DM of the Rings LXIX:
New Dimensions in Storage

on Feb 28, 2007

Aragorn uses his pack.

Aragorn uses his pack.

Aragorn uses his pack.

Observing that the “pack” in D&D is a much-abused simplification is not going to result in forehead-slapping revelations on the part of anyone who has played the game. We know this, already.

Still, it is amusing to see how eagerly these compromises are embraced. Even “hardcore” gamers are happy to treat the average knapsack as a soundproof bag which will distribute the weight of the contents evenly over the body of the wearer. I guess it’s good that geeks don’t go outside very often, or someone would notice this and come up with a set of complex knapsack simulation rules that would make GURPS look like checkers.

A Hundred!20206We've got 146 comments. But one more probably won't hurt.

1. Salen says:

Oh gawds! The Tardis. Ok, that was just freakin’ awesome! And I’ll be the first to admit that when I’m playing a thief character, that backpack is as light as a feather, noiseless, doesn’t weight me down and I can still sneak and hide and jump my way to a wonderful sneak attack. ^_^

2. Steve says:

Some thoughts:

Our campaign also had easy access to the bag of holding and the haversack. This was primarily so the DM didn’t have to argue with the players over encumberance.

But.

The BOH is a duffel-like affair that many players wear on their back (ask ’em). How many times does a dungeon garrison have to be attacked and worked over by adventurers before they learn to shoot at the bag? Take a look at the results of ripping one in the DM handbook.

If I were playting the Goblin sergeant-at-arms, my first question to the DM when sighting adventurers would be “do any of them have a duffel about so big strapped to their back?”. Then, I would direct all archers to target them. The sight of an umpty-tump level adventurer suddenly having to come to terms with x pounds of junk exploding out of thin air against the remains of the BOH on his/her back would be worth severl thousand XPs. I might even get my gobbo archers to sing “Rocket Man” as it happens. If the French taught us anything, it is that nothing hurts more than a good taunting (except for an airborn cow of course).

Then the look on the party’s faces as they come to terms with only being able to take what they can carry with them. Priceless.

I would do the same to any especially swank looking haversacks too. The buggers may well walk all over my goblin brothers and steal us blind, but they will do it the hard way or not at all. :o)

I’m a miserable DM at times. The temptation to have a cylinder of metal, welded shut with all sorts of magical symbols on it to pique interest, and a nicely rolled up portable hole tucked inside it would be overwhelming. “Yes, you do detect magic. A very powerful aura too.”

And finally, one for the types who never seem to need a light source taken from my very first attempt to make a dungeon in 1975. Put magical torches on sconces on the walls of both corridors and rooms. A corridor torch will only burn in a corridor and will extinguish itself when moved into a room. It will spontaneously relight upon moving into a corridor. The room torches work the same way but only light in rooms. Have some unlit torches lying around some rooms. Eventually someone will pack some into a bag or haversack. Than they step into the corridor and magical fire blooms anew. It is up to you if this destroys the bag or harms the contents, but it should singe the crap out of any face poked into the bag at the very least. Even if you rule the torches burn out all the air and go out (I wouldn’t, but that’s me) I can tell you from experience what happens when you seal a vessel with fire in it, wait a bit, then pop the lid. “Say fare-thee-well to thine eyebrows at the very least if you are stupid enough to do it” is a decent summary. I was lucky to keep my sight.

As always, the strip is delightful, and the comments mostly insightful. I enjoy reading both.

Thanks Shamus, readers.

Steve.

• lunjan says:

we in fact regularly have custom made chaimail to fit our extradimensional containers… makes ’em weigh a bit more, but really cuts down on the explosive decompression

• WJS says:

I’m not sure why anyone building a dungeon would use such convoluted torches rather than regular Continual Flame ones (smells a bit like metagaming to me).

I would, however, argue that there’s no reason why magical fire should use up any oxygen. It sure doesn’t use up fuel, right?

