DM of the Rings CXLIV:
The Long-Expected Parting

on Sep 7, 2007

The players protest. One last time.

Gimli returns the favor.

The adventure never ends.

Dear old Bilbo.
Friends! I will not keep you long. I am writing this to you for a purpose. Indeed, for three purposes. First of all, to tell you that I am immensely fond of you all, and that one year is far too short a time to write a webcomic for such excellent and admirable readers. I don’t know half of you half as well as I would like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Secondly, to celebrate the one-year anniversary of this strip. I should say, OUR strip, since the comments and suggestions you’ve given over the last year have been as entertaining as the strip itself. Together the strips score one hundred and forty-four. One gross, if I may use the expression.

This month is also, if I may be allowed to refer to ancient history, the two-year anniversary of the start of this site. Two years ago this site began in utter obscurity, with me posting a narrative of a D&D campaign to nobody in particular. But today the site is thriving and I can now say, “Thank you very much” to the thousands of you who read this.

Thirdly and finally, I wish to make an ANNOUNCEMENT. I regret to announce that, though, as I said, a year is for too short a time to spend on a webcomic, this is the END. It is over now. GOOD BYE.

Er, not quite. Oh dear. Bilbo seems to have painted me into a corner. Let’s start over.

This is indeed the end of DM of the Rings, but not the end as far as writing webcomics go. On this site, I have another couple of weeks of deleted strips and other bits I’ve come up with that didn’t fit into the DMotR continuity.

If you want to read more by me, then check out Stolen Pixels, a screencap comic I do for The Escapist. It’s on videogames, not D&D, but it might amuse you if you’re into that sort of thing.

Thanks so much for reading. It’s been an honor.

FIVE HUNDRED!A Hundred!A Hundred!2015735. There are now n+1 comments, where n is a ridiculous number.

1 2 3 4 5 12

1. GoofyFoot says:

Thank you Shamus! You helped fill the dreary hole left from dealing with users who can’t even comprehend complex functions such as ‘Copy’ and ‘Paste’. :D

2. ZackTheSTGuy says:

*pours a 40 for his favorite webcomic*

It’s been great, Shamus. Thanks for the memories!

3. Amy says:

Ha ha, Legolas as yardboy!

I love the way that you dragged out the ending, just like in the movie, with viewers complaining that there were too many endings!

Have never gamed in my life, but I enjoyed your comic very much!

4. John says:

“May you cherish them forever.” Brilliant! I just love Galadriel’s expression.

Thanks for a wonderful run.

5. Du Jurk says:

I was fully expecting something like “I’ll miss this campaign.” Thanks for the great comic Shamus. I’ll forward Chainmail Bikini to all who are interested.

6. DiscountNinja says:

Truely, this was a work of awesome.

7. Jamiw says:

Thank you so much for this strip. It was awesome!

8. Death's_Head says:

Great comic…a true treasure that I very much enjoyed reading these past few months. Thank you for the laughs and good luck on Chainmail Bikini.

“In the words of my people, may your life be an oasis surrounded by waving palms, warm breezes, and spit-free camels.” – Klinger

9. Theodora says:

Oy!

I just got into this webcomic a few weeks ago (heard about it on the oots forum) and I must say, it’s easily one of the best I’ve read.

The expressions you managed to pull from the clips were amazing and fit beautifully with the humour you used. I’m sad to see this strip coming to an end.

Good job Shamus! I’ll be sure to check in on your new project.

10. Jochi says:

Two weeks of deleted scenes and outtakes?

Is there no end to the lengths you’ll go to to parody the movies?

(sigh) Yes, in two weeks.

11. Tar Ecthelion says:

I came in near the end of the strip but I was here for the end… and I must tell you it was great. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into it.

I’m looking forward to your next project with great enthusiasm.

-Tar

12. robert says:

Came for the D&D writeup, stayed for the DMoTR..thank you for all of your hard work Shamus!

13. Freya says:

Long time reader, first time poster. Thank you for a wonderful comic – it has been a fantastic trip. Good luck for the next one!

14. Apikoros says:

I’ve been eagerly reading these for months now, but never troubled to post before. (If you can’t be first, why bother?) But now I just want to say thanks for all the great strips!

15. Will says:

Awesome, Shamus. Extremely well done. :)

-Will

16. gyfrmabrd says:

“And thus endeth one of the great webcomics of our age…”

Well done indeed, Mr. Shamus!
    As for Chainmail Bikini – I read the first episode thing, and I like! Shawn gaston’s artwork has a rugged, darkish kinda appeal to it, and as for the quality of the writing, well I’m certainly not worried there! So more metagame humor FTW!
    On a side-note: How come these players seem so… familiar? ; )
    Keep up the good work, and thanks again for DMotR!
    (As a member of the male species, I am unfortunately unable to properly display emotion, so this will have to suffice)
    *Gives a nod of approval – deeper thatn ususal – then slowly turns around and walks away… stopping only shortly a few meters away to sneeze quickly, then disappears*

17. Scott says:

Thank you! A great comic through and through. I will miss it terribly.

