Movies are cool as well

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Narratorway

Re: Movies are cool as well

Post by Narratorway » Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Not unless his arm is sentient!

Okay so Quill before...'the thing' felt like a regression as I said. The guy's always been immature, but throughout his films, he's progressed. So everything having to do with him being jealous of Thor just felt forced, rather awkward, and honestly, pointless. But what really put it into perspective was how they very noticeably didn't do that with Rocket.

I cannot give this movie enough credit for the specific scene where he talks it out with Thor. It's one of the most important scenes for him as a character not just in this movie, but for every movie he's been in and will be in. It's the first time we see him given legitimate responsibility and he not only acknowledges it, he understands it, he respects it, and he acts on it. He gets what's at stake, what this guy is going through and how that is a threat to their goals, but also is empathetic, sympathetic and mature enough to understand how to approach him about it.

Almost none of the GotG characters really 'grow' in this film, which is striking because their movies are the ones where personal growth is given the largest focus compared to the other MCU movies. But with Rocket and that scene in particular, they do acknowledge his growth and build on it.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri May 04, 2018 9:23 pm

I think rocket acts like that not because he is mature,but because he has a respect for asgardians,and thor specifically because thor showed respect to him by assuming he was the captain.All of the nonhumans actually seem to admire asgardians,which is why they marvel thor in such a fashion,while quill is oblivious to his race and reputation.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri May 04, 2018 10:16 pm

Except the act is mature. Even if I agreed with that interpretation - which I don't - it doesn't change that he made a choice on how to act.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Sun May 06, 2018 1:22 am

[1] My wife, on the other hand called it a "resounding meh", though - too much of an ensemble film for her taste, she said.
I agree with your wife about Avengers: Ensemble Ensemble. Even the cameo after the credits didn't add anything.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Double Penetration 2 is not nearly as good as the first one and I don't think that's going to be understood for a while, because everything that's makes it less good is currently being praised as what makes it better than the first...by critics who don't understand what actually made the first one so good. I'm gonna go spoiler from here on out because a big part of what I don't like about this movie revolves around it.

They fridge Venessa. Like, immediately. Even before the credits roll and in fact the credits are just what they think the audiences' reaction to that would be i.e. Directed by: Did that just happen? Here's the thing: She is what made the original DP good, because she was the 'real' part of it. Morena Baccarin transformed what was on a page a literal damsel-in-distress into a character that held her own with The Merc w/ A Mouth. Everything outside of the silly in the original - their courtship and the cancer - was shockingly personal, nuanced and genuine because she made it so and their dynamic was crucial in making that film work*. She's still in the movie for sporadic scenes littered throughout where Wade's swimming in his own head, but it's not as a character so much as it's a 'voice-of-conscience deal...but it absolutely is not the same and it feels it.

With her out of the picture,
the original movie's intimacy is completely gone. They do a gag about how DP still can't afford more than a couple x-men cameos, then show a shot of the x-men cast quietly closing the door to the room they're in behind his back and it feels completely disingenuous because they do get a bunch of mutants. Piles of 'em. This movie's scope is massive, it just...pretends it's not. That may be the films biggest issue: its big in all the messy ways you expect an overblown sequel to an unexpected low-budget hit to be...but it's trying so desperately to make you think it's okay baby, money hasn't changed me! Honest!

For instance: it's 'about something' in the same way people (read: critics) thought the first movie wasn't, because they don't know how subtlety works. The whole thing is about how DP's trying to figure out the importance of 'family' because that's what Venessa was on about just before she got fridged. First, he joins the x-men, screws that up, then creates his own team x-force, screws that up**, then etc all to save this kid from himself and other because Ohana means family and family means never getting left behind! Eventually, it ends with him calling all the new friends he's made 'family'. Not Blind Al, not Negasonic, not even Weasel. Nope. But trust me baby it's all okay! I'm still the same scrapper you fell in love with! Honest!

It still has good jokes going a mile a minute and Domino*** is fantastic! Even the plot kid is...honestly he's hit or miss, but the hits are good ones! Brolin's Cable wavers between being forced to be a purposefully one-note character and subtly nuanced, but not exactly the right kind for a DP movie. Oh and The Juggernaut's in this. He's entirely CGI and he looks teeeeeeerrrible. There's a shot where he is in the background throwing Cable around and the animation is so stiff, you'd think it was from a PS1-era CGI cutscene. I mean the movie quasi-acknowledges how bad he looks, but it's still pretty bad.

I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just...it so clearly doesn't get what elements made the first one so good and that's...well that's just a darn shame now in'it?

*Blind Al also did a lot to carry the heart of the original film too, tbh.

**They die immediately as a gag by the way. Everything in the trailers showing the x-force characters actually doing anything was apparently just a ruse. None of it is in the film except their hiring/skydiving scenes. This wouldn't bother me so much if one of the characters hadn't been played by TERRY FUCKING CREWS. You don't waste him on a gag like that what the hell!!!

***Domino is the only one who survives that initial gag.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Sat May 19, 2018 4:13 am

It took me until "Negasonic" to even figure out what movie you were talking about.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 am

What other movie franchise you think involves x-men that's not an actual x-men movie?
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon May 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Narratorway wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 pm
I didn't like it,
Now that Ive seen it,I get it.You hate it because it spreads the good word.And that word is fuuuuuck.

