DM of the Rings LVIII:
It is a Silly Place

on Jan 31, 2007

Monty Python quotes in Edoras..

Jaquandor once said this about quoting Monty Python at a Renaissance Festival, although this applies just as well to playing D&D:

[…] So it’s with nothing but love and heartfelt concern that I inform you that walking around shouting quotes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail like “I’m bein’ repressed!” and “Ni!” is the Renaissance Festival equivalent of shouting “Freebird!” at a rock concert. Don’t do this, folks. Wandering through a Renaissance Festival with your friends, pretending to debate the airspeed of an unladen swallow, is just shooting fish in a barrel. Don’t do it.

Having said that, just try to get through this part of the movie without thinking about it. I swear the old woman in panel six is just about to say, “There’s some lovely filth over here.”

Right.  I can’t let you in while we, or anyone else, is armed.

This really is like shooting fish in a barrel.

is a programmer, an author, and nearly a composer. He works on this site full time. If you’d like to support him, you can do so via Patreon or PayPal.

A Hundred!6106 comments. Quick! Add another to see if this message changes!

1. Deoxy says:

That reminds me of watching Back to the Future in German class in high school. “McFly” in the middl of a line of German (with the COMPLETELY wrong voice for the characers) was quite funny.

Oh, and, just to be a valid comment on this thread: “Ni!”

2. Namfoodle says:

Of course there’s no water in the barrel! The fish are dead and packed for shipping. They are probably preserved in salt. They are *not* happily swimming about in 50 gallons of rain water. So a shot from any angle is likely to pass through several fish. If the lid of the barrel is off, you could hit at least one fish with a gob of spit.

Otherwise, the saying wouldn’t mean “easy”. It would mean “good way to for Steve to hurt himself before giving up and heading to the fish monger’s”

3. Jackie says:

I, for one, am dissapointed that nobody ever makes Discworld jokes when they play D&D. Monty Python jokes may be like launching an all out air strike on an army of ants, but Discworld jokes are an art form, dammit!

4. SecretFire says:

That was some good cookie!!!

5. nigel says:

“i am no man”
    “A WITCH,A WITCH, SHE’S A WITCH!”

why isn’t gandolf named TIM? foom!

when gandolf comes back to life-“ALLWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE”

lambas bread-but they’re waffer thin!

one ring to rule them all- get yours now!

“INCONSEVABLE! YOU KEEP USING THAT WORD, I DO NOT THINK IT MEANS WHAT U THINK IT MEANS.”

6. Andi says:

To Browncoat:

I’ve read TPB. Many times, in addition to watching the movie many, many, many times. Every time I watch the movie, I think of the very long descriptions of packing and clothes that were so thankfully edited out in “the good parts version”.

7. […] there was The Gamers, before there was Fensler Films, the most quoted movie during D&D sessions was Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Years and years later, Eric Idle decided to redo the classic […]

8. SongCoyote says:

Actually, I do make Discworld jokes when I play D&D, especially because one of the players in my monthly game is even more fanatical about Pratchett than I.

“OH DO GO ON – THE STORY’S JUST GETTING GOOD.”

Light and laughter,
    SongCoyote

9. Feyd says:

About the Bandit King…

Wasn’t he a character in Steven King’s “Dark Tower” series???

10. Turgid Bolk says:

Glad I’m not the only one posting this late…

Re: shooting fish. I never concieved of shooting them with a gun, I always assumed a bow. Fish in a barrel are easy to shoot with an arrow, even if the barrel is filled with water. ‘Course you still need to stand on something, or get a shorter barrel.

Incredible comic, I’m slowly making my way through the archives now. How did I not hear about this earlier?

“What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?”
    “What do you mean, AD&D or 3rd edition rules?”
    “Wha..I don’t know that! AHHHhhh…”

11. boromeer3 says:

Does it have a brothel?

12. splorp! says:

Darkenna Says:

And now it’s time for the penguin on top of your telly to explode.

Fornicate the penguin!

Too obscure?

13. Wulfric says:

On the other hand, if the guys behind Monty Python knew back then that they’d be ruining comedy for future generations would they still have done it? Back when Flyng Cirus was being created for dollars and cents in their basements, was there any comedy refrences the Python boys would quote while they worked as inside jokes? And their friends would get fed up and say “Come on guys! Write your own material for a change!”

I’m thinking after this, you need to do a Princess Bride campaign. Plenty of one liners in there too.

14. dmw144 says:

2 points to make:

1) you guys are sooooo limiting yourselves…try a barrel full of happilly swimming fish and a bazooka – no one said what they were shot with….

2) i’d like to also point out that this thread isnt dead yet….’bop’

15. DiscountNinja says:

“Right, no one is to enter while we, or anyone else, is armed”

… Shamus, you win the internet =D

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Nazgul flight?

In fact, I can almost see the faces of the LotR characters instead of Sir Lancerlot,Sir Robin, Sir Galahad and the aptly named Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Movie

16. Mo Squito says:

Shamus? I know you expected to get comments like these after you put this installment up, but did you *plan* for us to do it when you started writing it?