18. fair_n_hite_451 says:

Auggie Auggie Auggie!
    Oy! Oy! Oy!

Congrats on wrapping up the strip with the same razor-sharp wit as you started. Great stuff.

And to Dylan Z in #123:
    I’ll see your reference, and raise you one “Joe Crow” crouched by the smouldering campfire.

See you all over at CB. In one of those rare materpieces of timing, my old gaming group is gathering this weekend – we’re split over 6 different cities and towns now, and can barely get together twice a year. I’ll be proposing a toast in your honour Shamus, and definitely talking up the new strip.

19. sleepyfoo says:

A fitting End to a wonderful Comic. I throughly enjoyed it and Your insights into the world of Gaming are indeed wonderful

Peace and Fun in your future endeavors (I will probably be enjoying CB as well).

20. txknight says:

Well congradulation Shamus. It’s been fun reading this comic. I haven’t been able to check out you other comic yet (I typcially read your comic at work, which blocks the FearBoot site), but I’ll definately have too.

Best wishes,
    TXKnight

21. Anonymooo says:

Thank you very much for one hell of a run. Best of luck on Chainmail Bikini, I’m looking forward to it.

22. Adam says:

Long time reader, long time poster. Shamus, if you make it this far into these comments thank you.

This site has brought laughter to me and my family and friends for over 10 months. We have checked all the site with great joy every time a the update happens. Thanks to this my wife started reading webcomic then moved on to my comic collection and now wants me to start buying comics (she is the one who made me stop). I will keep up with the new strip and will do my best to support you in your new project.

Again, thank you for everything that you gave us, and all the brilliant comedy you handed out.

J. Adam McLaughlin
    Charlotte, NC

23. Caitlin says:

Shamus, you’ve made my Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays hilarious. I’m sad to see this great comic end but looking forward to Chainmail Bikini.

Thanks so much for making this comic. You ended it on a great note.

24. elda-san says:

wow 151? that’s amazing. it was only posted a few hours ago. normally it’s in the fifties when i get here.

anyways! thanks for getting me through the summer and into the school year shamus. ^.^

25. Steve says:

Shamus! I was just introduced to your strip just yesterday. you’ll be glad to hear I’ve completely wasted two work days reading every page! absolutly awesome!! thank you for the laughs!

26. SteveDJ says:

Well, I have to add my thanks to this huge list of comments (150+, and the strip has only been up a few hours). I found DMotR in the mid XX’s, and have been laughing ever since. Shamus: Well done, and thanks a bunch. I, too, am going to miss this campaign.

I’ve already read the first CMB strip, and had a good laugh – so things are already looking great for the new project. :)

27. Heimdall says:

Long time reader, 1st time poster. Thanks a lot for the laughts. Keep on the great job on your next adventure!

28. Proteus says:

Dave?

Dave’s not here!

29. blizzardwolf1 says:

So long DM! And Shamus, thanks for a wild ride.

30. theprofessor says:

It’s been an honour READING it!

Thanks and I’m looking forward to your next project.

31. DaveC. says:

Fine, go ahead and end this webcomic. I didn’t really like it anyway, it was stupid. I just checked in three times a week to see if New Line had yet to slap the C&D order on you. And all that laughing that people heard from me wasn’t because the writing was funny or the screencaps were so great. Nope. Not one bit. So go ahead, leave us all and do your Chainmail Bikini thing.

You had wayyy too many people saying nice things and thanking you. I was worried you might get a swelled head and stop being funny, so I thought I would try to bring you back to reality.

32. scragar says:

I only started reading around 50 or so after finding a comic through stumble upon, since then I have read every one of them, past and pressent. I will miss it.

33. James says:

Thank you for the comics. I’ve never really felt like commenting before, but the end deserves it. Congratulations on doing such a great job.

34. Dal says:

Nice work, Shamus. I’ve enjoyed the comic since its inception way back when. Thanks for the laffs!

d.

35. Marty Lund says:

Damn fine work!

Thank you for sharing it with us.

36. Aaronium says:

Thanks for the great take Shamus!

Looking forward to a Chainmail Bikini … with some sorrow.

37. Bob Gomersall says:

Re comment 81, I misread part as ‘… heroic characters don’t act elfishly…’ which obviously isn’t true for lego lass.

