Hosts: Paul, Shamus. Episode edited by Issac.
00:00 The News FROM SPACE!
As a reminder: I get excited about SPACE NEWS but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to astronomy and space exploration. I only follow the shallowest of science news from space, so take all of my jabbering with a grain of salt.
If you’re like me and you want the softball version of these stories, then Scott Manley has two of these covered: How Israel’s Lander Crashed Into The Moon, And How Falcon Heavy Flew.
16:00 FAR: Lone Sails
22:03 Everything is Early access
Are more games being released in Early Access, or am I just playing an unusual number of them? I don’t even know how you’d go about giving a definitive answer to this.
28:04 Paul’s New Computer
In this segment, I sort of take a swipe at the idea of limiting “screen time” for kids. This Penny Arcade strip pretty much sums up how I feel about it. It wasn’t until later that I remembered that this is an incredibly controversial argument in the parenting scene. My wife Heather runs a parenting group on Facebook, and this is one of those topics that always seems to start a fire.
For the record, this is just what worked for our family. Every kid is different. Do what you think is right. I don’t think you’re a bad parent if you do something different.
Here are the specs we talked about on the show:
- Cooler Master Elite 130 – Mini-ITX Computer Case with Mesh Front Panel and Water Cooling Support
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G Graphics Card, 2 x WINDFORCE Fans, 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5, GV-N1660OC-6GD Video Card
- AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD2600BBAFBOX Desktop Processor
- Windows 10 Home – 64-bit – OEM – OEM
- Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW010T8X1
- ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING-ITX/AC AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
- CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2933 (PC4 23400) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16
- Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-450FM 450W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V, Compact 140 mm Size, 7 yr warranty
That’s what Paul has ordered. We’ll let you know how it goes next week.
I’m still using the machine that was gifted to me back in 2013. I’ve upgraded the graphics card since then and replaced a few other parts, but I’m still using the same CPU / Mobo.
The same processor! For six years! And it still runs AAA games! What is this sorcery?
I do plan on getting a new GPUThe GTX 1660 looks like the sweet spot on price / performance right now. this year, assuming all goes well.
39:07 Procedural vs. Hand-Crafted Gamespace
Paul is talking about this post.
1:00:26 “Audio error: Please restart your computer”
Yeah, why DOES the YouTube error screen emulate analog TV noise?
1:05:21 Crazy Mouse
And because I know some of you will ask, here is the interface:
 The GTX 1660 looks like the sweet spot on price / performance right now.
Please Help I Can’t Stop Playing Cities: Skylines
What makes this borderline indie title so much better than the AAA juggernauts that came before?
A video Let's Play series I collaborated on from 2009 to 2017.
A Lack of Vision and Leadership
People fault EA for being greedy, but their real sin is just how terrible they are at it.
A game I love. It has a solid main story and a couple of really obnoxious, cringy, incoherent side-plots in it. What happened here?
Secret of Good Secrets
Sometimes in-game secrets are fun and sometimes they're lame. Here's why.