TV shows are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Andrew

Re: TV shows are cool

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:20 am

Good to know!

Not that I really have time for a new show at this point but I am more than happy to put it on the backburner.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:59 am

Just watched the latest episode of The Magicians. Liked it. Kind of sucks it was a Julia centered episode. Julia is still the 2nd weakest character. The only one worse is Marina. Which is fine, as Marina is dead. Except this episode appears to have brought her back permanently! And then it fucked over the existing Penny's arc plus puts Nu-Penny into a mopey love triangle? FFS! Good episode but I cringe at the bad episodes to come. Yet again Julia manages to bring the entire show down.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:22 pm

I actually like zen julia.Not a fan of the other timeline people.Except for the dean,but he does not cross over.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:50 am

Finished watching Travelers this week (well, finished AND started to be fair).

Despite some of the mind numbingly huge loopholes I really enjoyed it. The episodes were, for the most party, extremely enjoyable even if most of them did end abruptly with not much follow through or closure on the main themes of each episode.

I actually enjoyed it so much that I was super disappointed with how season 2 ended. It just felt like they had no real aim or purpose towards the end. I get what 001 was doing and what his goal was but what was the purpose of exposing the Travelers program? And why didn't the Director ever step in? I guess in a roundabout way by exposing the Travelers it's possible that the Director is never built... but then the Travelers would never exist... and around we go. I also don't really see the link between Simon and 001 at the very end - I mean, yes, Simon built the device that let 001 transfer his mind into Dr Perrow's* mind but how does 001 know that if Simon was hallucinating the whole thing? Or was it just the very end, when he thought 001 was with him, that he was hallucinating?

Anyway, I did really enjoy it but I just don't know what or how they're going to resolve this for season 3 and bring back all of the regular cast members (and yes, it has been renewed for season 3).

*Perhaps the best bit of news in the entire series is that this possibly means Amanda Tapping will be a regular cast member in season 3. That would just be superb.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:34 am

Sooo,I gave up on timeless completely.I tried watching the recent episode,and it was just so boring.Also,I watched more than half of it,and only then realized that I was watching the third episode without watching the second.And the episode had a "previously on".That just shows how little of substance is actually happening in any of the episodes.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:30 am

Ok let's discuss Travelers with big black bars:
001 exposed the Travelers program for two main reasons I saw. First he is trying to destroy The Director. That's evidenced by him trying to get the meteorite. Second he wants to live his life without being on the fringes and effectively crazy. Part of that is starting with a new body. As for the paradox, I don't think that matters. In season 1 it is explicitly stated that the entire goal of "The Grand Plan" is to destroy the future and create a new one that they expect they won't exist in. It's a giant suicide mission. 001 is clearly ok with whatever paradoxes he creates. Which is no surprise since he did believe in the The Grand Plan to start with.

As for the specific end scene with 001 + Simon, I don't remember the scene. I remember that I did understand what was going on. I also felt that they could have done a better job with it. 001 knew it would work because he did test and check Simon's work. Failed tests is how Marcy got brain damage. They left it vague on purpose when Dr Perrow was supplanted by 001. Like you said, any scene with Simon + 001 cannot be trusted. I believe that final episode is designed so that you have to watch it twice to fully understand what happened. (Which I did. It was just a while ago now.)
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Magicians again. Damn, I've grown to love this show! Every episode is better than the last. I think there's just 1 more episode this season. I'm going to miss it. It makes me laugh so hard I cry. They can put these great funny moments right next to genuinely touching moments. Bestiality ends up being both a funny joke and a endearing "aww that's so sweet."

Even the "previously on" header is great. "Now if you would please refer to the hookup-slash-murder chart." Josh adds so much with so little.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Eat my ass.
Eat my ass.
Eat.
My.
Ass.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:46 pm

The rabbits are brilliant. Who comes up with that idea? The writers must be on so many drugs that it dwarfs the catering bill.
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:27 am

I watched the first season of The Frankenstein Chronicles, which was surprisingly good. The acting is kinda flat and stilted at times because I guess that's just how you play the time period, but the characters are all interesting and multidimensional, the central mystery goes through a lot of cool twists and turns, and the very ending made me jump up and shout YESSSSSS for all the best reasons. I'm skeptical about season two, so I've been putting it off, but I'll probably get around to it eventually, and hopefully it'll live up.

