When we first thought of putting hats in Good Robot, it made sense to tie in a few achievements to them. After all, people like hats and achievements â€" combining them was a surefire way to video game stardom.
As it turns out, a couple of those achievements are slightly difficult to obtain. And by slightly I mean so difficult that nobody outside of the dev team has done it yet. The achievements I'm talking about are:
We don't want these achievements stay un-achieved forever. To encourage you to go out there and get these bad boys, we're putting a bounty on them. Be warned, this challenge is not for the faint of heart.
If you're one of the first three people to get the “Hardest Hat” achievement, we'll send you a Good Robot T-Shirt, an Unrest T-Shirt, a bunch of posters, an Unrest boxed copy, a bunch of stickers and badges, and a handmade certificate of Goodness and Robotness. Oh, and a key for the Pyrodactyl Complete Pack on Steam.
If you're one of the first three people to get the less difficult “Elite Hat” achievement, we'll send you a Good Robot T-Shirt, a Steam key for the Good Robot Soundtrack and a handmade certificate of Goodness.
- You must stream yourself completing the challenge and save the VOD.
- Once you get the achievement, open the Steam overlay from inside the game and clearly display your Steam profile URL by opening the achievements menu. This is necessary because we will use this info to verify if you have the achievement.
- Post a comment in this thread with the link to your video of your entire run â€" from starting a new game to getting the achievement. The time at which you post your comment will be used to decide the winners.
- No cheating, video editing shenanigans, modifying game files etc. This includes means of cheating not listed here.
If you are eligible for the bounty, we'll contact you for shipping info so we can send you the reward.
- T-Shirt sizes available from S to XXL. If your size isn't available, we'll send you a Steam key for one of our games instead.
- We'll handle the shipping costs.
- We reserve the right to refuse rewards for any reasons whatsoever.
- We have never done something like this before, and have no idea what to expect. We hope this is an exciting experiment for both us and you.
Additional Note from Shamus:
Also, we may add more to the prize pool for the Hardest Hat. I suspect many people might want some stuff signed by me, but the swag is in India and I am… not. We’re still working out the logistics.
Elite hat seems pretty do-able. I’ve been watching streamers and YouTubers play the game all week, and lots of people were able to complete one level without losing their hat. without any real practice.
But the hardest hat? I have no idea. Aside from jokes, there are two reasons to put an achievement in the game:
“We should create this artificial goal, because people might enjoy attaining it.”
“If someone actually did this, they really deserve recognition.”
Hardest Hat is very much this second form of achievement.
I’d say it was impossible, but I’ve seen people do some really insane stuff in games like Spelunky.
Also, don’t be shy about sharing your streams. Even if you don’t get the achievement, feel free to post a link to the VOD below. I really do love watching people play the game.
Also, please share this post with the streamers in your life. Thank you.
id Software Coding Style
When the source code for Doom 3 was released, we got a look at some of the style conventions used by the developers. Here I analyze this style and explain what it all means.
A video discussing Megatexture technology. Why we needed it, what it was supposed to do, and why it maybe didn't totally work.
This Game is Too Videogame-y
What's wrong with a game being "too videogameish"?
C++ is a wonderful language for making horrible code.
Project Button Masher
I teach myself music composition by imitating the style of various videogame soundtracks. How did it turn out? Listen for yourself.