Neverwinter Nights 2: Ending

on Jan 14, 2007
Game Reviews

Usually when I go through a videogame I have several posts. I’ll have a “First Impressions” post, then something about the characters, maybe a bit about the technology. Once I beat the game I’ll comment on the ending, which is where I decide if I liked the game or not.

I have a whole series of posts like that for Neverwinter Nights 2, and now I don’t feel like posting any of it. I have several posts of fawning praise and gushy cheerleading about how wonderful the characters are and how interesting the story is. I have comments on the generous length of the game, the fun character generation process, the great visuals, some nitpicks on the overly heavy system specs, and lots and lots of approval for the dialog.

I was going to wait until I was done posting the D&D campaign and then start posting the series on NWN2, just to keep the place from getting too cluttered. Now I have the urge to skip all of that and shake my fist at the designers for a few paragraphs.

This game is based on D&D 3.5 edition rules. So, when I say “combat”, keep in mind that this is characters fighting while the game rolls dice in the background. (There is a little window which actually shows the dice rolls if you like to watch that sort of thing.)

The first two-thirds of the game were some of the best gaming I’ve had in years. Then as the second act finished and I entered the third and final act, the plot got ugly. A whole bunch of those beloved characters bit the dust. Characters were getting killed off by the six-pack. This is a huge and epic game. It has dozens of vibrant characters, and as I entered the last hours of the game I wondered if there would be any left.

At first, this had the intended effect: I wanted to track down the bad guy and stop him once and for all. But after a while the game stopped being fun, because all the people who made it fun were dead.

Usually in a computer RPG, your final race towards the climax has you dispatching bad guys at a steady clip. You’ve fought hard. You’ve struggled through. You’ve earned your rewards, and now you have the powers to face the final Big Bad. Only in this game I wasn’t getting stronger fast enough to keep up with the bad guys. Was there some untapped pool of XP out there that I missed that would give me a couple more levels? I doubt it. Yet in every battle I was hopelessly outmatched.

The game has this little thing where you can examine an enemy, and judge his relative strength. So, you click on a kobold and it tells you “Challenge Rating: Effortless” Meaning I can kill this guy by coughing on him. Most enemies are “Moderate”. Some are “Challenging”. Once in a long while I’ll meet a boss that is “Very Challenging”. Then in Act III I started meeting foes which were rated “Impossible”.

The game was not kidding when it said impossible. I’d have to go through the fight many, many times. If I got a good critical, I’d save the game. If I missed two rounds in a row, I’d load the game. Note that the load times in this game were brutal, so it took a while to win a fight this way.

Still, I’d muddle through, spending twenty minutes on a two-minute fight. I’d run around and try to get the AI to get caught on some bit of scenery, or sometimes they would skip a few turns for no apparent reason, which would give me little edge.

Then the game started giving me two impossible foes back-to-back. These fights required numerous re-tries, as I seached for juuuust the right combination of spells and lucky hits that would get me through. Then the game started giving me two impossible foes at the same time.

How about a screenshot?

Neverwinter Nights 2 – DEAD

And who could forget this thrilling moment:

Neverwinter Nights 2 – DEAD

A little more eye candy for you:

Neverwinter Nights 2 – DEAD

The final dungeon was a joke, an insult, a slap in the face, and a stupid waste of time. All of the drama was sucked out of the story as I ran though every cutscene twice. Every battle was repeated a half dozen times. I did the same trash talking with the same bad guys, who would then put me and my party down with little fuss. Every time the game built up a little tension it would dispell it by killing me ten times in a row until I was angry and frustrated.

In a game this huge, there is no need in the world to pad the thing out by cranking the difficulty up to “extra impossible”. This was some of the worst DIAS gaming I’ve seen in a while. These battles weren’t just a little too hard. These battles required turn-by-turn micromanagement of all of the characters just to have a chance at making it through, even with the help of the save & restore screen.