I cant hate on a movie that finds a way to retcon every bad thing in the past 10 years or so.

And yes,domino is THE badass of the movie.
Narratorway wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:57 pm
Oh and The Juggernaut's in this. He's entirely CGI and he looks teeeeeeerrrible.
Ah,you have not seen x3 then.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Tue May 29, 2018 3:00 am

I have, but him looking shitty live action doesn't suddenly make this version look not-shitty because it aint. Sooo...?

Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Solo is good. That solid, unassuming kind of good. The entire time watching, the thing that struck me the most was...well trying to peg where I'd seen Emilia Clarke before. That was genuinely distracting throughout the entire film by the way.* But no, the other thing that struck me was how...'classic' the filmmaking felt. Like, these other directors - Gareth and Rian - their films felt new...to the point where Rogue One's William's-esque score notably bordered on dissonant. But this film felt like it could have been made back when they were doing those Endor tv movies. I was genuinely curious what new talent they got who could so thoroughly capture such an old-school feel...and then I find out at the end it was directed by Ron Howard.

It's got some silly shit in it and a...bizarre way of going about setting up sequel bait that is almost guaranteed not to happen. Overall though, it's a just a solid bit of fun without any real baggage.

*I did imdb her afterwards and felt like a proper idiot as a result.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Lately I've been having a bad movie night for my friends. We've been screening the Neil Breen catalog. I have three of the four and have just ordered the fourth (and he's working on a fifth). Neil Breen is the American Tommy Wiseau.

All his movies are vanity projects. All his movies are written, directed by and star him. They also all feature Neil Breen as some kind of super awesome protagonist. In Double Down, he's the world's greatest spy hacker, bioterrorist with cancer curing powers (yes). In Fateful Findings, perhaps his most modest protagonist is a best selling author who hacks all the secrets about all the corporate and government corruption ever, and has supernatural powers. In I Am Here Now, he's Alien Cyber Jesus. And in Pass Thru he's Just an all powerful Alien Cyborg who comes to earth to kill all the bad people (meaning lawyers, bankers, entertainment people, politicians, basically anybody with any kind of influence or power).

Which leads to the other feature of his work, his moralizing. Neil Breen to one degree or another is always lecturing everybody about right or wrong. The problem is he has a very simplistic vague view of what "the problem" with "stuff" is and he can't write. To him "the problem" is " all those bad people running the banks and corporations and congress and stuff" but he can't articulate it with any degree of detail. He can't be specific. Which leads to hilarious scenes where evil bankers will just say "I am the evil banker. Good thing I have all the money to pay off the politicians to see my biased view. That way I can get all the kickbacks." That is typical Neil Breen dialog.

I haven't even begun to delve into the man's idiosyncracies. He's an architect turned filmmaker who doesn't know anything about film making and he does what he wants. And he's glorious to behold.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Neil Breen is the American Tommy Wiseau.
But isnt Tommy american too?Personally,Id label Breen as a crazier Tommy Wiseau.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:39 pm
Wide And Nerdy wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 pm
Neil Breen is the American Tommy Wiseau.
But isnt Tommy american too?Personally,Id label Breen as a crazier Tommy Wiseau.
Fair enough. Wiseau is American in the sense that he lives here but the way he writes and talks drives home his foreign origins which is sad because if you read about him its clear he wants people to forget his foreign origins and just treat him like an American but thats just never going to happen with his thick accent and odd mannerisms. Neil Breen is born American.

As to being crazier, yeah I'd agree. In Pass Thru, he murders three hundred million of the wealthiest and most influential people (the problem people) and calls upon the rest of us to continue the purge. He is not subtle.

Though he lacks specificity. Yeah he can tell you that, amongst others, banks are corrupt, but he can't tell you anything about how they're corrupt or what can be done about it other than "expose the corruption" or "kill the bankers"
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:54 pm

I dunno, D.B. Cooper is a pretty American name.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:10 am

Upgrade is every bit as fun, stupid and schlocky as its trailers promised it to be. The thing I noticed most about it is how clearly low budget it is. Like, I saw Dredd in theaters and that thing cost less than 50 mil, which is straight up rom-com money, but its opening shots of Megacity 1 still made it look legit. This movie is slightly less ambitious, but its still trying to present a quasi-future where it pretends self-driving cars are the norm despite the fact that it only shows two self driving cars in the entire film...and they're clearly the same exact car. It wears its overreach like a badge of pride.

Not-Tom-Hardy is INCREDIBLE in this film and carries it through its entirety, which is important because he is literally the only reason to see this film. Every other character is one note and functional, and the plot is...well let's just say that if you didn't figure it out where it was all leading, it's likely because you were giving the movie more credit than it was due. All that's left is the spectacle of this one guy successfully selling the idea that he's not in control of his own body and pulls it off. His dramatic moments as a quadriplegic are fine and nuanced or whatever, but when he goes full ape-shit, it is amazing to watch him bust out with some of the most brutal violence I've seen in a while, all while everything from the neck up looks its just along for the ride.
Retsam

Post by Retsam » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:00 am

Saw Solo, somewhat belatedly. It's was a pretty fun movie... but I'm just not sure if it should exist.

