DM of the Rings CXLIII:
Elfophobic

on Sep 5, 2007

Aragorn makes a proposal.

And for crying out loud, this isn’t the ending either. Friday.

A Hundred!2020203Many comments. 163, if you're a stickler

1. Jem says:

*gulps* I can’t wait for it! *feels sad*

2. 'tarako says:

‘What time is it normally posted? and i wonder how many people are watching this page like a hawk…

3. Maverick says:

Its 8:50 in England, so is nearly 1 in the Morning in the Usa, so pretty much Friday everywhere. So where is the last EVER Dm of the Rings comic i ask? WHERE? [/insane speach] [Insanenss]…

4. Ninja says:

Okay…
    If he IS on time, he’ll post it within the next 8 hours.
    Eight hours.
    Gotta remember that.
    Gotta…survive…8…hours…

5. nFec says:

ITS FRIDAY DAMNIT.
    I seriously can’t wait :)

6. Shamus says:

The comic has ALWAYS gone live at noon, east coast USA. (GMT -5) This one will be no different.

Yes, I’m up late. (4am) Big day today. I’m excited.

7. Dan says:

You’re up late because you haven’t finished the last comic, have you? Go on… admit it!

8. Ste says:

Hello Shamus! Thanks a lot for your work, it was wonderful to read and share this heavy amount of fun with my friends.
    I live and study in Austria, but I’m french. Btw, the french version is extremely well done. And I must say, I love both comics (yours and the traduction) ’cause the jokes and expressions are sometimes unique!

I’m eager to read your last strip. ^^
    Good night and “bonne continuation”. Ste.

9. Tom says:

Thank you, Shamus–I’ve really enjoyed this comic, and am looking forward to your next one! Roll on, noon! :-)

10. Mark says:

It’s Saturday here already (NZ).

Get on with it!

;)

11. FakeFrenchie says:

Ste.: There’s a French version? Where?

Damn! I was waiting until the last strip to post. Great job, Shamus!

12. Salinay says:

3 hours 24 minutes to go… I wonder: can we order the complete book in paperback on amazon.com at midnight too, or how much of a delay until it comes out?

13. Matthias says:

“You can bestow important titles and places of prominence to the player characters in your story. Perhaps you’ll even make one king. But in the end, no matter what you do, that character is going to end up acting just like the idiot sitting across the table from you.”

*sigh* So true.

Stephen M (Ethesis) Says:Its five o’clock (a.m.) somewhere …

It’s ALWAYS five in Margaritaville…probably also in Valhalla…

15. Byte says:

Well, were is it, now?

16. Salinay says:

I claim 144th post. 2 hours, 11 minutes to go.

17. fair_n_hite_451 says:

roxysteve said:

[QUOTE]I am, of course, planning to tell the story in the context of a Judge Dredd game.

Steve.
    [/QUOTE]

Hmm. At least as the narrator, I won’t have to fit into all that metal/leather combo stuff … unless you’re planning on doing the “outside the panels down the left of the page” figure for the role doing the exposition and scene setting. If so, I’d like to request a stunt double. Because otherwise the overhang from my developing buddha belly might obscure the crafty wit you have planned for the middle panels.

CrS

18. fair_n_hite_451 says:

Curses. My kingdom for a preview button. ;-(

19. FakeFrenchie Says:
    Ste.: There’s a French version? Where?

=> The french version is up there

We’ve already posted 53 strips. sO we still have a good way to go to see the end

20. Nira de Toryll says:

“expoected a big bang” (Khorgor)

Well with all these weddings there still could be.

Elf characters always get the abuse. It sucks. =[

Good comic though! I’m gonna miss it sooooooooo much!

21. Kip says:

Jochi Said:
    “Kip said:
    a magically enhanced 98 strength is great

I know I’m going to hate myself for asking this, but what bonuses did you stack to get to 98?”

Getting tons of money reading tons of tomes, a wish (strength doubled), belt of giant strength +4, Ioun stones, and I was a Dragon Disciple. (half orc half dwarf fighter/Dragon Disciple/sorcerer (it was at the DMs urging i took those classes, I just wanted to be a barbarian))

22. mocking bird says:

Excellent ‘or’. The ‘I hate elves’ cadre grows and grows.
    We all know Legomyass likes bears.