Eventually I realized I was going to have to use some cheat codes if I didn’t want to smash my keyboard to pieces. I found “god mode” and turned it on, which made my main character invincible. I had a party of five people, and every single fight would end in a total party kill, except for my invulnerable little avatar, who would hack away at the bad guys while I made a sandwich or otherwise amused myself. (“Dead” characters get back up after a fight if at least one person survives. The game is only over if everyone dies. Which happes a lot.)

I was a monk, which is a fairly sturdy character class. I shudder to think what the ending would have been like using something challenging like a Rogue, Wizard, or (Bilbo help you) a Bard.

The final boss fight was appaling. I didn’t even think of turning off the cheats. Even when cheating my butt off it was at least a ten-minute fight. Without cheat codes… it might have taken hours. Now, I don’t mind a long finale, but it needs to be a long fight, not the same two minutes of fighting, followed by thirty seconds of loading screen, over and over for an hour an a half. I’m really glad I used cheat codes, or I’d still be there, staring at the loading screen as the King of Shadows stomped all over us for the 50th time.

An now the ending. Here be spoilers.

Okay, you play a D&D campaign with your buddies. You crawl the dungeons, roll the dice, amass the treasure, and save the lands. Then after you beat the Big Bad, the DM just pulls out a 3×5 index card and reads off of it:

The dungeon begins to collapse. Your party makes a run for it, but you cannot escape. The walls tumble down around you. Nobody knows what become of you. You and your friends are never heard from again.

This is a stupid, sloppy, and asinine ending. No DM in the world would do this unless he had a +2 ring of protection from face-punching, because his former friends are going to give him a royal beating for wasting their time.

What I have above isn’t the end of the game verbatim, but that’s the gist of it. And yes, this a static picture and text to go along with a monotone voiceover that read me this alleged ending. Animated cutscene? What would be the point? The only people who ever reach the end of the game are cheaters and lunatics.

Nothing like a game which demands 1GB of memory and a $300 graphics card so it can read you some text at the end of a 50+ hour game.

Dear NWN 2 Team,

I don’t know what I did that made you guys do this to me. Did I run over your dog? Say something about your mother? Is your teenage daughter pregnant and blaming me? Whatever it was, I’m sorry already.

Still dismayed,

Shamus Young

To be fair, I wasn’t kidding when I said the first two-thirds of the game are great. I’m still sort of tempted to start a different character, although the thought of trying to get through that last chapter again is pretty daunting.

A Hundred!14114 comments. Quick! Add another to see if this message changes!

1. Nick says:

I know it’s late to be replying to this..but what the hell. The ending of NWN2 wasn’t too dissapointing for me, because I already had Mask Of The Betrayer installed. And the ending to MOTB was awe inspiring, at least to me. It was at least equally as good as the ending to Throne Of Bhaal. I absolutey loved the whole of NWN 2, and rank it 2nd only to the Baldur’s Gate series. That’s my fave game ever.

2. Steven says:

I bought this because I just finished Mass Effect (which I thoroughly enjoyed and played multiple times) and I wanted something else to play. Like you, I really enjoyed the first two thirds of the game and I was immersed in the story. But by the end it was so tedious because you really had to micromanage your party in the fight, and I got tired of spending so much time on trial and error on which character to bring, etc., so I put the difficulty on EASY and finished it off. The ending has got to be one of the dumbest ending ever, and the end narration was so amateurish, I was shocked. Others on the Internet have mentioned it too, but man, it does really sound like they just pulled some guy in the office to read it.

3. Vadik says:

I finished this game on the lowest difficulty avaliable with a Warlock. The OC is horrible for a warlock, utterdark blast heals undead -.- other than that it can be the most powerful class in the other modules. The ending is the most piss poor ending I have ever seen. Knowing that Obsidian made this game helped me understand why the ending to Kotor2 sucked so badly.

4. Cybermancer says:

Okay, so I’m a couple years late for this discussion. But hey, that’s the great thing about the internet. :)

I loved many of the things about this game that others loved. The character creation made me feel like I was making a real D&D character. The game play really made me feel like I was playing D&D to a large extent. The story was decent and even gave you a choice between law and crime at one point.