I also watched the second season of Jessica Jones(i have not seen the first) just by an unwillingness to get up and do something else while a partner was watching it, and it was mmmmmbleh. It was about three episodes too long, it doesn't properly address any of the themes it seems to be trying for, Jessica doesn't ever really get to make any decisions or shine as a character, and Jesus God, Trish, fucking chill! And keep to your own damn self!
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 am

The second season of legion is just as crazy as the first.Really,theres not much to say about it other than that its the craziest thing on tv.Not the usual "Normal things shown in a weird way",but actual real craziness.At one point,syd is holding a cat.Why?Well,so that we can see her licking herself.What other reason would there be?At another point there is a....guy with a basket over his head,surrounded by three mustached women in skin tight suits who talk for him....or is it actually a single four personed mutant....I have no idea....but I do know that in front of every woman there is a big magnifying glass so that we can see their mustaches up close.Why? . . . . . . . Comics????And of course,there is a pretty long,fully choreographed,dance off.Why? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So yeah,I do recommend it.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:35 pm

Is there anything creepier than a mind of a child in a body of a god destroying monster?Appleman sold this one in a bone chilling way.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:31 pm

The Magicians season finale. OMG They lost. Hard. Not much more to say.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:41 am

You people need to stop talking about Magicians in such a positive way.

I am going to want to start watching it and I don't have time for another TV show...
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 am

Sure you do.Arrow and legends are going to end their seasons soon.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:08 am

Yes, but The Expanse, The 100 and Elementary are just about to start!!
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:12 am

Those can wait.They are just one a week,but with magicians you have three full seasons to binge.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am

I guess if it comes down to Magicians or Legion I will probably choose Magicians first..
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Fun fact: They reuse some of the same sets on both shows.
Supah Ewok

Post by Supah Ewok » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:44 pm

How is Elementary still possibly going?
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Supah Ewok wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:44 pm
How is Elementary still possibly going?
One episodes at a time.
Andrew wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am
I guess if it comes down to Magicians or Legion I will probably choose Magicians first..
But first,you really need to catch up with gotham.Because the ending of the last episode was laugh out loud.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:47 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 pm
But first,you really need to catch up with gotham.Because the ending of the last episode was laugh out loud.
You know I've discovered that Gotham is the kind of show I prefer to binge watch. I can't handle watching it one episode at a time because I'm always left wanting more.

But if I let them build up I can binge 4 or 5 episodes over a weekend and it's much more satisfying.

That is all to say, I will start watching Gotham very soon now that it's nearly over.

Oh, and the Lost in Space reboot is released this week as well. I forgot about that. It could be good.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:06 am

Ok and with that I've restarted Gotham.

I like that they are continuing the strife between Harvey and Gordon. I have no doubt it will come together for them eventually but for now at least they are not wiping the slate clean and bringing them back together and pretending there were no issues between them.

I must be tired because I didn't see the "twist" with Ed and Crank coming. I legit thought it would be some sort of inter-gang warfare thing going on.

Other than that... I... I... I really don't like this new Ivy. It's not saying much because I didn't like the previous 2 Ivy's either. Maybe this one will grow on me.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Going through imdb of dexter to link for my comment,I glanced the "also liked" section and....So people who liked dexter also liked:
Breaking bad - this makes sense
Narcos - like the previous one,makes sense
Prison break - yup
Sherlock - umm...ok,I can kiinda see the connection
True detective - ...really stretching it now
Lost - . . . . . errrr...people are in love with bullshit endings?
Game of thrones - . . . . . . . . . . . . people like shows that start out strong then go downhill while still having great actors??
House - . . . . . Ummmm,Hugh Laurie is amazing and everyone loves him regardless of what else they are watching???
Westworld - . . . . . . . I got nothing
Stranger things -

In conclusion the "also liked" section is basically useless.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:27 pm
Going through imdb of dexter to link for my comment,I glanced the "also liked" section and....So people who liked dexter also liked:
Breaking bad - this makes sense
Narcos - like the previous one,makes sense
Prison break - yup
Sherlock - umm...ok,I can kiinda see the connection
True detective - ...really stretching it now
Lost - . . . . . errrr...people are in love with bullshit endings?
Game of thrones - . . . . . . . . . . . . people like shows that start out strong then go downhill while still having great actors??
House - . . . . . Ummmm,Hugh Laurie is amazing and everyone loves him regardless of what else they are watching???
Westworld - . . . . . . . I got nothing
Stranger things -

In conclusion the "also liked" section is basically useless.
I read this, and I think that what it's saying is that "Some TV shows are real popular".