DM of the Rings LXIII:
Overly Requited Love

on Feb 13, 2007

Aragorn hits on Eowyn in Rohan. Saving throw vs. disease.

Aragorn hits on Eowyn in Rohan. Saving throw vs. disease.

Aragorn hits on Eowyn in Rohan. Saving throw vs. disease.

Sometimes the most sadistic thing the DM can do to is to let the players have their own way.

A Hundred!2013There are 133 comments here. I really hope you like reading.

1. Darkenna says:

Steve: not a module. Homegrown campaign. And the character originated entirely in the player’s mind.

He loves Grade-Z (or worse) films. Figures, huh?

Moon Maidens are all female. If a male child is born, it’s the same race as the father. The racial traits only travel down the female line. Hence, no worries about genetic stability, as they can’t breed with themselves.

2. Andre says:

Darkenna: How is it possible that a race that stays fertilized forever AND always pops out twins can become nearly extinct? Don’t you know what the trouble with tribbles is?

3. Darkenna says:

Ok, first off… the difference here is they aren’t born pregnant. : D

In a medieval-fantasy world populated with all sorts of nightmares? Easily!

Violence.

Sweet, tasty violence. With a magic sauce. Probably +3, maybe +4. : D

The rest of that particular mission was to hunt down the demon that had been waging war on the Moon Maidens withthe intent on genocide. We won; he died; Blake became a father. Repeatedly. It was most enjoyable.

4. Fickle says:

*laughing SO HARD* Just wait until Legolas hears about this.

5. Kelson says:

LOL! Which is unfortunate, as it’s twenty minutes to midnight. With any luck, I didn’t wake up my next-door neighbor.

6. Anistalker says:

LMAO…I just read all these trough and yes LMAO!
    Keep up the good work. This is farmost the funniest making of LOTR I’ve ever seen

7. dpmcalister says:

Darkenna: He loves Grade-Z (or worse) films. Figures, huh?

Nah, just cheesy British sci-fi programmes:

Blake “owns” the spaceship Liberator :D

8. Darkenna says:

Wouldn’t surprise me if that was the source name. But I think the character is actually older than that. Called the Liberator because he was a mage/thief who liberated items from their evil-minded possessors. Or something like that.

9. Steve says:

[Darkenna] Sorry, geezer misappropriation of jargon. To this long-time DM, any properly scripted adventure is a module, whether it was bought for hard cashmoney or ran like wine from the fingers of your poor scribe.

Wait. Wine from fingers? That doesn’t work. Hang on.

Got it!

Blah blah dribble drool or ran like engine oil from the fingers of your poor scribe who just finished changing the oil in his car and didn’t pause to wash up before getting back to module authoring.

Much better.

Speed standard by four, Zen.

Steve.

10. Darkenna says:

Ah, that’s actually one jargonic adaptation I’ve actually made successfully. : ) Along with Feats, and Skills (mad, mad skillz, yo), and “Attacks of Opportunity” (whatever they are)… oh, and “Keen Ranger Senses”. Can’t forget that specializing in ranger-ing thing.

Aaaaaaah, Geekdom. : )

11. Jason The Saj says:

Yup….I’ve seen this particular encounter.

*LOL*

So I guess I now have to join the weekly reader group. Catch the next published episode.

12. […] the comments of the previous strip, I said, “In hindsight, the ideal thing would have been to cast Aragorn as a dumb, distracted stoner. […]

13. Ishmael says:

“P.S. What do you do when your players are an evil party and decide rape is the best course of action? besides various grapple rolls that is?”

DM lightning. 20d10 damage, no save.

14. […] my Gods, yes! I’ve known gamers who were exactly like this. And DMs who were just as righteously cruel to […]

15. Ruth says:

You’re about to get a much larger readership. I just came here from StumbleUpon and I love the comic. Just finished reading all the comics and I have come to the conclusion that you are a genius.

16. crystal says:

Now I’m wodering what it would have been like if there was a brothel in any of the towns.
    Grungy place, ok babe, you have a good time, lose 5 Gp’s and need to vist the cleric.;)

17. Stella says:

In the D&D games I play, my boyfriend is the DM. I love to tease him by flirting with one of his NPC’s infront of the group ’cause he blushes like MAD and tries to change the subject. But, in another game with the same group, my character likes the character of another woman’s husband. I don’t roleplay her crush that much ’cause I don’t want to annoy the guy’s wife OR my bf. It’s soooo fun though.

