At around 14 minutes Ellie gets to this big house, and there’s already Raiders roaming around saying, “Find her!” We’re a mile away from where they thought she was, and they don’t have radios.
Can you imagine what this scenario must look like from their point of view? David said he wanted Ellie alive. So he sent out almost a hundred guys to track her. (It must be that many, assuming we’re not so unlucky that we just happened to run into all of them. I assume there must be still more guys searching all the other buildings in the area.) Instead of the entire group following her trail in the snow, they scattered themselves all over the entire region and began searching all the buildings.
Of course, there is a good reason for this. We needed more gameplay padding here and we already had the sound files for the raiders telling each other to look for the girl.
This is how I picture the design process at Naughty Dog:
- Hire supremely talented actors and have them perform a brilliant script on a high-end mo-cap stage.
- Have talented artists design gorgeous ruins,brimming with detail and flavor.
- Then some asshole comes in and mindlessly fills the space with raiders without regard to tone, pacing, or coherency.
- Then an even bigger asshole comes along and notices that there are still a few rooms in the game that don’t have mooks for you to gun down. He fixes this with some quick copy & paste work.
- Then Eugene comes along and figures, “If one bandit in every room is good, then two bandits will be twice at good!”
Dammit Eugene. You suck.
Project Button Masher
I teach myself music composition by imitating the style of various videogame soundtracks. How did it turn out? Listen for yourself.
The Biggest Game Ever
Just how big IS No Man's Sky? What if you made a map of all of its landmass? How big would it be?
How to Forum
Dear people of the internet: Please stop doing these horrible idiotic things when you talk to each other.
The Middle Ages
Would you have survived in the middle ages?
The Terrible New Thing
Fidget spinners are ruining education! We need to... oh, never mind the fad is over. This is not the first time we've had a dumb moral panic.