There were a couple of minor problems even early on. Like the fact that you couldn’t avoid the companions. I didn’t want Qara in the party but no matter what route I took in the convo tree, I couldn’t get rid of her. I wish there had been an option to Pay Uncle Duncan the damages she caused out of my pocket, just to be rid of her.

That problem was hugely magnified for me at the end of the second act and start of the third. The Railroading to get Ammon Jerro into the party was horrendous. When I was denied the chance to kill him when it rightfully was mine, I was outraged! In a real game, I would have killed the NPC regardless of the hokey fifth statue ritual crap and found a different way to nail the King of Shadows. I almost stopped playing the game right there.

BUT I had already heard from a friend that a bunch of characters betray you at the end so I figured, “Hey! Maybe I’ll get to kill Qara and Ammon there!” Well, half right, anyway.

I had a little trouble with the end fight. That’s because I didn’t realize I had to use that silly sword to kill it. I was using a dual wielding Rogue/Assassin with two weapons I had crafted to my desires, and both should have done massive amounts of damage to the King of Shadows in their own rights.

Damn electronic railroading.

While I found the eventual ending disheartening and disappointing, it was mitigated somewhat by the fact I got to kill Qara, I was fairly certain that Ammon was dead and it was open ended enough that there was a good chance the character would be back in the sequel (which was already out by the time I was playing the game).

The start of the sequel was as lame as the end of the original but quickly made up for it. The spirit meter was fairly lame until I learned to work around it (without cheat codes). Storm of Zehir has been out for awhile now and after defeating it three times now, I find I still enjoy it. The release of the adventure module, “Mysteries of Westgate” appears to be imminent and seems to hold a lot of promise.

But yeah, they messed up a lot of things in the original and I certainly wouldn’t blame anyone for never buying additional product from this line.

5. Xlr8 says:

I certainly am late to this discussion, as well.

I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve downloaded NWN2, Mask, and Storm – though I’m still struggling with plain ol NWN2. I found this site while googling the red dragon because it slaughtered my barbarian in a matter of strokes. I felt cheated because of the time I’d put into my character, the emotion. Dragons are supposed to be hard but dang.

Turns out, I’m a victim of assuming my casters will do the right thing in a combat situation, too. I picked a barb so I wouldn’t HAVE to micromanage spellcasting. I go hack, you fire the magic artillery over my shoulder, mmmkay? Sheesh!

So, I kill off the character (cuz I’d quicksaved myself into a hole), start a new one, class him all wrong (my fault), Ammon Jerro kills my party multiple times, and this was after running into a few game-stopping bugs I didnt encounter before. Such as the pedestals in the Archives not working with the eyepatch, the statue not working because I killed the orcs and ogres ahead of time in the temple outside area, and the braziers not lighting even when I had the three firehearts or whatever theyre called. I had to console-fix all three. Google them, you’ll see.

Which makes this game *worse* than KOTOR2, imo.

So now I’m on character #3, I’m saving manually every fifteen friggin minutes, and I JUST got to ACT 3. I fear the dragon without cheating.

Just my $0.02.

X

6. Tim says:

Just finished the game (3 years late) today.

Absolutely godawful. Can’t think of a worse ending (though it did remind me of DMoTR strip CV.. heh).

First, did anyone have similar trouble with the AI standing around picking their noses at the cell/area entrance while you were busy being savaged somewhere in the middle? Anyone?

Not that it mattered, since as soon as my wizard got maximised greater fireburst (playing on normal, not that I wouldn’t relish being able to toast my party members) the game became insultingly easy. Last boss (pansy) went down like a sack of potatos, without a single game over, and I’d forgotten about that daft resurrection stick.

Shoot me now.