3. -Chipper says:

OK, Steve, you get all the cleverness points for today. I had to stop reading at one point because I was laughing about the exploding bag-of-holding. :-D

4. Thad says:

I’m reminded of a comment I read somewhere (don’t ask me where) about how a paladin can be in full plate armour and have tons of penalties, but if he took the armour off and carried it, bing, no problems!

5. Dave H. says:

>>Thad Says:
    >>February 28th, 2007 at 3:24 pm
    >>Don’t forget to have in the pack the ever useful 10 foot pole!

Our cleric always carried a bag of live mice. Tie one to the end of the pole, walk with pole stretched out ahead: Instant “life force” to set off any unseen glyphs or other nasty surprises… In fact, our standard way of telling the DM “we’re going to go this way until something causes us to change our minds” was “Ok, Frank, mousemousemouse over to here…”

6. Robert says:

That will work well, Dave…until Mustif, the protector god of mice, decides to wreak his terrible revenge upon you…

Is there anything more fun than punishing players for their creativity? (Well, other than pushing old people down on icy sidewalks. That’s always #1.)

7. Justin – Just saw your post, and I agree 100%. It always tweaks me when I see people over-estimate the weights of medieval weapons. I think all D&D players should be required to read the ARMA website (www.thearma.com). John Clements and George Turner have done yoeman’s work debunking stuff like this, and they really should get more credit about it.

8. Shard says:

Classic!! In our games, backpacks never get in the way. We never leave them in inns or anything. They’re almost grafted onto our backs – our players carry them when they go shopping and the only way to separate us is by knocking us out and stealing them or dropping us into water. Then you’ll see the fastest record in discarding eq.

One of my DMs in 2nd Ed. gave me a portable hole once. No other DM has ever made the same mistake again.

We were agonizing how to defeat a dragon when I suddenly produced my character sheet and point to the 2 20 lb-barrels of smokepowder in my portable hole and suggested blowing it to bits.

40 lbs of smokepowder makes for a LOT of damage but at that time the sentiments were like…. Great Idea!! but Umm.. who’s lighting the fuse? Makes for a LOT of damage in a PRETTY LARGE radius.

9. Uri says:

In a recent Underdark campaign I’m playing, normally I hate Underdark type campaigns, every one is drow and everyone is just so asinine, but I convinced the DM that he should let me play an Orog… well suffice it to say weight means nothing now, rolled 18 for base str then add the racial and the girdle I got asap for +6 str and I no longer care for encumberance or bags that hold magical things, when my big guy leaves town he takes 1 weeks rations and 1 waterskin, cause flat out enuf ppl I take down have more food and water on them the rest of my back pack is rope and large sacks. Just keep roping the sacks together as I fill’em up. Don’t need any other equipment cause Have a 30 str or better makes up for no equips and bads ranks in a skill. besides I’m a warrior all my important stuff is strength based.

10. Kax says:

Note on the GURPS reference: D&D 3.5 is actually more complex than GURPS unless you are using the optional Martial Arts rules, and even they don’t add much…
    I run both, and prefer to GURPS combat system to the D&D one–less exceptions to handle, often quicker to run..

11. Wonderduck says:

Rebecca Says:
    Stop! Hammerspace!

Considering we’re talking about a TARDIS here, wouldn’t that be better as:

“Stop! Hammerspace/time!”?

/I feel geekier just having typed that…

12. Dave says:

GURPS like checkers.. priceless… though.. like Kax says, GURPS combat is like a streamlined game.. D&D is like.. well a cross between an algebra lesson and a horoscope reading.

13. Nogard Codesmith says:

[Thad] That particular conversation about the full plate armor being less of a restriction when carried than worn was on the Order of the Stick forums. I was just reading that yesterday ^_^

14. anachronist says:

Attorney At Chaos Says: “People in our gaming group believe that HEWARDS HANDY HAVERSACK is one of the best bargains in magic items that exists. It tends to be the first item they seek to purchase or make or find – but they also don’t tend to abuse it.”