Another time, another wife in the group I mensioned played a guy who was….well…like Aragorn and tried to flirt with my character almost everyday! It made for some absolute fun, but boy was it weird!

You did well S. I look forward to more! X)

18. Jak says:

One of my favorite characters was a Dwarven Champion (half fighter, half cleric). In town I would visit the brothel, choose three or four of the most charismatic girls my money could buy (cause my looks sure couldn’t do it), gather them all together, pray for strength and fertility, cast multiple cure disease, neutralize poison and heal spells (specially memorized for my brothel encounter) on my willing wenches then go until my constitution couldn’t go anymore. The sad thing was, this character ended up being killed by an ambush in a brothel when he was so fatigued he wasn’t fighting effectively and he had used up most of his spells… but at least he was happy X )

19. only_playing says:

I just got introduced to this series, and had to go back and read all of them.

And because I am a geek, my female ranger once slept with an NPC to… well for various reasons actually. The DM asked me to make a role against pregnancy. My response: she’s a ranger. If she doesn’t know some herb around to prevent that, then I have wasted giving her 14 ranks in Knowl(nature). He allowed it. ^_^

20. Mysti says:

Okay okay okay….I never thought this story would ever be brought up…and I’m rather ashamed of it. When me and my then boyfriend were playing with this gay couple, and the DM was a drag queen, she was fabulous on stage by the way, and did my makeup for LARP several times, but I digress…Well one time we were playing, and for some twisted reason my boyfriend’s character had to hook up with this NPC, it was actually part of the plot. Well the DM did not gloss over…not one bit…he went into lots and lots of detail. And my boyfriend gladly went along with it. Of course it was well known that the DM wanted to get my boyfriend in bed, and my boyfriend considered it on more than one occasion. Siiiiiigh….Never again am I going to get with a closet-poly person.

Just for clarification I was the only girl there, with a bisexual boyfriend and two gay guys…out of place much?

21. Maxtac says:

Really enjoying this webcomic, Shamus. Though if I read all the comments afterwards I’d be here for weeks!

Just loved this strip, it’s so… right on; especially for teens.

When I was in high school (back in the 80’s… don’t remind me), I played in a dnd game with the schools rpg club. Bunch of guys I didn’t know, we were all over-sexed under-satisfied gamers (read dateless geeks). So we start this game, I have a half elf fighter magic user (ok ok, I know, give me a break, my first dnd char at age 15) and another guy in the party had a female human rogue-assassan. So he gets board when we are on the way to the dungeon, decided his char will seduce mine, with the desired end of killing him, by putting poison up her privates. So I fail resist seduction and we go for it, and the poisioning attempt fails. So he has his char do it again, with another failure. So on the third failed attempt, GM says “well you have to roll vs poison now cos all that poison up there can’t be good for your female char” and he rolled a 1. My poor char woke up next to a corpse and was ever more convinced he “loved” her to death. The remaining party members thought so too. The word apparently spread, and you can imagine the rest…

Not surpisingly that game didn’t go much longer. Not sure we even made it to the dungeon… oh well.

22. Dune says:

Perfect, we are always making jokes about just this instance, make the pc’s pay for what the do with removing diseases.

23. SongCoyote says:

Heh… I find that when I’m in that sort of situation the DM’s collar tends to heat up a bit. I’ve been known to make ’em sweat.

But then, I’m definitely the hardcore roleplayer in the group ;)

Light and laughter,
    SongCoyote

24. Ankounite says:

….This happened to me on Sunday. I was flipping through the patheon book for Faerun, and came across the love goddess Sune again during the game. We were at a town (a port town, unfortunately), but I still said “I visit the local Priestess of Sune.” I failed my Fort Save and was given Lycanthropic Crotch Crickets (Since in this hodge-podge mix of a world he mixed, we were in the lycanthrope country). She removed disease on me, sure, but I’m now known as Crotch Cricket boy.

25. Daemian Lucifer says:

Thanks to the guys at IWC for linking this,I love it!This is my favourite so far,especially because I simply adore putting GM’s in situations like this(I play women on purpose).But there is a weirder thing that can happen:A player trying to score with another player.Or,when you have a girl in your group playing a lesbian,and then you(as a GM)need to play her loved one.

