you were around last year, hecklin’ on us, watching us play roleplaying games, participating in crowd activities, and generally havin’ a blast. But for those of you who didn’t make it, let me sum up.
Every year, the RPG association I’m president of does a 24-hour Livestreamed RPG marathon for as long as you guys pay us to. Damn fine people play damn fine games from sunrise to sunset with only the comment stream to keep us company. All the proceeds go to Child’s Play, and we’ve hooked it up so you can send your donations simply and directly this year. Frankly, I’m jazzed.
The official schedule will be posted soon, so keep an eye out for that, but here’s some of the glory you can expect:
- We’re kicking off with a game of Hobospy, the dark comedy RPG designed and produced by yours truly
- A game of Paranoia run by me, the master of mindscrewery!
- Can five players survive Tomb of Horrors? Almost certainly not!
- An exclusive, officially sanctioned live beta test of Evil Hat’s awesome magnum opus, Fate Core!
- Can Rutskarn and company stand that bad sci-fi novel come to life, Immortal? The number of walls I punched trying to figure out the first chapter is a nonzero number.
- Audience-participation game of Fiasco, which I’ve unofficially dubbed the Coen Brothers RPG.
- The return of your favorite cast members, like Wolfnord, Kiltbeard, Troy, Sam, Arturo the Bear, and many more!
Seriously, folks, this oughtta be great. As long as we’re funded, we’ll be rolling until midnight Friday. Spread the word–this isn’t just a great opportunity to help kids and have fun, it’s a great way to show people a.) what roleplaying games are, and b.) that they’re a riot to play. Ever try to describe what an RPG is like to someone who’s never seen one before? Trust me, this is easier.
Oh yeah, we’ve got an embedded stream now. So there’s that.
Secret of Good Secrets
Sometimes in-game secrets are fun and sometimes they're lame. Here's why.
A Lack of Vision and Leadership
People fault EA for being greedy, but their real sin is just how terrible they are at it.
A stream-of-gameplay review of Dead Island. This game is a cavalcade of bugs and bad design choices.
Internet News is All Wrong
Why is internet news so bad, why do people prefer celebrity fluff, and how could it be made better?
The Disappointment Engine
No Man's Sky is a game seemingly engineered to create a cycle of anticipation and disappointment.