Same here. When you have a DM who’s strict about encumbrance, Heward’s Handy Haversack is the best value for the money of ANY wondrous item. Of course, nobody in our group considered Steve’s suggestion above that enemies would target the Haversacks or Bag of Holding. A DM who does that would be cruel, sort of like letting the party find 50,000 gp worth of scrap iron, and when the party goes to get a caravan of wagons to collect and sell it, they return to find the pile has been eaten by rust monsters…. -A

15. Tonko says:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA the TARDIS!

I remember in my last game, though, we didn’t keep exact track of stuff but we did try to make some slight sense. I couldn’t for example grab a million paper scrolls without damaging them, and we gave some throwaway moments to gettings sacks or chests or pack mules.

Though on the other hand there was that on time my BF’s old game had a blackguard running around desecrating stuff left and right… then someone bothered to look up the material components and realized he was supposed to have had like a pound or ten of powdered silver each time. Heh.

16. Chaon says:

Not D & D, but I’ve always wanted to attend a Con dressed as a generic fighter, carrying a backpack-sized quiver of 350 arrows. When asked about it, I’d reply that I was a character from Diablo.

17. Snake says:

I cripple myself in D&D games because I cannot bring myself to ignore the mental image of my character with a huge rucksack front and back like some Antipodean tourist stuck in the Tube doors at Paddington station. I much prefer urban adventures for that reason. The others, more sensibly, gloss over it and don’t let it bother them. So my character carries nothing that she can’t either wear or fit in a pocket or belt pouch, while everyone else has one of each type of weapon, five of each type of arrow, 200′ rope, a four-man tent etc etc.

Interestingly, it’s the DM who is always trying to force extra stuff on me and telling me not to worry about it! It’s killing him trying to balance the fights so that the monsters who challenge my not-so-hardcore comrades don’t finish me off in one swipe. So be careful what you wish for…

18. Andi says:

I played with someone years ago who liked to take everything and the kitchen sink. The DM broke him of the habit by including a rather nastily cursed, but otherwise useless item, in among a bunch of loot one time. The rest of us didn’t give it a second glance, but that one player quickly grabbed it.

It stuck to his hand. His WEAPON hand. Permanently. :-)

(He did get pretty good with it as a weapon, though…)

I play Call of Cthulhu now more than D&D, and this problem of “grab everything in sight” doesn’t really exist there. Instead, it’s usually the opposite:

GM: On the table you see a book bound in what appears to be leather.

Players: (Look at each other uncomfortably)

GM: Do any of you want to take the book?

Player 1: Uh, are you sure it’s leather? Can I do any kind of check to make sure it’s not really human skin?

Player 2: I’m not reading another book. Not after the last time.

Player 3: But you’re the only one who knows Latin.

Player 2: I don’t care. I’ve got 5 SAN points left. If I even _touch_ that thing, I’m done.

Player 1: You know what, on second thought, I don’t want to know if it isn’t leather.

GM: Okay, well, what about the small, obsidian statue next to it?

Players: (Look at each other uncomfortably…)

We spend more time in CoC debating who’s going to get stuck with the item. Kind of like my old D&D DM slipping in that cursed item — only you expect curses on EVERYTHING! :-)

On the plus side, it makes us think long and hard about whether we really want an item in any RPG we play.

19. -Chipper says:

So how often do DMs think about the encumbrance of the players’ opponents? Obviously animals won’t have that concern, but what about roving orcs and kobolds and such? If they are carrying stuff worth plundering, does it affect their fighting?

20. Attorney At Chaos says:

Damien Walder said “Another thing – you notice in D&D we rarely talk about the weather?”

I’m generally the exception to this – I frequently make weather extremes part of my game. The last campaign involved a trek on the Great Glacier during blizzard conditions, the previous one involved widespread continuous storms and major flooding over half a continent.

