So last month I mentioned that my son’s laptop died, and I asked for some advice on what to get and what to avoid. We got some good feedback and got him a reasonable machine without breaking our budget. (Some people even threw a few bucks at us via paypal to help with the purchase. Thanks!) I didn’t think about it again until last week when someone emailed me and asked for a follow-up. It didn’t even occur to me that I’d sort of left you hanging.
So for the curious, here is what happened…
Our big concern was price. I know a lot of advice from people centered around the idea of “you know, you can get a LOT more power for just a LITTLE more money”. Which is true, but that’s sort of always true at these lower price levels.
So that’s why we were shopping on the inefficient low side of the price/performance curve.
But here is what we got him, which came as a bundle:
- AMD A10-Series AD580KWOHJBOX Quad-Core A10-5800K Black Edition APU – 4MB L2 Cache, 3.8GHz, Socket FM2, Radeon HD 7660D, Dual Graphics Ready, DirectX 11, Fan – AD580KWOHJBOX
- Patriot Viper Xtreme 4GB Desktop Memory Module – DDR3, 1600MHz, PC3-12800, CL 11, 1.5V – PX34G1600C11
- Kingwin ABT-650MM Maximum Series ATX Power Supply – 650W, 120mm Fan, Single +12V Rail
- Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2 AMD A55 Motherboard – MicroATX, Socket FM2+/FM2, AMD A55, 1866 MHz DDR3, SATA 3.0 Gb/s, 7.1-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 2.0
- Cougar Solution Black Steel Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case – 1x120mm Cougar Turbine Hyper-Spin Bearing Fan, USB 3.0 port, Water Cooling Ready, Supports 320mm Long VGA Card, Air Filter Included
- We were able to salvage the 230GB SSD from the dead laptop, so we didn’t need to buy a hard drive right away.
I must say that “Patriot Viper Xtreme” is really pushing my tolerance for ridiculous hyperbolic self-aggrandizing product names. If this trend keeps up then someday when I’m shopping for graphics cards I’ll have to choose between the
AMD DEITY MEGA DRAGON SUPERNOVA and the
NVIDIA SUPER BOOST LIGHTNING GIANTPENIS. Where does it end? This inflation of product name intensity is not sustainable!
The bundle was ideal for Issac. He would have been really disappointed if the machine came pre-built. Buying a bundle let him have the joy of assembling the thingWhen I was twelve, I would have been thrilled to put a machine togather. Now I’m 42 and I’d rather just use my afternoon to Get Stuff Done. without burdening me with the worry that maybe some esoteric detail would keep the parts from working together. I think we came in just a tiny bit under budget.
I had to donate my second monitor to the cause. A year ago I didn’t even use a second monitor, but after just six months I was completely dependent on the thing. Now I feel like I’ve gone blind in one eye. This is not nearly as cool as Nick Fury makes it lookPeople complain his character has no depth, which is obviously false. He just can’t PERCEIVE it..
So that’s the story. It plays the games he cares about, so he’s happy. I’ll talk a little bit about the games we’re playing together on the Diecast later this week.
Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
 When I was twelve, I would have been thrilled to put a machine togather. Now I’m 42 and I’d rather just use my afternoon to Get Stuff Done.
 People complain his character has no depth, which is obviously false. He just can’t PERCEIVE it.
Grand Theft Railroad
Grand Theft Auto is a lousy, cheating jerk of a game.
Joker's Last Laugh
Did you anticipate the big plot twist of Batman: Arkham City? Here's all the ways the game hid that secret from you while also rubbing your nose in it.
Dear Hollywood: Do a Mash Reboot
Since we're rebooting everything, MASH will probably come up eventually. Here are some casting suggestions.
The Witch Watch
My first REAL published book, about a guy who comes back from the dead due to a misunderstanding.
Project Button Masher
I teach myself music composition by imitating the style of various videogame soundtracks. How did it turn out? Listen for yourself.