Yep. We’re trying the new theme again. It’s the weekend and all the performance problems are sorted out, so now is a good time to put up the theme and see what usability issues we run into. New themes always have a shake-out period as people point out the obscure pages and unexpected use-cases that I never could have discovered on my own.
For the record: I’ve tested this site on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and my Android phone. The site works full-screen on my 1080p monitor and it continues to work as I shrink the window down to postage-stamp size. It worked in all of those cases, but I know there are a lot of browsers out there and I can’t hope to test them all.
- The main menu looks a little ragged if you’re viewing the site in portrait mode on a small screen. I’m not sure how much I care. It would be easy to fix by making the menu taller, but then the menu would be the length of the whole screen and you’d have to scroll down to get to the content.
- The Twitter thing doesn’t work. I’ll worry about that later. It’s pretty low priority. I barely use Twitter these days except to announce when my site is down.
- I dislike that the comment box is shown ABOVE the fields for name / email / website in the comment field. This is the default layout and requires custom coding to fix. WordPress insists this layout is better for usability. I have my doubts, but I figure I’ll let people discuss it and see if there’s a good reason to put in the work to put the comment box below the other fields.
- At small screen sizes, footnotes and image mouseover text are automatically displayed by default. Footnotes appear at the bottom of the post, and mouseover text appears as a caption. This is because it’s hard to “hover” over an image or click those tiny footnote links on a mobile screen.
- I just noticed this now, but the comments link at the bottom of the post is flush with the left edge, which looks a bit naff.
I’m sure there will be problems. Let me know in the comments. If you’re seeing something strange / crazy, please mention what web browser you’re using.
EDIT: Yes, I know it makes you type in your name / email every single time you post a comment. When you do a reply, it jumps to the bottom of the page rather than letting you reply in place. Also you can no longer edit comments. Sadly, these things are not related to the theme change. This is the fault of WordPress, which decided to force GDPR compliance on EVERYONE without asking. I can’t get stupid WordPress to save cookies for anyone. I’ve tried a bunch of different solutions and none of them have any effect. I’m still working on it.
EDIT II: Cookies should work again. Comment editing should work again. If you’re still seeing major faults with the site, make sure to hard refresh (Ctrl-F5 on most browsers) to force the CSS to reload. Browsers are shy about reloading that for some reason. I’m sure there are still problems with the theme, but the big ones should be solved by now.
Game at the Bottom
Why spend millions on visuals that are just a distraction from the REAL game of hotbar-watching?
Skyrim Thieves Guild
The Thieves Guild quest in Skyrim is a vortex of disjointed plot-holes, contrivances, and nonsense.
The Best of 2011
My picks for what was important, awesome, or worth talking about in 2011.
How to Forum
Dear people of the internet: Please stop doing these horrible idiotic things when you talk to each other.
A video Let's Play series I collaborated on from 2009 to 2017.