26. Peterus says:

Well… u’ve beaten Order of the Stick by now.
    Movie screenshots own + u got great ideas for script.
    Breaking the fellowship was brilliant too!

27. Black Hand says:

I’m glad I wasn’t drinking milk whilest reading this one. That is EXACTLY how my first DM dealt with those PC’s that were persistant with such endoviors…And I believe I’ve picked up the trait too, it works very well. Usually after contracting some unknown genital fungus a couple times they tend to stop.

28. Baktru says:

Rofl…

I used to have a player… Hmm scratch that I used to have three out of fout players in my campaign that literally hit on EVERY woman with a charisma over 13. Or whose description seemed to mean CHA 14+. Getting a quest from the almighty sorceress. Guess what… Twenty minutes spent on getting quest details and rewards settled, two hours on various plots by all three to seduce the good lady.

After they had stalked her (a level 15 sorcerss, they were level 6… ) for a while, she figured it out and cursed one of them with an unstoppable urge to visit the red light districts in any city he was in. Hah! Give them what they want :-)

29. beriadanwen says:

man,this is soo funny!but i wander..who did ewoyn get it from?eomer maybe?(wink!)

30. Ed the Higg says:

Oh, jeez…I suddenly just had a flashback to a campaign I was running with my Air Force buddies when we were stationed at Malmstrom 11 to 13 years ago.

Lenny was playing Logan the elf, who was a fairly horny type. The players had finally gotten back to civilization after travelling to what was basically my game world’s version of Antarctica to destroy a throne of ice, destroy a great obsidian golem (though one of the party’s magic-users ended up finishing the golem and hijacking it for his own use instead), kill a night hag who was buffing up the Shadow King’s undead army and foil the Shadow King’s latest plot.

So the party went to an inn for the night, and the first words out of Lenny’s mouth were “Are there any hookers or sexy women around?”. I obliged him. “There’s a lithe, fair-skinned harlot with long raven hair leaning against the far end of the bar, as if waiting for someone to happen by.” This was good enough for Lenny, so he made his move. After a brief negotiation on price, Logan took the harlot up to his room, where they proceeded to do the horizontal mambo. And she started this conversation while she was on top of Logan:

Harlot: “You look like a strong adventurer. Have you been to any exotic regions lately?”

Logan (thinking she’s just making small talk): “Yes. We just got back from the Land of Eternal Winter.”

Harlot: “Yes, I know of that place. Were you sent there to destroy the Throne of Ice?”

Logan (taken aback): “…Yeah.”

Harlot: “And when you entered the Palace of the Ice Tyrant, were you ambushed by a pack of vampires in the lobby?”

Logan (growing nervous): “…yeahhh…”

Harlot: “And did you notice one of the vampires fleeing the battle? A lithe, fair-skinned woman with long, raven hair?”

Logan (VERY nervous by now): “…yyyYEAHHHHhhh…!”

Harlot (baring her vampire fangs and preparing to bite): “HHHSSSSSSSSSS!!!”

Logan: “AAAHHHHHHHH!!!”

Logan just happened to bed the vampire who had come back to kill him and the rest of the party. >:-)

That had to be the most awkward battle of the entire campaign: An inn room in the middle of the night, with a stark naked and incredibly strong vampiress mounting a stark naked and not-nearly-as-strong elf who was trying to keep her from biting him and energy-draining him to death when he didn’t even get to use his Dexterity bonus for his AC because she had him pinned, and the cleric and the thief hearing the elf’s screams, jumping out of bed and grabbing their weapons to save the elf from his latest “conquest”. Fortunately, the cleric and the thief were able to kill the vampire before she did any significant harm to the elf, and the cleric felt it was his duty to hear the relieved elf’s confession and impose a suitable penance for his sinful, undead-seducing carnality afterwards. :-D

Logan didn’t do much whoremongering after that night. >:-)

31. splorp! says:

My favorite character, a Chaotic Neutral thief named Mott the Hoople (my chaotic neutral characters use two sided die, ie a coin), had a charisma of 8. In a party with a Paladin (charisma of 17), my character somehow managed to always get the tavern wench. Every time I did, the DM would make a roll, but never tell me what it was for. One day, I finally got it out of him. Apparently, my thief has more than 20 children.

32. Arrk says:

A local library hosted D&D nights once per week, for reasons I never understood, nor questioned much. One day, a girl stopped by to play. Another player showed up, saw the girl, and said, “A female D&D player? That’s about as rare as a Tarrasque!”

33. Shatondra says:

My professor just sent me this link…I love him and this has become my new favorite web comic. XD

34. Moy says:

A cowardly chicken is the DM who doesn’t dare to play love scenes! :-)
    (I used to play in a mixed round BTW; there are some very funny quotes in my book, but I guess they don’t work in English)

35. geo says:

had a masked and disguised babe of a thief come onto a pc thief when they encountered each other while both were independantly robbing the same second story crib. the pc thief ran away because he thought I was going to sic a gay npc thief on him. Where my players got these ideas I’m such a sadist I have NO idea! ;o)

36. Mosquito says:

Yeah! Post-event, that’s exactly the attitude a current-day Eowyn would have.

37. Sewicked says:

*gasp* Give *wheeze* me *gasp* a minute *wheeze* I’m still trying to catch my breath after laughing so hard.

As a woman roleplayer (who almost never plays male PCs), I don’t really get hit on that much. At least, not that I’ve noticed.

I’ve had chaste PCs, the extremely active bi-sexual leaning towards women PC (who later got married to 2 men, one of whom was a minor god), and the not-too-discriminating PCs but mostly in-between the two extremes.

I did manage to shock my Mage gm when the teacher my PC found wanted a ‘close albeit temporary relationship’ in exchange for his knowledge & my character eyed him, shrugged & agreed. Yeah, GM never tried that again.

I have had a couple GMs who handled the romance thing well. Not many, but a couple. I’ve only had two PCs get pregnant though. And none have caught diseases.

Weirdest romance thing that happened in a game: male NPC and female PC fall in love. Yeah okay, GM & player both female. GM & player ended up dating for awhile. The in-game relationship turned out to be an offshoot of their genuine feelings.

38. dreamcass says:

Earlier in our current campaign, a female PC in our party went out for a night on the town, for “a little of A, a little of B, …a little of C” in the DM’s words. Afterward the DM made her roll a saving throw against STD’s. She rolled a 20. Immune for life!

39. Sylana says:

I’ve been in that situation a couple of times- being the only female player in group of guys more often than not (and often the only female PC), I’m the one that always gets hit on. Of course, I tend to play elves or half-elves, and I’ve rarely had a charisma below 15, but still…. the really funny thing is that my husband was usually the DM. He not only put up with various encounters, seductions, and what have you, he wrote them into the storyline- even marrying my char to another PC in one game. Our characters fell in love not long after we met, and the courtship became part of the plot.
    Of course, I got the players back on occasion. I had one of the boys get seduced by a red widow in a Ravenloft campaign I was running, and the rest of the party had to rescue him from being eaten.

40. TheDeepDark says:

This is not a good choice to read while in class, either. I have to say, thyese have been making me chuckle all along, but it figures the one time I check while not alone in my house, it’s this one. I fell out of my chair – It still hurts trying to hold it in…

41. Toil3T says:

“What skill do I use for this?”
    *Expletive* I know we’ll be “roleplaying” ;) next session. Love potions, etc. I can cure disease, so, I guess that helps. I wonder who, if anyone, won’t- This isn’t appropriate conversation, so I’ll leave it there.
    “Like I said, HOT!”- I’ve learnt not to eat cereal or drink anything while reading great webcomics. This is right up there with “I rolled a four!”

42. Raeder says:

Thanks so much for this strip.
    Because of this I had this great idea.

I managed to convince my DM to let me roll for seduction on a train ride in a CoC game. I think we used fast talk, it was priceless.

Oh, man, how I wish I was nerdy enough to play D&D…it sounds so much fun! The closest I’ve gotten to it is playing AQ and DF online…oh yeah, and that Harry Potter one years ago…bah, I prolly shouldn’t be here, surrounded by nerds – my friends would torch me at the stake (lol)

1. “I find it really amusing that there never seems to be any shortage of good frames for Aragorn. The stringy hair, scruffy beard, the smirking and half-interested looks make it seem that you can really see the player’s personality coming through in the character.”

