I’m starting to suspect this was a deliberate design choice for classic BioWare:
- Have a game of modest difficulty. After all, it’s “all about the story”!
- Give the player frequent auto saves.
- At the end, have a sequence of wall-to-wall combat for a solid hour.
- Remove 90% of the auto-saves.
- Throw in a couple of surprise difficulty spikes.
- LOL YOU DIED AND GET TO REPEAT THE LAST 15 MINUTES OF BORING COMBAT.
I’m convinced that stuff like this is how gamers end up with immersion-shattering, flow-breaking, OCD-driven quicksave habits.
The next episode will wrap this series up.