Watching other people have fun

Talk about nerdgames FOR NERDS.
Sudanna

Watching other people have fun

Post by Sudanna » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:01 am

Recorded tabletop RPG gameplay has become the majority of the media I consume, eclipsing most anything else in both time spent and level of interest/engagement. It's been there for a while. I do treat them mostly like podcasts, listening while reading or gaming or doing chores, but that's how I do almost all of my passive media consumption unless I'm watching something with someone else or reading on my lunch break.

My go-tos are RollPlay and Roll20's official content, both largely but not exclusively GMed by Adam Koebel. I also frequent The Drunk and the Ugly and this Vampire: the Masquerade campaign. I'm aware of Critical Role and several primarily Twitch-based groups, but really didn't find them interesting at all. There's The Adventure Zone too, of course, which I'm extremely lukewarm about. It's fine, but I could list things I don't like about it for hours, mainly things about Griffin personally. Lots of the content in this sphere seems horrible in the way Twitch tends to make things horrible - sensationalism and overfocus on the audience - and stink of a weird overproduction and too-self-conscious performativity. Which I guess can tell you part of what I value in the things I follow. Does anyone else spend much time with this sort of thing? Any major recommendations?
Last edited by Sudanna on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve C

Re: Watching other people have fun

Post by Steve C » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:40 am

I really liked Harmon Quest. Which uhh...
Lots of the content in this sphere seems horrible in the way Twitch tends to make things horrible - sensationalism and overfocus on the audience - and stink of a weird overproduction and too-self-conscious performativity.
I'm guessing you'd probably hate it by that comment. If a podcast etc is just people sitting around and playing a tabletop RPG, I don't find that particularly interesting to listen to or watch. For me to enjoy it has to have an angle. I don't like Critical Role/Adventure Zone. I'd far prefer to listen in on a table at the back of a gaming store than listen to either of those two. Or play myself. In fact, Harmon Quest is the only one I've liked as it is more of an extended improv comedy than a campaign.

I listened to a random clip of Adam Koebel spend 25seconds describing a npc cast Bless. Then another 35sec to finish the mechanics of Bless. A full minute resolving a level 1 spell. We like diametrically opposed things.

EDIT: Oh yeah, plus Shut Up & Sit Down did a couple that were enjoyable. Boardgames are their thing though. Not normally tabletop RPGs.
Sudanna

Post by Sudanna » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:14 am

We like diametrically opposed things.
Yep.
SleepingDragon

Post by SleepingDragon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:35 am

I've really liked what I've seen of games run by Adam Koebel (so far Mirrorshades and I'm about halfway through Swansong). If I ever manage to run a campaign again (my RP/boardgame group sort of disintegrated sometime last year) I'm hoping to include some elements of his style.

If you like their work Loading Ready Run have recently started a new series called Dice Friend where they intend to play various RPGs but are currently still on their first campaign (session 8 I believe). It's some rather light and humorous 5th edition D&D with some houseruling, Dale seems to be one of those GMs who don't let rules get too much in the way of having a good game. The VODs are available on their Twitch, I don't think they share the issues that you think of when you're talking about Twitch games but you'll have to judge for yourself, and are posted on their main YouTube channel with slight delay (though those lack the pre-game banter and obviously the chat, chat does not participate in the game other than an occasional question that the tech person decides to pass on but LRR Twitch chat is extremely well behaved in comparison and in my opinion is sometimes rather entertaining in its own right).

I cannot post links right now since I'm at work and about half the internet is blocked here but LRR should be easy enough to google out.