21. Namfoodle says:

I had a friend who didn’t want to be too specific about equipment. He would scrawl things like “much rope” on his character sheet. (How much rope? As much as we need, I guess) It also came to pass during a game that he needed a ruling from the DM about which was bigger: a “bu**-load” or a “f***-load”

Definately more of a Beer & Pretzels thing when he was playing.

Good Times, though, good times.

22. Dave H. says:

I’m not a shill for these guys, but I just saw this and thought I’d share it. Shamus, feel free to moderate this post into oblivion if you think it’s inappropriate, with my apologies.

23. SketchSepahi says:

Connor: [picking out weapons and gear] Do ya know what we need, man? Some rope.
    Murphy: Absolutely. What are you, insane?
    Mom says: “Sam eased the pack on his shoulders, and went over anxiously in his mind all the things he had stowed in it…’Rope!’ he muttered. ‘No rope! And only last [session] you said to yourself: “Sam, what about a bit of rope? You’ll want it, if you haven’t got it.” Well, I’ll want it. I can’t get it now.’”

I says:

Connor: No I ain’t. Charlie Bronson’s always got rope.
    Murphy: What?
    Connor: Yeah. He’s got a lot of rope strapped around him in the movies, and they always end up using it.
    Murphy: You’ve lost it, haven’t ya?
    Connor: No, I’m serious.
    Murphy: That’s stupid. Name one thing you’d need a rope for.
    Connor: You don’t fuckin’ know what you’re gonna need it for. They just always need it.
    Murphy: What’s this ‘they’ shit? This isn’t a movie.
    Connor: Oh, right.

24. Sarah says:

Is anyone else old enough to have read “Divine Right’s Trip” in the Last Whole Earth Catalog, back in the 70’s? this reminds me of the Lone Outdoorsman and all his equipment, “jingling like a hardware store”.

That bag of holding too, that reminds me of a traditional native story told by Joe Bruchac, about (if I recall correctly) Gluskabi and his magic bag woven out of hair by his Grandmother Woodchuck. He hid all the animals in the world in it. Interesting to see its descendant in RPGs!

25. Tom says:

Heh, very good. Back when I use to attend GenCon *cough* 20 years ago there was a couple of guys who would do a panel about this that was a lot of fun. They’d get one volunteer from the audience and then load him up with the typical 1st level D&D fighter crap; chain shirt, helmet, shield, sword, 10 ft pole, 10 iron spikes, grapple hook, 2 weeks of iron rations, etc… Then yell, “the orcs are attacking over there! Go to it!” such fun. On the other hand I know a couple of guys in the SCA who would easily toss the sack aside draw the sword and have at it.

26. TX Knight says:

Lol! As a backpacker enthusiast I’ve always marveled at the incredible engineering of D&D backpacks. Good one. :-)

27. Ben Finkel says:

Tooth and Claw was indeed a good episode. Viva la TARDIS! Le Docor es superior!

I love DMotR, Shamus. Amazing job.

Ben

28. Marijana says:

what he has is a LUGGAGE!!!! following him everywhere

29. Nice depiction, sir. Bring us more!

~Adaen

30. […] the whole extended-panel post. It reminds me of our group’s rogue, Lorenzo, who is continually one pound away from exiting […]

31. Perlandria says:

“I guess it’s good that geeks don’t go outside very often, or someone would notice this and come up with a set of complex knapsack simulation rules that would make GURPS look like checkers.”

HA! My stupid ROTC Twilight 2000 DM did exactly that.
    We learned to dread any hits to the vehicles that were near any arms stores. We lost more vehicles to our own grenades accidentally going off than anything else.

32. Daemian Lucifer says:

I love using custom rules for encubarance.One player tried to fool them by dressing two chains(I didnt allow them all in backpacks)so he can carry them to the shop.Oh the funny penalties he got for that mwahahaha!

33. Aileen says:

I just had a nerd attack with the TARDIS reference. Awesome connection, a trifecta really. D&D, Doctor Who, LOTR.

