I think Extra Credits makes a stronger case, but I’ll defend my position a bit by saying that I was coming in with a lot of Oblivion-esqe expectations. I expected to end up stuck in a linear corridor section punctuated by camera-lock closeups on emotionless plastic faces while a series of NPCs info dumped on me and my only dialog options would be variants of “Tell me more about that.”
So I guess the takeaway here is that the intro is outstanding compared to Oblivion, but terrible compared to Call of Duty?
Protip: Probably best to let the Empire vs. Stormcloak debate wait a bit. We’ll get into it in more detail later. But, you know. Do what you like.
Official Spoiler Warning Skyrim Drinking Game of Fun and Alcohol Poisoning
OFFICIAL RULES; DO NOT ATTEMPT
- We want to kill an NPC who is unkillable for no good reason.
- Bizarre and inexplicable glitch!
- Josh gains a point in a skill he never deliberately uses.
- We run into a massive annoyance fixed by a mod one of us is using.
- Merchant runs out of money in one set of transactions.
- An unarmed NPC pointlessly charges into a fight better left to the player or the guards.
- “This was better in Morrowind…”
- “This was better in Arena/Daggerfall…” 2 drinks.
- “This was better in Oblivion…” Finish your drink.
- Reginald dies: Pour one out in memory of your lost “friend”. (If you can’t pour it out, just drink it.)
id Software Coding Style
When the source code for Doom 3 was released, we got a look at some of the style conventions used by the developers. Here I analyze this style and explain what it all means.
Could Have Been Great
Here are four games that could have been much better with just a little more work.
The Gameplay is the Story
Some advice to game developers on how to stop ruining good stories with bad cutscenes.
Mass Effect Retrospective
A novel-sized analysis of the Mass Effect series that explains where it all went wrong. Spoiler: It was long before the ending.
Silent Hill Turbo HD II
I was trying to make fun of how Silent Hill had lost its way but I ended up making fun of fighting games. Whatever.