|By Shamus||Feb 21, 2013||125 comments|
The Diecast number two is now here. It’s now an official thing! We may even make a third one! Stranger things have happened. In this episode:
- Whatcha doooin’? Josh is dealing with life stuff. Chris is playing System Shock 2 from Good Old Games OH MY GOSH SO HAPPY. And also Daikatana. Rutskarn is still playing Far Cry 3: Cry Some More and Antichamber. And I’m still playing Minecraft using the Tekkit Launcher.
- Here is the trailer for Star Trek: Flying A Space-Gun Through SPAAAACE Edition.
- Note that this story about how EA is Focusing on “fewer titles” going into the next generation is actually from 2011. But it talks about stuff that’s ongoing at EA. So the news is still relevant and worth discussing, just… old.
- Hey, did you know it’s unprofitable to have women as game protagonists? As Rutskarn pointed out, this may be because they get half the marketing budget.
- Here is a link to the Unskippable riff on the X-Blades intro. My goodness was she nails-on-a-chalkboard awful. I mean, vapid, stupid humiliating pandering outfit, screechy voice, plastic face, completely uninteresting. Both of my daughters latched onto her. Not because she was a good character, but because it was the first time they’d been able to play as a female in an action game. The game lost some of its appeal when they realized she wasn’t wearing orange pants and they were staring at her bare ass.
- Here is Josh’s review of the Devil May Cry anime on the Escapist.
- Here’s the Ben Kuchera article on making Aliens into a game. Which incidentally led to my Escapist column for this week. I’ll give it a post of its own tomorrow, so if you want to respond to my article you might want to wait until then. Or not. Do what you like. I’m not your mum.
- Here is Two Best Friends Play System Shock 2.
- We each pitch our own Aliens game. In the end, I think we conclude we’re awesome and someone should give us millions of dollars to make a game.
Oh my gosh is the message-clipping pissing me off. To be clear, this is a bug that I’ve confirmed in Vent, which has existed for YEARS. If you record something long (like an hour and a half or more) then when you export the audio files it will randomly chop off the end of messages. That’s not us letting go of the push-to-talk button early. That’s vent being stupid. You can listen to the conversation in Vent and it sounds fine, but after export you get what you hear in the Diecast. So much rage.
You might suggest Mumble. Josh says Mumble sounds horrible. I wouldn’t know. I grew up in the 70’s and I thought 8-track players and cassette tapes sounded just dandy, and when compact disks came along I couldn’t even detect the increase in quality.
I’ve been a guest on a lot of different podcasts over the years, and they all use Skype. The thing is, I friggin hate Skype. It’s this obnoxious, clingy, self-important jackass of a program that’s constantly bouncing up and down in the system tray and begging for attention. You always need to go through multiple warning dialogs to get it to close, to the point where it’s actually more convenient to just kill it with task manager rather than listen to it go hysterical and warn me that I won’t be able to receive calls. Whenever I need Skype for doing a guest appearance I install it, do the spot, and then un-install it again. The thing reminds me of RealPlayer circa 1998.
Still, we’re working on making the show suck less.