Oh, come on – all that stuff is what makes Aragorn such a delectable character!! His eyes, oh my gosh…the amount of times they zoom in on those gorgeous eyes, I’m all like, *drool* Mine!! Viggo Mortenson rocks my bed (I mean socks…lol) – they couldn’t have chosen a better actor (If only here were an Auzzie! OMG!)!

2. “In hindsight, the ideal thing would have been to cast Aragorn as a dumb, distracted stoner. He spends about half of the movie blinking very, very slowly. I can come up with a shot of him looking baked or mouth-open stoopid in just about any scene. I should make a “I am so high” montage out of all these shots.”

Bwahaha – I don’t really want to admit that Aragorn could pass off very well as a total stoner, but it’s true! I’ve seen the BTS interviews and whatnot on the bonus features discs, and he definately sounds like one…OMG, what the hell am I saying?? Aragorn’s a freaking hottie!! XD

44. JD says:

That. Is. The. BEST. Trap I’ve ever seen. XD

45. BF says:

Funny story (not for me):

OK, we’re playing W.F.R.P. (scary in itself- the worst rules set known to man but an AWSOMEly dark setting), and we had one player who EVRY TIME he saw a female NPC asked “How hot is she?”

The GM was got annoyed at this after a while, and began describeing more and more hideous disfigurements for the NPCs. Since they where mostly Brettonian (medeval) pesents, this was fully justified

I’m playing a Knight Errant (Paladin). We enter a castle. The player mentioned above is not at this session. The GM has planned a trap for him, involveing some Slaneshii cultists (the Dark God of… stuff. You know, that stuff with the whips. erm…). So another player (the Elf) gets put next to a female cultist at the table. But (s)he (female player, male charicter, dressed as woman- this happens alot in our games. Also Dark Elf pretending to be High Elf pretending to be Wood Elf. I think.) passes the Spot check to notice the cult pendant.

You know what she does then? She gets me to talk to that NPC. The NPC offers me a drink, and next thing I know, it’s twelve hours later, my armour is gone and I have a general disinclination to sit down. I have vaigue recolections of multiple NPCs being involved in the… procedings. Not all female.

The party left the castle immedeately. I led my horse rather than rideing it. Talk about the paladin with the stick-up-the-backside.

THEN the GM makes a d100 roll for STIs.

Sorry for such a long post. I wonder if anyone will ever scroll this far down?

Morals of this story:
    1- Never annoy the GM
    2- Never trust an Elf
    3- Don’t play a system based on the d100
    4- If in the Warhammer setting, don’t trust ANYONE.

46. Morambar says:

Deja freakin’ vu; I still remember the evil Ravenloft campaign that killed our group one session after it killed my beloved thief. First of all, when the THIEF is only 5th level you DON’T send the party to a 7th or 8th level Ravenloft module (first clue we weren’t ready: The Deus ex Machina of a meteor swarming NPC at the end of our first Ravenloft module…. ) The second highest level character was the 3rd level samurai, but he bought it on the trip INTO Ravenloft (since everyone but me and the DM hated Elves, no one believed the guy with 90% Enchantment/Charm resistance when I told them about my dream where Little Girl Lost wasn’t what she seemed to be; all THEIR dreams said she was just an innocent waif…. ) But what really sucked is we’re in a world full of powerful evil aligned undead, demons and lycanthropes and our only decent magic weapon (heck, only magic weapon at all beside the dagger 1) was the longsword 2 the samurai was using; I easily had the best THAC0 with it after he dropped, even with non-proficiency penalties, but it wasn’t a class appropriate weapon. Wielding it was, in a word (or two) “bad roleplaying. ” Got that one a lot, for all kinds of infractions, real and imagined, and by the end I was being threatened with XP penalties.

SO, welcome to Harmonia, the town of Wolf-Weres, where the Shashbuckler Thief (known to the group as “the fop” ) gets picked up by the local barmaid. Now, I’m not stupid; I know where we are–but my CHARACTER doesn’t, and I just got docked a few hundred XP for ignoring the difference. So, me and Mr. DM leave the room to role play an encounter where my thief is eagerly blindfolded and stripped while his player dreads the inevitable. She turns into a Wolf Were and my naked character, despite making his flight checks by double digits (I had a 19 DX after all… ) merely prolongs the inevitable; after all, she’s a Wolf Were and I’m a lowly 5th level thief, but at least “You died in the best possible way: Good roleplaying. ”

Why were we in Ravenloft again…?

