I’m really curious about the Catherine Edit of SOMA. I watched a few YouTube videos. Near the end of the game you find yourself in an installation where she inhabits the PA system while you run errands. There are a few other points like the one in this episode, where Simon leaves her running while he does a fetch quest. It’s possible she’s awake for a quarter of the game’s five-hour runtime.
Below are a few more comments on surgery, continuing the discussion from the show:
Josh and Rutskarn both refer to incidents where they were sedated and awoke with the sensation that no time had passed. I didn’t even realize that was possible. That’s actually kind of creepy.
I’ve actually been under general anesthetic five times in my life:
- Once as a small child, to have my Adenoids removed / reduced. It’s one of my earliest memories, and it’s mostly a collection of emotions and words. The only image I have is when I woke up in the recovery room and the first thing I saw was a radiator. I wonder if that’s why I have such a negative feeling associated with them, and why I enjoyed pulverizing people with them in Half-Life 2. Probably not. I think everyone enjoyed doing that.
- When I was 19, and had turbinate reduction surgery. I wonder if these two surgeries are why my voice has such a strange, muted quality, like my head is packed with wet cotton. I’ve been told my dad had a rich radio voice when he was young. Then again, I sound a lot like my younger brother Patrick, so maybe the surgeries didn’t have any impact on my voice at all.
- As mentioned on the show, when I was 20 I was sedated for gastrointestinal endoscopyThat’s just fancy doctor talk for “Stick a camera down your throat”. and woke up during the procedure.
- Another “camera looking at innards” procedure.
- There was that one time they took my gallbladder, but I already wrote about that.
My point is, I’ve never had the abrupt cut to post-surgery that Josh described. For me it’s always like waking up after a long sleep.
 That’s just fancy doctor talk for “Stick a camera down your throat”.
The No Politics Rule
Here are 6 reasons why I forbid political discussions on this site. #4 will amaze you. Or not.
This Game is Too Videogame-y
What's wrong with a game being "too videogameish"?
Joker's Last Laugh
Did you anticipate the big plot twist of Batman: Arkham City? Here's all the ways the game hid that secret from you while also rubbing your nose in it.
Zenimax vs. Facebook
This series explores the troubled history of VR and the strange lawsuit between Zenimax publishing and Facebook.
Lost Laughs in Leisure Suit Larry
Why was this classic adventure game so funny in the 80's, and why did it stop being funny?