34. Atanamir says:

In the Middle-earth game I ran, we instituted this thing called the “Party Pocket”. Whenever a player was absent, his character and all his stuff went into the Pocket so that he’d be with the party when the player showed up, but couldn’t interact with anything or anyone while inside. Probably a fairly common technique. Kept me or the other players from abusing the character as an NPC.

One time, the party had just ridden across Rohan, no longer needed the mounts and sent them back riderless. I was feeling vindictive, and since nobody mentioned that they had unladen the horses, I ruled that they hadn’t. And that the Party Pocket was with the luggage. Next week when one of the Pocketed players shows up he appears on the back of a horse galloping across the grasslands with no idea where he is. Also, this guy was a dwarf, so his “Ride” skill was less than stellar. At least he was well provisioned.

35. Relo says:

great one as usual…

WooT 100 i want some xp for that :P

36. Psychochild says:

Love the comic. :) Too bad I got work to do tonight.

Oh, well, too bad for the work! :)

37. EezaK says:

oh, dang. i always thought the pack was kinda realistic.
    all rpg games have em.

38. mocking bird says:

A friend of mine was doing character portraits at GenCon many years ago. The kid dropped off his character sheet and left for a while. My friend looked at the sheet and for the sketc just put a big pile of weapons with the top of a helf sticking out. While the kid didn’t pay for the sketch, his look was apparently well worth the effort.

39. Syreene says:

Lol…it could always be Heward’s Handy Haversack!

The punchline with the TARDIS is just priceless…I was laughing out loud in my cubicle and found myself having to explain Doctor Who to my co-workers.

40. geo says:

Many years ago I took a barbarian. I decided that packs didn’t really fit how he looked in my mind so I gave him 2 bandoleers with small pouches spread about and a large pouch hanging off the bottom of one. The DM demanded that every time he hit the barbarian, he got to break the contents of one pouch – he chose which one. I told him to get stuffed and took a pack. Net gain or loss for either party (except for an enduring grudge I developed against this dm) through this micromanaging stupidity! ZERO!

41. Sewicked says:

I actually do pay at least some attention to the encumbrance. My puny little str 10 sorceress doesn’t carry much beyond her spell pouches (no armor, only a dagger, etc). OTOH, my bard has a mule. She carries lots of spare gear but can’t physically carry it all. BTW, how a load is distributed makes a huge difference in how encumbering it really is. Just compare a well-packed duffle vs one that’s just had stuff tossed into it willy-nilly.

42. Davros says:

just a point I’d like to make, only the doctor’s tardis is stuck in that form. Another one could just be regular.

43. TheDeepDark says:

Okay, with all this encumberance talk, I have to put in a comment.

I could not help but think of the “Armoire of Invincibility,” the encumberance of which nearly destroyed Fighter (8-bit theater #180-something). “My invincibility is killing me.” Heh heh.

44. Toil3T says:

I hike.

We ignore encumberance because of our (multiple) Bags of Holding (and similar) and our large strength scores. And we don’t get many polearms. On the other hand, we try to keep track of our rations.

45. Toil3T says:

And by hike, I mean take everything for several days with you. Except water, which you can normally get at camping sites. A full pack generally weighs 10-25 kilos, and you should be able to carry a third of your bodyweight, regardless of how strong you are.
    Mind you, this is minus weapons etc.
    Daypacking? That’s for Cub Scouts. I should know, I get my leader’s comission at the beginning of next year.

You people are all very helpful…

1. “TARDIS: Time And Relative Dimension (or Dimensions) In Space”

When I saw the word ‘tardis’, I immeadiately picked up my MASSIVE Maquarie Dictionary and searched the word (it wasn’t there). Then, giving up, I scrolled through the posts and, whadoya know! TARDIS! Thankee very muchly.

2. “Is that Dr. Who’s police box time machine?”

I was wondering what the hell that phone box thing was…what the hell is it doing there? (Well, quite frankly, I was expecting somehow that something random like that was gunna pop up sooner or later. And I thought the Monty Python quotes were random…)

3. “I love Aragorn’s face in the fourth frame. It’s the first time we’ve seen him smile since I don’t remember when.”