Oh, and Bishop betrays you. I mean, was that some form of reverse psychology? If it was, it bloody worked. ‘No, he’s too typically evil! They wouldn’t do something this stupidly cliché, would they? Would they..? Wait, where’s he going? Oh, he did not just walk out that gate..’

I found myself expecting a twist, right up to the end (‘he’ll turn on them!’), that never came.

I’d have quite happily played through the whole third chapter with just Khelgar, the short fat funny-line dispenser, just so I wouldn’t have to babysit the casters.

But, overall.. I enjoyed it (mostly). I think I’m just a sucker for CRPGs. Thank you, Obsidian, for lowering my standards.

PS the trial was bloody great.

7. Raul says:

I think the game was great, one of the best games I have played, it was funny, challenging, and had me glued to my seat for de 50+ hours I played, but definately that is no excuse, the worst ending since mario paint. I want 50+ hours of my life back, it was not worth it, I mean, a slideshow???? wtf!!!!, my computer isnt that great, but i figured out a way to play it because a friend of mine was always telling me that he was playing it and that it was great, when I started playing he told me that the ending sucked, I couldnt believe it, but he was right, I am as dissapointed as I can be.

8. Miaro says:

I thought the ending was okay, could have been a lot better. I am REALLY happy they let me kill Neeshka.(god she is sooooo annoying o_o)I laughed so hard when she was bitching that i totaly ignored her the whole game. Which is actually what I did, I never even leveled her up past level 9 the whole game cuz she was neva in my party LMAO! When bishop, that retard died it was epic lulz. What a tool with his black eyeliner and shit.

I played a cleric the whole game and IN my opinion its the most powerfull class EVER
    maximized/empowered fireballs/lightning strikes or whatever the air domain spell was, was like EPIC win.
    It was totally easymode. People finding this thing hard should just learn2read the spell/feat descriptions and shit.
    And actualyl think about your feats.
    If half your team died, thats cuz you never worked on their influence…DUH!.
    in my game, only Quara,Neeshka, and bishop betrayed me.
    then they died. LMAO. at least i got a good laugh out of it in the end.
    hehehehhe

9. Ghrem says:

Yes, the rocks falls everyone dies ending was rather poor; but being a experienced pen and paper DnD player I found the game difficulty pretty easy.

However I must say, try the expansion pack, Mask of the Betrayer. The most rewarding thing about this game is that exploration and interaction in the early and mid stages of the game have a great influence in the ending. It even manages to salvage the poor rock fall everyone dies ending of the original.

10. Chris says:

I will say I’m surprised you found the game so incredibly difficult, since I never died once throughout the entire game and I played on 3.5 Hardcore the first half and actually turned it up to the max difficulty thinking it’d be more challenging.

I played a Ranger/Rogue/Monk/Invisible Blade (12/2/1/5) and played the majority of the game with Elanee and Khelgar only to toss in the Cleric later when I had the room. While I do agree the ending was pathetic, the end fight was very cool graphic wise and I actually enjoyed it for the most part. The only part I didn’t like was, even on the max difficulty, not a single one of my party members took damage.

Barkskin, Stoneskin, Deathward, Aid, Vigor, Bard Song etc etc. . . after the skin spells and Deathward you can pretty much dub your characters immune to everything as Deathward grants immunity to pretty much everything Act III throws at you. Add in the regen ritual, the DR ritual and all the dmg boosting items and I spent the majority of the fight with the King of Shadows on Near Death despite the fact it was obvious he’s not allowed to die.

I think the biggest mistake most people will make is not buffing properly before beginning fights and then not taking 1-2mins with the game paused to issue commands, make sure all the right items are set and then start the fight.

If you’re going to be taking a lot of dmg, queue up 3-4 mass healing spells on the take so the melees are covered. Get your caster classes queued up with a few short term buffs followed by damage spells, get all the melees targeted and then just let it all unravel before you.

I disagree that you must micromanage everything because that actually makes it worse as you’ll end up with party members standing still, dumping their entire queue because you moved them etc etc.