Which, after still more PCs dropped the following week, we shortly thereafter were no longer in Ravenloft….

47. Johnathan says:

I used to play Vampire: the Dark Ages with a good group of friends (circa 7 or 8 years ago), all dudes, one of whom was playing as a lady. Inevitably, he/she started boinking another PC.

It actually kind of creepy – not, though, in a homophobic way. Evan did a really terrible woman’s voice that sounded creepy all the time, and the combination of that with the fact that in the context of the system vampires are absolutely incapable of deriving pleasure from sex was just plain eerie.

48. Ben says:

No one will ever get here, but we rescued a beautiful woman from a dungeon. Turns out the wizard should use better seals when trapping succubi, they’re awfully easy to get around. Luckily the cleric rolled high to cast restoration from a scroll. *whew*

49. E says:

Alright the comic itself is absolutely brilliant. Reading through it AGAIN for the 4th time and still laughing. Also, props to everyone who comments and shares stories about there groups.

Relating to you is almost as fun as relating to the strip itself

50. Kern says:

“Versus Disease”. You’re killing me man, killing me.

Here’s a good question: Which requires a higher saving throw, gonorrhea, or syphilis?

51. Crowbar says:

The first session of my new campaign, and the first thing one of my players did once I’d finished describing the locale was ask if there were any hot women who would be interested in sleeping with the swinging bachelor Sorcerer.

I eventually had to explain to him that as this was a medieval farming community, any women there would be one step above a pack mule in terms of hideousness.

This didn’t stop him from asking the same thing in every. Fucking. Town.

52. Trick says:

I never thought I’d succumb to chatspeak, but…

ROTFLMAO!

53. BattlingDragon says:

“versus disease”

The cleric in one of my early partys eventually made an amulet of “Remove Disease” for this reason. He got tired of burning so many spells every time we entered a town.

54. I think you missed a bet.

I suppose that, just as the horizontal bop was about to commence, you could have had Mister Fancypants (you know, the wizard guy) and the other two (what were their names again?) come in and “rescue” him. “No, no, it’s just too perilous!”

I shall proceed to eat my character sheet now.

55. EVILDM says:

I tried to use the STD playercatch in my campain, next thing i know my whole town suddenly had that STD. Never try to outsmart that kind of players

56. Michael says:

ROFL.
    Yes, I scrolled this far. No, I think Tarrasques are rarer than females. (And the T isn’t that hard to kill, you can do it at level 13 if you have the time to prepare.)

Oh: “One more die”

57. Tachi says:

WTF?OMG!ROFLAMO!!!!

Eloquent today aren’t I?

58. Fhyl says:

Haha, this happened in one of my gaming groups once. We then discovered the true advantages of having a monk’s disease immunity.

59. The Duke of Waltham says:

It may be a little late to note this, but weird is misspelled in panel 5.

Brilliant comic, by the way (and I’m not even into these games; I am only now learning about them through the descriptions). I’ve discovered it through TV Tropes and I started reading from the beginning last night. I’ve been laughing ever since.

60. zay says:

Heh. I DMed a campaign in which one of the PCs seduced another PC, and then rolled a “Perform” check.

He rolled a 1. XD

61. ellgieff says:

*sniggers* I once had a player who insisted on playing a female paladin. Not really getting the whole “holy warrior” bit, he ended up failing a saving throw vs pregnancy.

That campaign ended not long after that. It’s always important to go out on a high note.

62. joesolo says:

give them what they want, but make it suck. deffinatlly gonnatry that if i get to dm

63. Matt says:

Just reading these now. These are great!

3 Trackbacks

1. […] the comments of the previous strip, I said, “In hindsight, the ideal thing would have been to cast Aragorn as a dumb, distracted stoner. […]

2. By Fun Bilder - Seite 14 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 at 5:04 am

[…] AW: Fun Bilder src […]

3. […] my Gods, yes! I’ve known gamers who were exactly like this. And DMs who were just as righteously cruel to […]