It's, as I've heard midi-chlorians described: "an answer to a question nobody was asking". Unlike midi-chlorians, it's not a dumb answer, but some of the charm of Han's character was his enigmatic past, which is lost a bit with this movie's exhaustive backstory (over a few weeks, no less).

It wasn't a bad story, but I feel like the version that everyone's imagined for the last 40 years was probably better.

And yeah, that bit at the end is weird. Surely they're not planning a Solo 2 (having seemingly exhausted Solo's backstory in this movie, if for no other reason), but there was definitely some unresolved baggage at the end of this film.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Ok,Ill talk about antman and the wasp* first as a stand alone movie,without getting into the mid credits thing.It was an enjoyable b movie.A high budget one,but still a b movie.Its full of cheese,humor,nonsense,callbacks and nice visuals.The car chase where they combine small,regular and big sizes was especially fun.Also the whole truth serum** gag.And hey,they beat the villain without violence.Good job.And no one died in this one either.***Its also a movie that knows what it is and does not pretend to be something different.They even show a clip of an old cheesy b movie in the ending.

As for the post credits scenes...Massive spoilers ahead:
JadedDM wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:48 pm
even though I expected something bad to happen,
I knew perfectly well that it would happen.I knew that the movie was taking place before infinity war.Heck,I even joked with friends before the movie "Hey,we beat the bad guy.Yay us.PLOP,oh no!Wasp is dust!".So I knew that whatever happens in this movie,ultimately most,if not all,of these people will simply vanish after the events of the movie happen.But even then,before the movie,I said that the worst way to end the movie would be to have them vanish.And I also heard people online say the exact same thing after the infinity war,because thats when everyone got the trailer for this movie.It was not the most accurate prediction though.The absolute worst way to end this movie is to have a happy ending,insert the vanish thing as the first post credit scene,and then have the second post credit scene be a funny callback.Its just such a horrible whiplash that really does not fit here.The fact that its not permanent doesnt change that.It did not make me sad either,it just made me frustrated because of the dissonance.Peter dying in tonys hands,that was a sad scene.This was just a bullshit tie in,even in a series of movies full of tie ins of various quality.

*Though I guess they should call it antmen and the wasps.Because it has two of both.
**And of course truth serums dont work like that.BUT,if you want to see a real truth serum in action,Michael Stevens,the Vsauce guy,actually filmed himself being given the truth serum.It works,but in a much different way than in movies.Its more like getting drunk and loose than randomly spouting the truth.If you arent subscribed to youtube red,sorry youtube premium,maybe he will entice you to give it a try.
***Ok,those were nasty car crashes,and chances of everyone surviving those are pretty slim.But its a movie,and if its not shown on screen,it did not happen.So no one died.Except in flashbacks.Which also dont count.
JadedDM

Post by JadedDM » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Before the movie, I tried to imagine the most depressing ending possible:

Scott holding Cassie, while she says, "Daddy, I don't feel so good..." while Scott yells, "Peanut?! Peanut, no!"

So in comparison, the actual ending wasn't so bad.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 pm

The absolute worst way to end this movie is to have a happy ending,insert the vanish thing as the first post credit scene,and then have the second post credit scene be a funny callback.
Hardly. Point of fact, it'd be the safest way to end it, but yeah...safest is always the worst because movie hipster.* If there's one thing I do appreciate about that end credits scene, its that they decided to use it in the trailer as an actual gag shot. In the movie, it still keeps that emergency broadcast sound going through the whole thing, so it has a nice dark tinge to it.

As for the movie itself...it's firmly situated on the fine side of the meh spectrum. My first thoughts after the movie ended were of how loose the MCU movies have gotten from their roots in terms of how relatable the world building is. Like Ant-Man, pretty much every aspect of Pym's tech can be described thusly:

And yeah yeah, 'it's a comic book movie', 'that's not the focus of the story', and all that crap. I don't care. It still bugs me Hank can shrink down a building, treat it like Delta Airlines, pop it back up and its structural integrity is never commented on...and then do it again a half dozen goddamn times. Reducing the consequences of the actions of the world reduces how relatable the world is and more importantly reduces the stakes. I'm simply not going to care as much when I know the writers are willing to shrug off obstacles keeping the heroes from their goals.

For comparison, the MCU started out with a movie that began with the main character being caught by terrorists due to an ambush of a military convoy in the middle east three years before we found Bin Laden. A big element of what caught people by surprise about Iron Man is how grounded they were able to make the concept of a b-grade 60's era comic book character for a modern age...and still have it be a compelling story to tell.

I guess the real reason I'm focusing so much on this is because the movie itself is so inconsequential, that its lack of consequence is the only thing to talk about. It moves at a brisk pace, criminally under utilizes almost half its cast...mostly the villains - pseudo or otherwise, and...uh...yeah. I genuinely can't event think of a third thing.

Oh, right. Side note:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:11 pm
And of course truth serums dont work like that.

*#rolleyes