Just know the classes, get your AC/DR/Immunities/DMG buffs and then go hack at it :D

11. pneuma08 says:

I’d say with anything D&D-related, your end difficulty all comes down to your character build. 3.5 is terrible for keeping everyone on the same page, power-wise.

12. Aquarion says:

Having just read this for the first time, I’m getting uncomfortable flashbacks to going though NWN2.

Then I start comparing it to what I’m doing on Dragon Age now, and realize that at least this time the reload times are quicker.

And by “Now” I mean “10% of the way though the game”.

And by “10% of the way though the game” I mean “Ten hours in”. A lot of which has been reloads, recently.

As much as I love Bioware, and I do, I also occasionally wish this happened less.

13. guy says:

I’ve recently learned that, actually, evil characters can get a much, much better ending if they and Bishop can personally kill everyone in the party who stuck with them.

The King Of Shadows gives you a job as his top general, with all of your ex-companions as undead minions, you go and conquer old Ilfaren, and also get to trap Daeghun in the walls of Crossroad keep and torture him a lot.

Also, Mask of the Betrayer is very fun, despite the Bar of Hate. It turns out only some of the characters died, specifically Casivar, Bishop, anyone who betrays you, Construct, and Grobnar. And you get to fight a bear god.

Tim, you didn’t pick the right dialogue options at the end, or he’ll ditch Garius, and show back up to help you become the Shadow General. In the good ending he still dies, and it turns out he’s an atheist. He’s kind of pissed off about the rocks, incidentally.

14. Oblivion says:

If you went over the edge for NW2 ending, try playing The Longest Journey:Dreamfall.You are going to kill your family, burn your house and suicide bomb your school.

I OFFICIALY PRONOUNCE DREAMFALL AS THE PLAN 9 OF OUTER SPACE OF GAMING.IT IS SO BAD THAT SOME PEOPLE THINK IT IS ACTUALLY GOOD.

15. Chris says:

Haha, I agree with your stance on the ending. Terrible. I was hoping they were just sitting around waiting to release a sequel and make more money, but no, just too lazy to write a good ending.

As another commenter said, it is like obsidian. KOTOR 2 and NWN 2 both had pretty good stories up to the end and were sequels to great games so alot of ppl just bought the name, too bad bioware didn’t make the sequels instead.

I disagree with your comment on the difficulty of the game though, if you build your character right, it’s not that bad. You just need to learn how to abuse the engine. You still get to the end and feel like there was no point to it though.

16. Jared says:

I agree with this all I mean come on they could at least done things a bit different with the ending…. I mean come on THEY BROKE MY HEART. With it after all the love and effection i gave Elanee and was basicly working a love story there… They threw THAT BULL**** out and pull that ending. u.u it just ticked me off. Also with the GOD cheat i noticed. At the end you had to keep applying it over and over again. And HEdoubleL the final boss was able to kill me with god mode turn on. Also by the way you can apply it to all chars. all you have to do is either select them or target them and then use the God cheat.

P.S. I just finished the game after having had it for 6 months…. I WANT MY MONEY BACK O.O, u.u but its too late open the package.

17. rdemetri says:

I object to your post Kidd offering a “build” to win the game. The whole point of this game is its an RPG. Most of us want to RP our chosen character – not a shield dwarf berserker of death with 5 multi-classes… to enjoy the game.

We should be able to do this and still get through the game. I’m mainly writing in defense of Shamus (I also happened to play a monk in NWN2 not my usual bladesinger elf …. and didnt have as much pain as him or I would have remembered it….)

RPG…

But I think someone above me said it best when they said no cRPG can equal P&P…. I just want them to because I can’t get all the guys together again for P&P…

18. Eugene says:

Only 4 years late to this posting, but I finally got around to playing through the NWN2 OC this summer, and I have to say, by and large, it was quite a fun 110+ hour experience (yeah, I tend to take my own sweet time in crpgs). At the end, my level 20 character wizard/Arcane Scholar was capable of dealing out significant hurt. I found the various battles to be fairly varied and original, except for certain annoying enemies with almost no attack power but loads of HP. I also very much enjoyed the role-playing parts (high Diplomacy really helps; it’s the only useful social skill in my opinion).