Am I the only one here who cherishes the accasional smile of Aragorn? I mean, come on, how often does he? That is one hot pic! Besides the one with the pipe when Boromir’s being tackled by Merry and Pippin (in the movie)…

BTW, loving the change of exxpressions between Aragorn and Gimli…priceless. It’s almost like that’s EXACTLY what he’s saying.
    Oh, and the “lawn ornament” joke was a fabulous line for Aragorn. Was also wondering if anyone was gunna refer to him as a garden gnome or insult him in a similar way sometime through this comic.

47. xKiv says:

Wasn’t the “lawn ornament” joke a reference to Terry Pratchett (namely, the Wyrd Systers book (the one that references The Scottish Play (do all of you like parenthesis as much as I do?)))?

48. Doug says:

D&D packs are relatively blameless compared to the ones they have in, say, Might & Magic VI. One of those suckers can hold…
    Four or five suits of plate armour, or
    A dozen spears, or six halberds or poleaxes or longbows, or
    About six dozen potions, or
    About twenty big spellbooks (tho’ each contains only one spell).
    And as for food, ammunition and money, you don’t even bother to keep track of where that is.
    They’re sturdy things too, and very portable, ‘cos you can still tramp around with your possessions intact even if three out of four characters are unconscious, petrified, dead or disintegrated. :D

49. SandallE says:

Ahh, that T.A.R.D.I.S. is perfect! I was not expecting that and I am still laughing halfway down the comments. :)

@Elucid8:
    Too true. :( D&D: The Movie was horrible and only surpassed in unfulfillment by D&D 2: The Dragon God.

50. humanist says:

Oh my god that was hysterical. That joke just about blows away all your previous successes, and I say that with the qualification that many of the previous comics were downright hilarious.

I don’t often literally laugh out loud, but the gratuitous insertion of the TARDIS into DM of the Rings completely cracked me up. I want to thank you for combining Doctor Who (which I love), Lord of the Rings (ditto), Roleplaying (which I don’t love as such, but can be incredibly funny), humor (which I love) and even slipping in a Terry Pratchett reference (which is just awesome).

In the fantasy parody I’m writing, all the buildings are manufactured by Tardis co. inc. (I got the idea from the Grand List of Video Game cliches, which practically spelled it out as such. That’s why I made the joke about buildings rather than travel bags.)

Having not read all 114 previous comments, I don’t know if anybody’s done this before (and it’s extremely geeky of me to do it now) but …

Invisible Leather Tardis:
    Never worn: Check (I suppose)
    Never mentioned: Could be
    Not depicted in a character portrait: Guess the chameleon circuit can do that, too
    Always with the character: Again, could be
    Holds spears and swords: Easily
    Fits through doorways: This I’m less sure about, but maybe the outside can be manipulated as well as the inside?
    Never throws the character off-balance or prevents them from jumping: Well apparently they can hover, so … yes?
    Doesn’t knock people over when the character turns around: *shifty look* Hey, it could happen.
    The desired item is always available right on top, without needing to dig around inside for it: Now that I don’t remember being a qualifier for a TARDIS, even an invisible leather one.
    Food never seems to age or spoil inside: Don’t remember that feature either.
    The items inside never clank together or make any kind of noise: Well, though do, but not so that you could hear them from the outside.

The above is an example of what terrible results can come from letting nitpickers loose on a perfectly good joke.

… On the other hand, since a TARDIS can also travel in time, maybe the bag just jumps ahead from whenever you last put something in until the next time you want to put something in/take something out. This explains everything apart from the point about the item you need always being right at the top.

It’s too bad our heroes don’t think of stuffing themselves inside the bag, and then having it take them into Mount Dum. They open the door, throw out the ring, problem solved.