I too will miss the enjoyment this has provided for so long. I will continue revisiting and savouring your priceless insights into RPG sociology (which ought to be a university postgrad course.)

Good luck with CB!

38. bugsysservant says:

Nice job Shamus. I eagerly await your new comic.

39. Berowne says:

After 32 years (and still counting…) of being a DM and a player, a score both in D&D (from pre-Greyhawk on), cases, not just notebooks of generated material, rulings, variations, etc. — none of which display the artistry and creativity of this webcomic.

I can claim that all I had was paper and pencil (colored, erasers) while you’ve got computer image-capture and photo-rendering; but you’ve shown the real spark in the dialogue, by Conan’s hairy, as well as well-oiled, nipples. Fantastic imagination, Shamus!

(I hope that at least some of it was imagination…there were too many ‘oh yeah, I remember _that_ idiocy’ moments to feel smug. As a GM. There’s some advantage to not having started playing until post-adolescence; the interim embarrassment moments are fewer. But even the best can slip up — Barry, Bill, Bob, Dave, John, Kevin, want to dispute that?)

“Why don’t you run the next campaign?” … fighting words, son; you’ll live to regret them!

40. LancewithaBee says:

non-gamer, but huge LOTR fan. My wife brought me here around Christmas. Your story line was great! I love all your characters – not to mention raising screen capturing to and art form.

Chainmail Bikini looks like it’s got similar attitude. Good luck!

41. dreamfarer says:

Congrats and thanks for a fun run Shamus!

Here’s looking forward to Chainmail Bikini!

42. Hugo says:

I usually don’t comment but this comic was part of my routine for a year. The comic and comments were funniest geeky thing on web for a while and source of rare D&D stories.
    I’ll miss it. I hope your other project can fill the void.

43. Victor says:

I am very sad to see this go, but it will live on in my heart (and your archives) forever. This is true humor and wit, something I have only been able to ape and caracature in my own gaming experience (not that its not funny). I can’t wait for your next project. Best of luck

Victor

44. Namfoodle says:

Thanks for the comic Shamus. Looking forward to the new comic. I’ll still come visit here to check on your rants.

45. d says:

thanks man, really dope comic, best ive seen with screen captures. looking forwrd to your new work, but i’d love to see you do another screen capture faux campaign soon.

46. saffry says:

Thanks for all the laughs Shamus. I’m never going to be able to look at LOTR with a straight face again.

47. Carl Cravens says:

Woo! Great run, Shamus!

Seems weird for it to end, but I’m looking forward to the new comic.

48. Weaselcreature says:

Farwell, DM of the Rings, you will be missed…except the fact that I can go back and read you again.

Great work, Shamus! I’m looking forward to Chainmail Bikini – and to your webcomic of the same name.

49. Skullhead says:

man, i really liked to see a quote like:
    Aragorn: ‘what, no boss fight???!’

50. Cheers and thanks for all the laughs!

51. Nathan M. says:

By the sacred toenail clipping of J.R.R. Tolkien*, that was one of the best webcomics I’ve ever had the please to read, and I’ll miss it dearly.

I already have Chainmail Bikini bookmarked, and can only hope it will be as well put together as this was.

Nathan
    (*Apologies & credit to Carl Critchlow, natch)

52. Boingophile says:

Thanks for all the laughs… chainmail bikini looks like it’ll be a lot of fun, as well. Toenail clippings made me laugh out loud.

53. Tom says:

Shamus, thanks for all the laughs. I’ve been reading for a couple of months, now, and loved every minute of it. The strip was pure genious.

54. John Wright says:

Wonderful. This is the best wecomic ever, and you are the undisputed master of clipping screencaps.

55. Maverick says:

*SALUTE*
    My dear shamus, i only joined a near the end of the comic, and only made a few comments, but i must say, the time i spent commenting on this fabulous web comic was great, and a huge laugh. I wish you all the best for you next webcomic (which i will endevour to read). Hope your funny bone can still strut its stuff in Chainmail bikini.
    Bye bye DM Of The Rings! You shall be missed and rememberd!

56. Sigmork says:

Great comic, my first and last post, thanks for the year of excellence

57. carmen says:

:D what its over?, I’m going to miss this comic but will definetly keep an eye on your new one :D

58. john says:

Thank you Shamus. It’s been an absolute delight. Best of luck on CB and a link’s going up on my site!

59. quadir says:

Thanks for making a fun comic.

60. Justin says:

Galadriel’s “Oh no you didn’t!” expression to Gimli’s toenails is genius. As was this comic.

Good times, Shamus. Thanks.

61. Dugel says:

Thanks for the great laughs Shamus.

62. pinguis says:

Thanks for a great series

1 2 3 4 5 12