In concept, I very much liked the King of Shadows as an adversary, and appreciated the irony of the great instrument of protection ultimately destroying its creators (cliche, perhaps, but satisfying all the same). I concur with the majority opinion, though, that the ending definitely could have been done better; a party of epic-level characters crushed by rocks seems rather crudely done. I didn’t mind the slideshow itself that much, though a better-voiced narration would have been welcome.

For the most part, I thought I pretty much always had control of the various encounters, particularly when the higher-level buffs and AoE spells began to be available. Personally, I found the key to most of the hard battles was to keep the melee characters clustered together (and often whomping on the same enemy) so that no one got separated and surrounded. On certain occasions with lots of incoming hostile AoE, this didn’t always work to my advantage, but by then, I had crafted good enough armor and items that my party wasn’t hit all that much. The upgraded crafting probably did considerably shift the game balance in my party’s favor (after all, if everyone has 35-40 AC (after buffs), not much is going to touch them). Plus, my wizard ended up wearing adamantine full plate :-) (as did the rest of my party).

I was sad that the Neeshka romance subplot was removed, but I found a user module that added some dialog and provided for the possibility of Neeshka being the one you declare your love to under the moonlight (yay!) instead of Elanee (who definitely had her uses, just not as my romantic interest). So, all’s well that ends well there. As a side note, my ideal party consisted of Khelgar, Neeshka, Elanee, and Zhjaeve, and I was quite annoyed every time another character was forced to be in my party :-/.

So, at the end of the day, despite certain aspects of the ending, I had a great time with NWN2 OC, and am definitely looking forward to MoTB.

19. Glenn says:

shamus,

firstly, I was slightly offended by your unnecesary comments. I agree that the first 2 acts were better than the third, but how the hell can u only beat the game with cheats? The only thing that made the last dungeon hard was the inability to rest, but with a few saves it was doable. The end fight was pretty easy too, if u figured out how to get through the second part. Just for the information, i used a main character paladin/divine champion(5)/neverwinter nine(5), kelghar (monk), The gith (cleric), grobnar( bard) and jerro (warlock. Usually my battles were pretty easy as i could turn to the cleric if i needed healing, had lay on hands to save characters, and jerro’s overpowered AoE damage. And seeing as khelgar still pwnd even after making him a monk, i could always count on him saving the day.
    secondly, what that about the experience gain? I dunno about the rest of u guys but my characters were maxed out when they entered the final dungeon. (except my main character cause he was Aasimar).

I do btw have to agree with the really really bad ending. I was slightly dissapointed, expecially since neeshka sides with the bad guys while i had er in my party for the first 2 acts.

I do not expect a response seeing as this was posted a long time ago,

sincerely,

Glenn

• Shamus says:

If you’re “offended” by a write-up, then you are doing something very wrong.

“so, either you are not really talented in these sorts of games or you missed out on a lot of xp on sidequests, seeing as i never had that problem.”

I was level 20. I played as a Monk, and I let the AI companions run themselves. I am not the only person to do this. Look around the other threads on this game and you’ll see other people who found the game was too hard. The problem was that the game pretended to have AI when it didn’t. Your casters cast all the wrong spells and you must constantly pause to make the game playable. That’s crappy design. A game is either turn-based or real-time. This mish-mash is the worst of both.

“but i’d say you need a lot of practice and u need to stop whining and cheeting:)”

The “whining” is actually “criticism”. If you’re not into it, then this site is not for you.

Also: Capitalization, spelling, and punctuation. These things matter. Especially here.

20. Joe says:

Is it bad that despite the childishness of it, I still preferred the ending here to the ending of Mass Effect 3?

