I think Extra Credits makes a stronger case, but I’ll defend my position a bit by saying that I was coming in with a lot of Oblivion-esqe expectations. I expected to end up stuck in a linear corridor section punctuated by camera-lock closeups on emotionless plastic faces while a series of NPCs info dumped on me and my only dialog options would be variants of “Tell me more about that.”
So I guess the takeaway here is that the intro is outstanding compared to Oblivion, but terrible compared to Call of Duty?
Protip: Probably best to let the Empire vs. Stormcloak debate wait a bit. We’ll get into it in more detail later. But, you know. Do what you like.
Official Spoiler Warning Skyrim Drinking Game of Fun and Alcohol Poisoning
OFFICIAL RULES; DO NOT ATTEMPT
- We want to kill an NPC who is unkillable for no good reason.
- Bizarre and inexplicable glitch!
- Josh gains a point in a skill he never deliberately uses.
- We run into a massive annoyance fixed by a mod one of us is using.
- Merchant runs out of money in one set of transactions.
- An unarmed NPC pointlessly charges into a fight better left to the player or the guards.
- “This was better in Morrowind…”
- “This was better in Arena/Daggerfall…” 2 drinks.
- “This was better in Oblivion…” Finish your drink.
- Reginald dies: Pour one out in memory of your lost “friend”. (If you can’t pour it out, just drink it.)
TitleWhat’s Inside Skinner’s Box?
What is a skinner box, how does it interact with neurotransmitters, and what does it have to do with shooting people in the face for rare loot?
Bethesda felt the need to jam a morality system into Fallout 3, and they blew it. Good and evil make no sense and the moral compass points sideways.
The Gameplay is the Story
Some advice to game developers on how to stop ruining good stories with bad cutscenes.
I Was Wrong About Borderlands 3
I really thought one thing, but then something else. There's a bunch more to it, but you'll have to read the article.
Bethesda’s Launcher is Everything You Expect
From the company that brought us Fallout 76 comes a storefront / Steam competitor. It's a work of perfect awfulness. This is a monument to un-usability and anti-features.