|Spoiler Warning||By Shamus||Feb 28, 2013||185 comments|
The area around the Hound Pitts is amazing. Bright, colorful, decayed, detailed, varied, and open. There’s lots of vertical space to explore and none of it feels copy / pasted. Thought was put into making the layout sensible. Beer barrels just off the bar, places for the help to live upstairs, nice rooms for the owners, and so on. Verisimilitude and such.
And since we’re talking about the 451 code:
- In System Shock (1994) the very first keypad-controlled door you encounter has an access code of 451.
- I’ve never played it myself, but I’ve been told that in Sanitarium (1998) the first door code is 451.
- In System Shock 2 (1999) the first keypad-controlled door you encounter has the access code of 45100.
- In Deus Ex (2000) the first keypad (for the little com station just outside of UNATCO headquarters) is 0451.
- In Deus Ex – Invisible War (2004) the game was simplified so that you no longer entered keycodes, but you begin the game in room 451 of Tarsus Academy.
- In BioShock (2007) the door code of the crematorium is 0451.
- In Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011) the code to Sarif’s office elevator (to the tutorial encounter) is 0451.
- And here in Dishonored the first safe code is 451.