21. Kevin says:

I just finished this game last night (after about a month’s worth of a few hours a night with the occasional dedicated weekend). I didn’t experience the rediculous difficulty it sounds like you had (and my character happened to be a (16)Bard-turned-(3)Neverwinter Nine) and actually killed the last boss in one attempt – nor did I have to save/reload mid-battle each time, so I’m not sure why you had such a difficult time. Also, the only character I had that was “killed” before the end of the game was Shandra – and from what it seemed like, there wasn’t anyway to avoid that.

Regardless, I found this blog in an effort to validate my impression of the ending – I’m glad I’m not the only one. You summed it up wonderfully – “Congratulations you Wi-… oh, no, sorry, you and your friends all die in the battle’s aftermath.” I don’t think I would have had such an issue with it if my character was the only one who didn’t make it out – but the whole party!? Especially with how fast Kelgar starts running around, not to mention casting “haste” on ourselves? Normally I’d play through a second time with another class and try things differently, but with this ending I just feel like, “what’s the point?”

Yeah – great game and story from begining to… almost end. Can’t wait for Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition to come out this summer – at least there I know my character will have a future.

22. I do agree with all of the concepts you have offered on your post. They are really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for starters. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

23. Xarne says:

Wow Im really surprised by these replies. It looks like most of them were before the expansions came out so I can see all the rage over the vanishing heroes but, I just finished playing the OC again last night.
    I too played a monk, normal difficulty. There were some mobs that were simply harder than the rest:
    Red Dragon; stealthed rogues from the warehouse/emissary mission; the ENTIRE last dungeon.
    The last dungeon was just a ‘WTF’ area with all that DR loaded onto the mobs, but when my ‘allies’ turned on me- there was a twinge of betrayal but that only fueled my desire for revenge on them even more (Gimme that +5 sword back, *@#$). Looting Neeshka and seeing all their bodies on the floor, gearless and dying. Revenge truly is sweet.
    As for the very end, with that corny DM voiceover and the stills summarizing the after effects? Come on, that was awesome! It was like you left the computer behind and it was you, the DM, a bunch of manuals and 20d die in a dark basement…I dunno call me corny.
    I can understand if the game was hard the experience wont be very positive, but as others have said, Khelgar and Elani – those two alone can bring you into act 3- once Neeshka gets TWF, he sneak attacks are nasty.
    The Red Dragon I had all but given up on, instead let him show up at the troll giants…*THEN* attack him, kill the giants too. Win win
    Dont know why the OPs monk had such a hard time (mine was unarmed), I can only think of the way it was built, because a monk with Great Cleave, whirling kick, with focus on Unarmed strike…he may not hit hard but he hits everyone.. and alot..it almost feels like cheating. It wasnt until act 3 that he started facing mobs that could dmg him, let alone land a strike

24. Xarne says:

Also, ya the casting AI got crappy at the end, so dont give them a choice, find the best 2/3 spells for each level and jam their book full of it.
    Qara is a diceroll but the thats how I handled the others. By last dungeon my monk was simply acting like that clown at the rodeo, gathering attention while casters did the real dmg

25. George Monet says:

The best way to make the character you want is to use a character editor to give you all the feats and stats that you’d get if you made a cookie cutter overpowered character that didn’t match the flavor of what you wanted. That way you get the best of both worlds, an overpowered character that is actually the character you want.

Having to multiclass prestige classes onto your classes means that the game has failed. And Neverwinters Nights 2 has failed. Notice that all the good builds are built around multiclassing multiple prestige classes rather than building around flavor and that means the game failed. All classes should be good, and pure classes should be the best. Since they aren’t then there is a serious flaw in the game’s design.

26. George Monet says:

The ending of Neverwinter Night 2’s Mask of the Betrayer expansion is actually way, way worse.

