DM of the Rings CXLI:
The Moment of Truth

on Aug 31, 2007

The last roll. This is awesome.
Oops.

The rulebooks give you the ability to create worlds of incredible complexity. There’s a thousand ways to resolve a situation, and a thousand different ways to butcher it and kill the tension of the moment.

EDIT: For those wondering what my next project will be. It has been announced. More details in the next couple of days.

A Hundred!2020201Many comments. 161, if you're a stickler

1. superfluousk says:

Chainmail Bikini… *winces and covers eyes* Do I want to know?

2. Yahzi says:

The fate of the world goes… DONK!

LOL!

3. TheTokenShadow says:

Quote: “Browncoat says: Donk?”

“I don’t need a gun, mate. I’ve got a DONK!”
    “You…You’ve got a WHAT?”
    “Donk!” (Thwack)
    -Crocodile Dundee 2

4. Margaret says:

Just wanted to post in a legendary thread.
    132 suckers!!

Can’t wait for the next journey Shamus!

5. standgale says:

so that’s why that bit of the story took so long – rerolling.
    I’m going to miss this comic :(

6. Woosh says:

Samus, you should do a Princess Bride comic.

Or Star Wars.

7. Faltenin says:

I’ve always loved when DMs roll the dice for NPC actions that don’t involve the players – since in this case they’ll do whatever they have in mind anyway.

Ahhh… rolling lots of dice behind the screen just to make players panic…

8. elrod says:

What an OUTSTANDING comic. Thank you for all that you have done. It’s like getting to see the trilogy all over again. IF you do another screencap comic; do SERENITY or FIREFLY will ya? Lots of comic possibilities in that.

9. Chadhulhu says:

Dang, this is great. you have a great eye for stills for the comic. awesome. can not wait to seehow this turns out.

10. Ninja says:

This is an awesome comic that defies all logic.
    Aragormless being a complete jackass…
    Legomyass being a jock nerd…
    And Gimli actually being the only serious guy…
    It’s the exact opposite of the way they’re usually portrayed, and not only is it funny…
    It’s…delicious.
    I can only say I hate myself for not reading this at the first chance I had.
    Except then I would have had a lot less goodness to read through, and a lot more ‘OH MY GOD CAN’T STAND THE WAIT.’
    Also, 138.

11. Juice says:

Well played Shamus, well played.

12. Gelatinous Cube says:

I’m amazed. The die didn’t fell off the table.

And This IS Awesome.

13. Jurrubin says:

Matthias Says:

Yall are overcomplicating the process of rolling d20s for percentile…
    ————-

Or just realize 10 is half (i.e. 50%) of 20.

14. Kacky Snorgle says:

Mejo says: d100=(99 x d20 – 80)/19

which means a roll of 10 on a d20 is

47.894715 7894715 7894715 … %

And sixty-odd posts later, nobody’s yet caught the division error. A denominator of 19 can’t possibly produce a repeating decimal of period 7; any math nerd knows that the period has to be a factor of denominator-minus-one. ;)

Pulling out the handy Windows calculator, we see that Mejo’s formula actually converts the d20 roll of 10 to

47.894736842105263157 894736842105263157 …,

a decimal with a much more reasonable period length of 18.

15. Mejo says:

Yo, Kacky Snorgle,
    Awesome!

The truth is out, I cannot accurately divide by 19 beyond 6 significant figures.

16. DrunkenPrayer says:

I was never any good at long division. Happy to see there’s another project in the works though to ease the loss of this strip.

17. bobniborg says:

Not to force you to appease us but I would really like to see you consider this medium (screen caps crossing genres). I was thinking using the Star Wars films but the DnD cross isnt there (other systems apply though). You could try a mash of Star Wars and Star Trek. Trying to think of other epics… not sure the Matrix qualifies.

18. Ellie says:

Ah, amazing job as usual, Shamus.

I look forward to this new effort!

19. SteveZilla says:

I like how Legolas says “Did WE win” while Aragorn says “Did HE lose”. True powergamers, both of them. When someone else does something good, it’s a team effort, but when they screw up, it’s all their fault.

BTW, this reminds me of a game Evil Otto was running where it came to me to roll a d20 after everybody else had rolled it, one at a time…

20. Nira de Toryll says:

Eeheehee! This one made me giggle so much!! Aweosome as ever!

21. Okay. Thank you for keeping me up until past 3am and waking everyone else in the house with my laughter. And here’s me with a big presentation tomorrow, too.

Wish I had a nickel for every time a horrifically important die roll came out hopelessly mediocre. Smashing triumph? All set. Crushing failure? No problem, we’re prepared for that eventuality. But what do you do with a 10?

You just know that even if he rolls it, the d100 is going to be a “54,” don’t you?

22. Ron says:

I hate it when the DM uses the rubber D20

Bwahahaha XD Stoopid DM :P

24. ajak60 says:

love the link!!!

404 – File or directory not found.
    The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

25. Ebircs says:

The image is gone D:

26. […] 4) The game ran 2 hours longer than planned. This vexed out the guy from the first game because he was missing call of Chul-something. He expressed his frustration with the GM making us do so many rolls and adding in so many complications, but personally thought it was great because of how tense it made things. Kind of reminds me of an episode from DM of the Rings… […]

27. nocata says:

whats a percent die?

28. Rory says:

I was totally expecting the die to roll behind the computer again, lol.

29. WJS says:

I can’t really imagine how best to model that roll. My instincts say use a suggestion spell, DC is then 13 + Sauron’s Cha modifier (I see him as being a charisma based character, not a wizard). Assuming 18 Cha, the save DC would then be 17 – possible, but difficult for a level 1-2 hobbit aristocrat wish 12 Wis. Aragorn (Rgr/Pal) would be able to resist this much better than Boromir (Ftr), but doesn’t really fit with Gandalf, who should have good will saves be he a wizard, cleric, bard, druid, paladin, whatever. I guess it would still work if you say that the ring wouldn’t be able to control him, but he would be tempted to try to use it himself rather than destroy it – which is pretty much what he says at Bag End. He would be tempted to use it, and with prolonged exposure even he would roll a 1 sometimes.

Whee, huge wall of speculation!

One Trackback

1. […] 4) The game ran 2 hours longer than planned. This vexed out the guy from the first game because he was missing call of Chul-something. He expressed his frustration with the GM making us do so many rolls and adding in so many complications, but personally thought it was great because of how tense it made things. Kind of reminds me of an episode from DM of the Rings… […]