Too bad there wasn’t a way to slip in a ‘We are family’ montage in Rivendell with some pics from Pricilla Queen of the Desert.

23. Thenodrin says:

Kip,

While I’m sure that a Str 98 is cool under your House Rules, it isn’t D20 RAW (Rules As Written) legal.

Assuming you started with an 18 STR, and got a +2 for being a half orc, +4 for being at least a 4th level Dragon Disciple, and +5 for being 20th level, you could get a +6 enhancement bonus from a Belt of Strength, and either a +5 inherent bonus from a Tome or from 5 Wish spells cast in quick succession (or 15 cast over time.)

That’s a Str of 40, not 98. And, I can’t think of any way to get it higher by the RAW.

You mention multiple tomes? Inherent bonuses don’t stack, you get the biggest bonus.

You say that a wish doubled your Str score? No, there are limitations to the Wish spell. It can grant a +1 inherent bonus. Multiple wishes can raise this to a max of +5. But, again inherent bonuses don’t stack and if you have the cash you mention, it’s easier to just get a Tome +5.

Ioun Stones give a +2 enhancement bonus, and enhancement bonuses don’t stack. Your +6 belt would be the larger bonus.

Now, you could have a House Rule that all bonuses stack. House Rules trump RAW for your game. But, it isn’t fair to compare your character to characters in other campaigns that don’t use your House Rules, and might be using the RAW. It would be more fair to simply say “House Rules” than to list the bonuses your character has, because then someone who knows the RAW is going to point out how those bonuses don’t stack.

Theno

24. Kip says:

I wasn’t comparing anything, I was telling a story.

And yes our house rules allow them to stack. especially at level 62.

25. Kip says:

and wish spells bestowed on a character by a pantheon of gods, for killing an evil god, have pretty much infinite power, logicly speaking.

26. Jochi says:

I had considered a Size bonus (growth spells from Medium to Colossal) giving a +8, but I’m not that familar with Dragon Disciple.

But I knew I’d hate the answer. Roleplaying is dead, heroism is dead, it’s all about amassing power beyond what the rules can stand. Not that I expected roleplaying from the description of the party’s actions. And let’s not talk “logical” when a pantheon with that kind of power didn’t just do the deed themselves. Or was the whole point showing the cowardly ‘gods’ they had created a worse monster than the one they had arranged to have destroyed?

27. Level 62?
    Yeah, that answers all the questions I had.
    Assuming an average of 13 encounters per level to attain the next experience level (DMG p. 41) and assuming the average encounter takes a minimum 20 minutes to initiate & resolve, and giving even just 10 minutes of ‘down time’ between encounters, that’s 6.5 hours per level. That’s almost 400 hours to get to the alleged level, even at a sprinter’s pace.
    That might be acceptable in Everquest or World of Warcraft, but that is not the norm for table-top RPGs. This is a classic example of a Monty Haul campaign. I’m glad you’re having fun, Kip, but that’s not D&D. That’s simply plugging in cheat codes & hacks to get a ‘God’ character.

28. Kip says:

we started the campaign at 20th level, then the DM basicly power leveled us, I just went along with what he said, his games were shit except when we could hijack them (that was one such time), and most of the time we went along with him so he wouldn’t bitch and moan. He is a great Vampire GM, but sucks at D&D. Currently we are playing a campaign and I am a level 1 rogue, which I have been for 8 weeks (roughly 30 hours) everyone else is either level 3 or higher. I don’t power game, I play my character, but I can’t help the way some highschooler DMs his games.

29. Logan says:

“What do you mean by OR” Greatness!! Keep ’em Coming!!

Excellant!! Truley awesome XD

And I was TOTALLY waiting for this moment…this one goes amongst the favourites!! :)

31. Filcha says:

This time Shamus’ comments at the end of the strip win hands down!

32. j.smith says:

The guy in the fourth panel has the white tree growing out of his head!

One Trackback