Let’s take the normal PnP situation of coming to a cave full of orcs. The orcs are evil, they’ve done evil deeds, that’s why you and your friends tracked them to this cave and killed them. You then decide to explore the cave for loot, cause that’s just what you do. That’s when the DM informs you that in the back of the cave are several female orcs with babies. Suddenly you have the Paladin player walking leaving the game because his character refuses to kill innocent orc babies who have yet to do wrong while the more grounded sorceror refuses to leave the babies unkilled because they will grow up to cause just as much evil as their now dead sires did.

In Mask of the Betrayer, you are presented with a thing called “The Wall”. The Wall is where anyone who dies without having sworn their soul to a fake god goes and where their soul is tortured for eternity. The purpose of The Wall is forcing everyone to worship false gods as worship is how mortals gain special powers that turn them into false gods. These false gods selfishly maintain this horrendously evil Wall as means of coercing everyone to continue worshiping them, even supposedly Good aligned gods who should not tolerate such horrendous evil. And this isn’t some lesser evil to prevent a greater evil thing, the only thing that would change if you tore down The Wall is that people would stop worshipping false gods and the false gods, who do nothing anyways, would lose their powers and become normal mortals again. We have seen demonstrated time and again in DnD that mortals already have enough power within themselves to perform magic without false gods, they simply need to learn how to use their internal magic. Although technically Sorcerors and Warlocks are already supposed to be using this internal magic as their magic is supposed to come from their heritage rather than the god of magic.

Anyways, you the player are presented with the greatest evil that has ever and could ever exist, a thing that tortures people for eternity solely to force one group of mortals to give another group of mortals special powers, and at the end of the game Obsidian forces your character to be perfectly fine with letting this great evil continue unabated. You are not allowed to do anything to try stopping it. You cannot call out the good gods for being complicit beneficiaries of this horrendous evil. You cannot force Kelemvor into the moral world and kill him the way that Raistlin forced Takhisis into the mortal world so that he could kill her. You are not offered a single in character choice. If you are playing the most goody two shoes lawful stupid paladin, your character will still just accept this evil Wall without a single issue.

Remember when I said that actual friendships were broken because one player refused to kill orc babies while another character refused to not kill orc babies? Well The Wall is about one hundred orders of magnitude more evil and yet your paladin just accepts The Wall without issue because the DM says you accept it without issue despite this being completely out of character.

I’d rather be killed by having rocks fall on my head than being told that my character accepts the greatest evil ever without issue.

As fatBastard() says, “I totally agree. I just finished the game a few minutes ago and I’m still furious that after building up a proper righteous rage against that unjust and utterly evil wall throughout the entire campaign, I get to do absolutely nothing about it. And just to rub my nose in it, I then get to see the only one ballsy enough to at least ATTEMPT to do something being brought down and silenced.”

“I’m sorry, that is just not good enough. Don’t get me wrong, as usual the guys from Obsidian have made an engrossing story rich in detail … but that ending is far worse than the original NWN2 ending. Throughout the entire campaign I got to roleplay my Chaotic Good fighter properly, but there is no way in either of the nine hells that he would have accepted just walking away from the city of (non)judgment to go about living happily ever after. Even if he’d been able to restrain himself from swinging at Kelemvor right then and there, he would without a shadow of a doubt be standing side by side with Kaylyn trying to launch another crusade.”

• Daemian Lucifer says:

Stop treating d&d as the real world and youll never have the silly paladin argument ever again.In the real world,morality is internal,and no one is born good or evil,its how their actions that make that distinction.In d&d,morality is external,and if the gods* say your actions are good,they are good.If they say your whole race is evil,then your whole race is evil,including the babies.Because thats how this world is set up.

Now,you can subvert this,if you try really really hard,like Rich Burlew did with order of the stick.But in order to do this,you still have to skew the rules and make a kind of a homebrew system,which Rich did.If you stick to the official rules however,like all the nwn games,there is no deviation.Good is what good races do as decreed by good gods,and evil is what evil races do as decreed by evil gods.And any atheists or agnostics suffer in the afterlife(s).Because thats how this world is set up.

*No,they arent fake gods.In this world they are real gods.Because thats how this world was set up.