Desert Bus for Hope 5 begins tonight! Once again the extended crew of Loading Ready Run will be playing the most boring unreleased videogame ever devised by performing magicians based in Las Vegas, in order to raise money to buy games for sick kids.
I’ll be appearing on the show tomorrow moring at 2pm eastern time. (That’s 7pm GMT, assuming the accursed idiocy of DST isn’t throwing me off.) I’d be super-grateful if you would stop by the DB5 blog before I go on. They will have a post announcing my appearance, and there you can leave some questions. When I call in, they will ask me the questions. If we are extraordinarily lucky, this will result in something passing for entertainment.
Other announcements and comments:
- Yes, my book is done. It’s currently being flensed by a number of editors. It will be released sometime after that, assuming anything is left.
- Project Frontier is on hold until I’m done with the book. I don’t dare look at it until then. There’s just way too much going on right now. You have no idea.
- Skyrim is really fun. Bethesda made some really interesting design decisions, such as removing all pretense of roleplaying through dialog. They were never very good at it, and now they’ve stopped trying altogether. What’s even more surprising is that I don’t mind. Apparently having stupid, meaningless, logic-deficient choices is worse than no choice at all.
- Spoiler Warning: Assassin’s Creed 2 is winding down. I don’t know what game we’re going to cover next. It’s a bit early for Skyrim. I really want to cover Deus Ex: Hunan Beef, but Josh hasn’t played it yet and frankly there’s too much Skyrim going on for that to happen. We’ll see.
- If you’re going to leave questions for me at Desert Bus, please keep in mind that I can’t speak for the other Spoiler Warning cast members. So be careful asking questions like, “Why don’t you guys do X?” For a lot of those questions, my answer would be, “I’d have to talk it over with Mumbles, Josh, and Rutskarn,” which isn’t very interesting.
- I totally stole the Deus Ex “Hunan Beef” gag from Josh. Don’t tell him.
Juvenile and Proud
Yes, this game is loud, crude, childish, and stupid. But it it knows what it wants to be and nails it. And that's admirable.
The Mistakes DOOM Didn't Make
How did this game avoid all the usual stupidity that ruins remakes of classic titles?
PC Hardware is Toast
This is why shopping for graphics cards is so stupid and miserable.
The product of fandom run unchecked, this novel began as a short story and grew into something of a cult hit.
id Software Coding Style
When the source code for Doom 3 was released, we got a look at some of the style conventions used by the developers. Here I analyze this style and explain what it all means.