For those of you who don’t listen to the show: My daughter Bay is visiting from Texas this week. I’m also behind on my writing for the Escapist. Also, GDQ is this week. I’m going to be distracted. Please try not to burn the place down while I’m out.
Hosts: Paul, Shamus. Episode edited by Issac.
00:00 Busy Week
The Summer Games Done Quick is this week. Here are a few of the runs I’m looking forward to:
- Sunday – Portal 2: Speedruns of Portal are often hard to follow because the runner spends so much time out of bounds and instantly blinking from one location to the next. This one promises to be an in-bounds run, so I’m hoping this will be more aerial acrobatics and less strobing skybox.
- Monday – Prey: The fastest possible run of Prey takes just a couple of minutes and is really boring because the runner spends most of the run out of bounds, slowly climbing a tower. This run will be about doing all main quests, so it will probably be more interesting to watch.
- Monday – Titanfall 2: Really? You can speedrun this? I always got the impression that modern shooters were pretty locked down and didn’t leave a lot of room for crazy shortcuts and exploits. I guess we’ll see.
- Wednesday – Dark Souls II: It’s always fun to see a speedrun of a Dark Souls game, particularly if you know what the game looks like when played by mortals.
- Friday – 90s Shooters: We’re going to see Quake, Half-Life, and Half-Life 2 run back-to-back. That should be fun.
- Friday – Minecraft: They had a Minecraft run last year, but that was based on a fixed seed where the runner had memorized the key locations of everything. This run will be based on a random seed, and I’m very curious how they’re going to make that work.
- Friday: Dark Souls: Another all bosses run.
- Saturday – Skyrim: Most Skyrim runs have the runner clip through a wall somewhere and skip 90% of the game. This run will tackle the entire main quest in just 45 minutes. I’m looking forward to seeing how that works.
These aren’t the only runs I want to watch, but these are my favorites. Are you planning on watching? What runs are you looking forward to?
03:39 Rebel Galaxy
Such a massive disappointment. A lot of work went into this game. And the devs are still working on it! It’s gotten several updates this year. But the stuttering is a severe problem and it’s evidently on their “won’t fix” list for whatever reason.
27:37 Destiny 2
It really is crazy how Anthem and Destiny 2 both have such severe loading screens. I think their levels must fall into some sort of worst-of-both-worlds scenario for size. Open world games like GTA V have epic load times, but you generally only need to pay that cost once. When the initial loading ends, you’re free to move around the entire world without hindrance. Other games have little bite-sized levels so the load screens are frequent but short.
Anthem and Destiny 2 have zones that are just large enough to make loading painful, but not large enough to contain the entire gameworld.
On the other hand, a lot of these environments are completely linear. This is particularly true for Anthem‘s strongholds. It should be possible to stream the level a few rooms at a time and do invisibly in the background.
Two console generations ago, everyone went crazy for motion controllers. The current gen is all bout VR / 4k / 60fps. Maybe this next generation of consoles will all fight over who can give us the shortest loading times.
It’s not likely, but I do hope we’ll see some progress.
31:28 A little Rimeing
38:24 Sunset Overdrive
High mobility combat. Sense of humor. Open world. Lots of character customization. Colorful visuals. This seems right up my alley, but I feel kinda “meh” about it.
44:06 Leaving good source code comments is kinda like game design.
This topic came from a Jon Blow livestream, but it doesn’t look like the VOD has been uploaded. It’s not important. Paul and I sort of take the topic in our own direction.
55:54 Mailbag: Loot Box Law
Liebe Personen, die Würfel werfen,
A few weeks ago there was a story about a proposed bill to regulate loot boxes and similar mechanic. Any thoughts on this topic?
Here is a relevant link.
Do It Again, Stupid
One of the highest-rated games of all time has some of the least interesting gameplay.
The Best of 2017
My picks for what was important, awesome, or worth talking about in 2017.
If Star Wars Was Made in 2006?
Imagine if the original Star Wars hadn't appeared in the 1970's, but instead was pitched to studios in 2006. How would that turn out?
Do you like electronic music? Do you like free stuff? Are you okay with amateur music from someone who's learning? Yes? Because that's what this is.
PC Hardware is Toast
This is why shopping for graphics cards is so stupid and miserable.