Of course, they would have to find Frodo to get the ring first, and if the bag is anything like the Doctor’s TARDIS it would probably strand them on the Paths of the Dead or some such godawful place …

• WJS says:

Of course what you want isn’t really always on the top; what you do is enter the TARDIS and kick it into reverse x1, so it’s traveling backwards just enough to match the normal flow of time forwards. Then you spend however long it takes digging through all the crap you’ve got stored in it (some of the Doctor’s incarnations went through their old stuff, showing just how much cargo capacity the thing has) and when you step out again, you’ve got what you wanted with no time elapsed for observers!

51. Child of Gallifrey says:

Hey. I’ve been lurking for a while, but I just HAD to comment on this. I laughed so hard I cried when I saw that good old TARDIS, I really did.
    Anyone interested in Doctor Who should really check out Rich’s Comixblog, “The Ten Doctors”.

~CoG

52. Trae says:

The only time I actually pay attention to encumbrance is when I’m using an online character sheet because the good ones auto-fill in the right places, and all weight is kept tallied and will turn red when you’re encumbered.

I have a kobold sorcerer with a strength of 8. Can only lift 19.5 lbs. My BoH and spell component pouch alone put me at 17 lbs…

53. dadman says:

@ comment 88 (Sarah—March 3rd, 2007, Two-and-a-half years ago!)

::raises hand::

That was the Last Updated Whole Earth Catalog; I even named my Corvair Van “Urge” in honor of that story. ::blushes::

Let me say that blushes don’t look healthy on white-bearded geezers like me, but thanks for reminding me of my high school days. Now, if I can just work in some “Trout Fishing in America” references…

54. Michael says:

Where do we keep our ten foot poles, anyways?

XCOM actually had a decent backpack system. Each object has a shape, and your pack has a shape. You can re-arrange stuff, but you have to make it all fit.

Predates tetris, and the shapes are simple (1×1, 1×2, 2×2, 2×3) blocks.

55. Kourtney says:

hahaha the tardis bit had me laughing. i just stumbled across this thing and its had me rolling on the floor. this is exactly what my friends and i say when we commentary movies lol

56. Veklim says:

I had a fighter/war smith once by the name of Lokos, he was ludicrously strong (about 24 I think) and had decided it was only fair to go get himself a belt of giant’s strength to ‘even out the modifier’. At one particularly drawn out and boring part of the campaign, we came across an enchated grotto with several large mithral statues around the perimeter. Upon asking the reason for their continued stay in this place, being made of exceptionally rare and expensive metal, the DM replied ‘Because they are far too heavy to move for almost all creatures and adventurers who have stumbled into the area.’
    I couldn’t help but grin when I asked how much, precisely, did they weigh.
    My DM never left ANYTHING like that lying around without gaurdians after that session, and the group never wanted for mithral equipment either!

57. Rose says:

I have never ever laughed harder than I did about that final panel! Excellent Excellent work. {I was laughing for an inordinate amount of time about it and now I’m coughing terribly.}

58. Old Woman #35 says:

LotR, Monty Python references, and now the TARDIS?
    This comic has it all!

59. joesolo says:

same thing about packs goes for literally every rpg iv ever seen. one perfect example, in runescape you can cary about a half dozen massive dwarven cannons wihch are all many times larger than you, as well as infinate ammunition. whats it do to you? you cant run as long…

60. Lord_Guan says:

I’ve got to say, I’ve been following these comics off and on for a while now, and the Dr. Who reference just made my night. …which I don’t know what that says about my night, but nonetheless, well done.

61. The Heart Surgeon says:

Doctor Who!
    I love Doctor Who!

62. K says:

YES YES YES A DOCTOR WHO JOKE!!!!! This just became my favourite episode purely for the TARDIS. =D

63. Mackenzie says:

OH MY GOD!!! The TARDIS!!! That is genius man!! Pure genius!

2 Trackbacks

1. By Have Backpack, Will Travel « High Adventure Games on Tue Mar 20, 2007 at 10:18 pm

2. By The Witching Well » Archives » Geekly Giggles on Sat Apr 7, 2007 at 6:39 am

[…] And now I can’t stop laughing. […]