I know a running joke on the show is how we constantly make fun of Josh for playing so bad, but I think we need to drop that gag for a minute and talk about these goofy mechanics. What is going on here? In the first few minutes we can see:
- The game gives you a triangle prompt. Press it, zombie dies. Whee.
- Game doesn’t give the prompt, no matter how you position yourself, how long you wait, or how close you get. It gives no feedback as to what you’re doing wrong.
- The game doesn’t give the prompt, but you can kill the zombie anyway.
- The game gives you the prompt, but when you hit the button it insta-kills YOU instead.
- Sometimes you can quicktime event out of getting grabbed. Sometimes you just die.
I have no idea. On one hand, I love this game for its characters, story, and gorgeous visuals. On the other hand, it looks like a completely annoying pain in the ass to play.
See, Shamus. If you had PLAYED the game you would understand. The stupid, random, unexplained, and unfair mechanics just reinforce the stupid, random, unexplained, and unfair nature of life in the post-apocalyptic world. This isn’t broken mechanics, it’s an integral part of the storytelling and besides I didn’t have any trouble and I beat the game on hard while drunk.
Goofy gameplay aside, this entire section is completely fantastic. Best videogame photobooth since SBCGFAP.
PC Hardware is Toast
This is why shopping for graphics cards is so stupid and miserable.
The Witch Watch
My first REAL published book, about a guy who comes back from the dead due to a misunderstanding.
Grand Theft Railroad
Grand Theft Auto is a lousy, cheating jerk of a game.
In Defense of Crunch
Crunch-mode game development isn't good, but sometimes it happens for good reasons.
Dear Hollywood: Do a Mash Reboot
Since we're rebooting everything, MASH will probably come up eventually. Here are some casting suggestions.