New Host, New Database, Same old forums

Talk about the site itself. It's so meta!
Peter200lx

New Host, New Database, Same old forums

Post by Peter200lx » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:22 am

Hello all, we're now live on the new host with the forums. Please use this thread to raise any issues you discover (hopefully none).
John

Re: New Host, New Database, Same old forums

Post by John » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm

It's alive! Thank you, sir!
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:34 am

Dark Theme works. That's all!

(and thanks, it's great to be back!!)
Retsam

Post by Retsam » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:23 pm

Would it be possible for "forums.shamusyoung.com" to redirect to "shamusyoung.com/forums"? I've got years of muscle-memory of relying on chrome autocomplete: "sha" to open the blog, and "for" to open the forums. I've inadvertently done google searches for the word "for" an embarrassing number of times in the last week.

Obviously this a really trivial issue, and I'm sure I'll eventually adapt to the new system, but on the off-chance that it'd be easy to set up a redirect, I figured I'd ask.

TL;DR:

Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Dont know what browser you are using,but you should be able to add "for" in the list of search engines.Thats how I solved the problem.Now instead of opera googling "for" it automatically goes to here.
Trix2000

Post by Trix2000 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:08 pm

I agree that might be nice - I thought these were still down until today because my old link was still not working, and just decided to try the site link on a whim.

Or maybe something else was wrong on my end, I don't know. Either way, wooooo forums back.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:34 am

Hah, count me as another who got blindsided by the missing subdomain. Geez, one week already huh?
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 pm

For me, it's that I get here through FF's url autofill. I came here so often, I just needed to press 'f' and this was the first thing to pop up.

Side note: About the whole fracas regarding some of the themes causing problems, in the end, was it confirmed the themes were the cause and can't be returned? I really liked the one I was using...even if I can't remember what it was called. :P
Peter200lx

Post by Peter200lx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:08 am

I've raised the 'forums.shamusyoung.com' redirect question with Shamus, but I don't have the ability to implement that myself.

As for old themes, we had to update because of going to a new version of phpBB. Unless a theme is specifically updated for the new version we have to leave it behind.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Hmm...should I be Kirk Cameron sad or Nicolas Cage sad...?
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Depends on who the theme resembles the most.
JadedDM

Post by JadedDM » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:52 am

Well, after three months of just thinking the forums were down, I found this place. >_>
Supah Ewok

Post by Supah Ewok » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 am

Yeah, Shamus could really do with putting a link to this place back on the blog page... how're folks supposed to find it otherwise?
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:14 am

Supah Ewok wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 am
Yeah, Shamus could really do with putting a link to this place back on the blog page... how're folks supposed to find it otherwise?
I think that's considered a feature rather than a drawback.
Supah Ewok

Post by Supah Ewok » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:55 pm

4th Dimension wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:14 am
Supah Ewok wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:24 am
I think that's considered a feature rather than a drawback.
I'm not even talking about new people. As Jaded exemplifies, some of the old regulars still don't know the forums are back up. The first old face that pops to my mind is Ringwraith, last online right before the forums were taken down. There's probably others.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:10 am

Maybe just do a mass email send to those that haven't logged in since the transfer?

Or yeah, advertise this place better. Then again the link on the top of the main page to this place does work.
JadedDM

Post by JadedDM » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:41 pm

There's no link to the forums on the blog anymore, though. I had assumed Shamus would put it back up once the forums went back up, which is why it took me so long to realize they were back up. I only found out because in a recent blog post, in the comments, Spooner started referring to the forums in present tense, like they were still up. This led me to try googling the forums to find the new address, because the old one still wouldn't work.
Supah Ewok

Post by Supah Ewok » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Yeah, I was waiting to get back to a computer to get a screenshot, but I was 99% sure that there hasn't been a forums link on the blog since the last redesign.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:12 am

Ahhh, I see.

No the button IS there:
(note the second to last element. Also click to open a bigger version)

The problem is that if you have a screen narrower than 1900px or like, only the elements of the ccarousel on the left are shown and anything that doesn't fit is dropped.

And more importantly THERE IS NOTHING to indicate that there might be OTHER elements of the header carousel to the right.

Hell, until I stretched this across TWO SCREENS, I didn't even know there was a music link there.

PS. I'm not sure how one would solve this?
Maybe add a javascript powered arrows that appears when one mouses over the far left/right, that allows for the thing to be scrolled?
Or just enable the scrollbars on the div? No, that makes the thing have vertical scrollbars since the content when overflowing goes into the next row rather than to the right....

Hmm.

A MAXIMUM fancy solution I guess would be to hardcode various sizes of the screen for each of the elements, so that all elements that can't be displayed, are displayed below the main carousel as just text links?
Wonder if there is a CSS selector for the overflowing elements?
Or just javascript the shit out of it. But I tend to go for CSS since I was never comfortable with javascript.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:43 am

I can't see it either; on my screen, DMotR is the last feature, and the four items after it are only visible if I zoom the tab out to 70%.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 am

4th Dimension wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:12 am
Ahhh, I see.

No the button IS there:
I had no idea.

And previously,there were buttons that scrolled the thing left and right.I guess it was one of the many wordpress features dropped during the move and wordpress update.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:39 am

Huh. I wonder on what screens are you viewing the site for them to be narrower than 1900? I don't think it's smartphones because those trigger teh slimming down to phone version which doesn't even have the header buttons.
Tablets or something?
Or monitors smaller than 21"?
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:51 pm

I just prefer my browser to be zoomed in for everything.If a page reeeallly does not want to cooperate,its easy to zoom out and see whats the fuss about.But most pages are done with helpful formating these days that just jumbles stuff around making everything smooth.The only problem occurs in rare cases like this one,where the main text is narrow while the header is wide and unformatted.However,in the case of the blog,I already knew everything that was in the header,so I did not even check it before this.
JadedDM

Post by JadedDM » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:39 pm

My computer monitor is about 14 inches wide.