17. JJR says:

A little OT, but did anyone catch the Daily Show episode where a bunch of Trekkies went in costume, staying in character, to a Renaissance Festival, playing it out like a visit to an alien planet? That was a hoot, if only for how clearly annoyed the “Rennies” got with them.

18. Oboe Cop says:

I couldn’t disagree more with the statement you quoted. Quoting Monty Python is par for the ocurse in RPGs. Those who don’t like it, are the ones who truly have the problem.

19. Brent says:

My group is also quite fond of discworld. we even made a spell for it: rincewind’s expidous retreat. wait, no, it wasn’t a spell, Rincewind can use it! must have been a supernatural ability that went with a compulsion to flee all interesting things.

20. Optimus_Prime says:

One more comment couldnt hurt….

Could it?

21. Morambar says:

Steve: Have you ever considered a double barreled 12 gauge, buckshot in one and a slug in the other? No one ever said you had to fire into the TOP of the barrel….

22. SlytherinSarah says:

(Extended scene where the Rohan villagers are singing while Legolas drinks Gimli ubder the table)
    “In war we’re tough and able, quite inde-fati-gable. Between our quests, we sequin vests, and impersonate Clarke Gable. Its a busy life in [Edoras], I Have To Push The Pram Alot.”

Discworld: any statement made with a straight face and with complete honesty despite the ironic/grave/perilous situation is automatically a direct Corporal (Captain, Lance-Constable, wherever in the timeline you are used to him being) Carrot quote. :D

Or, to combine DW and MP, use the same above scene, singing Knights of the Round Table in the background, and Aragorn quoting Fred Colon about Gimli/Vimes: “He was born two drinks under par…”

Oh, the endless possibilities…

23. d'Antarel says:

Before they’re allowed to ride a horse, do the children of Rohan use two empty halves of coconuts and bang them together?
    Sorry, had to do that.
    Would you rather some shitty Hallmark movie like “The 10th Kingdom” or “Merlin/Merlin’s Apprentice” be quoted at D&D campaigns? Ooh, how about “The Adventures of Robin Hood” starring Errol Flynn? Ooh, ooh, wait, what about: “Disney’s The Sword in the Stone”? Oh, wait, there’s more. Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Eragon, Eldest, Disney’s Robin Hood, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves? Ooh, ooh, ooh, the immortal “Robin Hood: Men in Tights!” Oh, you can’t have a campaign without Rabbi Tuckman! He provides the sacramental wine for the clerics who feel it necessary to bless EVERYTHING!!
    Honestly, the whole quoting issue could be much worse than Holy Grail, Life of Brian, and Princess Bride.
    In a campaign I ran, we actually once had a quote from A Christmas Story. One of the players rolled a one on his attack roll. His arrow went in the wrong direction due to an unexpected crosswind, and in slow motion, the fighter who was hit by the arrow started to say “OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUDDGGGGGGGGGGE!!!!”
    He was criticaled.

24. darktalon says:

If you think D&D has it bad, imagine how Pendragon GMs must feel.

25. Sejemaset says:

you know I never knew the name of that communist peasant in Monty Python, odd seeing as hes my favorite character

26. Volt says:

I started reading your work today. While Legolas kiling Smeagol is definitely #1 on my funny-shit list, this one comes as a good second. Epic win :D

27. Aragorn says:

LOL the ppl were starting and going WTF
    :D

28. Trick says:

That… made my day.

“Right. I can’t let you in while we, or anyone else, is armed.”

I swear, I had that guard’s voice going through my head before I’d finished the first word!

29. Ciryandor says:

And nobody wants some Spam spam spam spam~ spam spam spam spam on the comments on this post? My goodness, people here aren’t going for the MP serials, then again, I’d like to hear a comment from the Ministry of Silly Walks on Frodo’s “stumble technique”. Then again, what Idiot Olympics have the hobbit PCs been up to while the 3 remaining players are stuck not saying anything about the Holy Grail?

30. Kauket says:

Happily, towards the end of 2007 Mythbusters tested shooting fish in a barrel.

-500 geek cred if you still haven’t seen the episode

31. Ann says:

Hi, I thought someone might like to see this take on Monty Python and LoTR: (courtesy of the Internet Oracle)

32. Galadriel1010 says:

I had to tell you that a) I am loving this and have been crying with laugther and b) I’ve been listening to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack whilst I read it, and Spotify is phsychic. This is the third time I’ve had the relevant track playing!

33. osh says:

The best part, Peter Jackson actually mentioned in the dvd commentaries that a big concern about these kinds of scenes was that people would be reminded of Python.

34. StarSword says:

I remember an incident in one campaign when we could hear zombies coming up the stairs. The wizard takes out a couple bottles of oil and pours them down the stairs, saying he’s going to light the zombies on fire. The DM goes, “Did I mention the stairs are made of wood?”

Cue me going, “We’ve got some stairs! Burn the stairs, burn them! Burn Them!”

It’s too easy.

35. Dark Waffle says:

“… It’s like those bloody Psalms…
    They’re so depressing…”

36. Jacob Hogue says:

Interestingly enough, the golden hall WASN’T a model. The built that entire town on location, and those helicopter shots in the film are of the actual buildings.

Just thought that was a fun fact.

37. Matt says: