Here is a fun little question I found, via Flowing Data.
Now, this is very clever, although I really wish the answer for C) was 0% instead of 60%. See, if that was the case then it would make a nice circular puzzle:
- The chance of randomly choosing the correct answer out of four is 25%.
- Clearly the correct answer is 25%.
- But, 25% appears twice in this list meaning the odds to randomly choose the correct answer of 25% is actually… 50%?
- Okay, so 50% is the answer. But I only have a 25% chance of selecting that one.
- I see. So this is actually a paradox, and the odds of selecting the correct answer is really 0%.
- But… 0% is one of the options in the list. Which means I have a 25% chance of choosing it!
- GOTO 2
I’m not sure what the 60% is. Maybe it’s just a random wrong answer, but I can’t escape the notion that maybe 60% has some meaning that’s going over my head. Is there some application of statistics where (through averaging or some such shenanigans) you could end up with an answer of 60%?
In any case, I got a laugh out of it.
EDIT: Comments were inexplicably disabled for this post. This has been remedied.
Bethesda felt the need to jam a morality system into Fallout 3, and they blew it. Good and evil make no sense and the moral compass points sideways.
Denuvo and the "Death" of Piracy
Denuvo videogame DRM didn't actually kill piracy, but it did stop it for several months. Here's what we learned from that.
The Best of 2011
My picks for what was important, awesome, or worth talking about in 2011.
Quakecon Keynote 2013 Annotated
An interesting but technically dense talk about gaming technology. I translate it for the non-coders.
The Death of Half-Life
Valve still hasn't admitted it, but the Half-Life franchise is dead. So what made these games so popular anyway?