DM of the Rings CXXVIII:
A Legacy of Deceit

on Jul 30, 2007

Aragorn can’t roleplay for crap.
Fooled again! King of the Dead beats the King of the Dumb, one last time.

Most reasonable people refer to this strip by episode number, but as the guy who makes the pages I tend to think of it in terms of page numbers. Today’s strip brings us to the 200 page landmark. Pretty cool.

202020207There are now 87 comments. Almost a hundred!

1. Deacon Blues says:

The first edition of D&D did indeed have the famous typo, “% in Liar”. When the Arduin Grimoire was created, its writers, in their slavish imitation of all that was worst in D&D, gave each and every monster a “% Liar” stat, which was supposed to indicate how often the monster lied (which led to such inadvertantly hilarious entries as the description of the Monstrous Spider, with the stat “% Liar: Too stupid to”).

And I have to agree, Gimli’s response is win! :)

2. Margaret says:

I never understood why he didn’t keep them around until the end.

And he didn’t get their treasure either!

3. Jochi says:

Margaret,
    How’s this:
    Remember, the book and the movie were done by two different people with different worldviews and in different times.

In the book, he allowed them to consider their service done after ONE battle — keeping the technical letter of their oath. Either he had mercy on their poor tortured souls or he couldn’t stand being around icky undead horrors longer than necessary — or both. Doing so was more noble and more heroic. He then recruited living men to man the ships.

In the movie, the Dead had agreed to come to the defense of Gondor, and they did, destroying an invading army. No more army, no more invasion, Gondor at peace, task over. Now, just because Aragorn decided to escalate the war to an unjust war of aggression by staging an invasion of the sovereign state of Mordor, well, that’s a whole different matter and they shouldn’t be expected to remain allied for THAT, now should they?

;)

4. Jimmy says:

Surely Aragorn should remember that he also had the powers of the devil. Not just a devil, but of Beelzebub himself!!
    He would be way more powerful than Sauron, Saruman and Gandalf combined….
    At least, so it was prophecied….

Well Shamus, great that you’re back. Keep up the great work.
    You deserve a nobel-prize in comedy for this strip..

5. the grandaddy says:

Shamus, you rule the dungeon as allways, glad to have you back.

6. roxysteve says:

TalrogSmash Says:
    scientific proof that the gall bladder is not the seat of humor in the human body. Now all we have to do is remove Shamus’ organs one at a time while he writes the strip…

So: you want to get your hands on Shamus’ organs, then?
    *snigger*

Steve.

7. Jackv says:

I love that undead king more and more :)

8. Mik says:

Nice to see you well enough to do the comic again (and therefore lots of other things I hope). Great stuff.

9. Tsetut says:

Welcome Back. That was awesome.

Parzival Says:”A published book might actually be covered under the parody exclusion in copyright law. ”

I guess that’s how “Bored of the Rings” got published.

11. Mattingly says:

The pants comment reminds me of “The Gamers” movie, where the party thief decided to pick a guy’s pocket at a tavern, then decided to steal his pants entirely, just because he could.

Also,

25 Lines from Star Wars that can be improved if you substitute the word “Pants”

A tremor in the pants. The last time I felt this was in the presence of my old master.
    You are unwise to lower your pants.
    We’ve got to be able to get some reading on those pants, up or down.
    She must have hidden the plans in her pants. Send a detachment down to retrieve them. See to it personally Commander.
    These pants may not look like much, kid, but they’ve got it where it counts.
    I find your lack of pants disturbing.
    These pants contain the ultimate power in the Universe. I suggest we use it.
    Han will have those pants down. We’ve got to give him more time!
    General Veers, prepare your pants for a surface assault.
    I used to bulls-eye womb-rats in my pants back home.
    TK-421. . . Why aren’t you in your pants?
    Lock the door. And hope they don’t have pants.
    Governor Tarkin. I recognized your foul pants when I was brought on board.
    You look strong enough to pull the pants off of a Gundark.
    Luke. . . Help me take…these pants off.
    Great, Chewie, great. Always thinking with your pants.
    That blast came from those pants. That thing’s operational!
    Don’t worry. Chewie and I have gotten into a lot of pants more heavily guarded than this.
    Maybe you’d like it back in your pants, your highness.
    Your pants betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for your sister!
    Jabba doesn’t have time for smugglers who drop their pants at the first sign of an Imperial Cruiser.
    Yeah, well short pants is better than no pants at all, Chewie.
    Attention. This is Lando Calrissian. The Empire has taken control of my pants, I advise everyone to leave before more troops arrive.
    I cannot teach him. The boy has no pants.
    You came in those pants? You’re braver than I thought.

12. Laithoron says:

Ah, SW Pants jokes, a proud tradition to which I’d like to contribute…

Leave Your pants, You will not need them.

There is a disturbance in the pants… (I have felt it my master.)

You want these pants… don’t You?

I have altered the pants, pray I don’t alter them any further. (These pants are getting worse all the time.)

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, they’re my only pants.

She must have hidden the pants inside the escape pod.

My friend here doesn’t like Your pants. I don’t like them either!

These aren’t the pants You’re looking for.

You are unwise to lower Your pants!

Your pants are beaten, don’t make me destroy them as I did Obi Wan.

13. VixenforHire says:

I found this comic through http://www.gamerchicksrule.com yesterday. I immediately IM’d about ten of my friends with it. I got next to nothing done at work after finding it, and I spread the drop in productivity around. I have seriously laughed so hard I cried and was gasping for breath reading this. You have a great sense of humor, and your goofy-looking Aragorn and Legolas screencaps are awesome. And all the people who post here are so nice! (seriously, that L-o-t-Arrrr? classic) Thanks for this, I thought I was the only one who found all of Legolas’ awesome stunts spectacularly cheesy.

And your Elven family portrait a few pages ago? Only a quick turn of the head kept me from spitting water all over the screen. Making fun of elves = win.

Hope your recovery is going well!

14. Raved Thrad says:

23 elijah wood’s idol Says:

You really should make this into a published comic book.

hehe are we looking at a possible “Shamus’ Guide to the LOTR movies?” Maybe a “companion” instead of a “guide?”

15. Medium Dave says:

He rises!

Welcome back Shamus.

Is Shamus a plural form of Shamu?

16. TalrogSmash says:

57 Parzival Says:
    July 31st, 2007 at 12:12 am

A published book might actually be covered under the parody exclusion in copyright law. That’s what allows Wierd Al to use the music to popular songs while rewriting the lyrics. But an experienced copyright attorney would be the person to ask, and that’s not me. I’m just some guy on the Internet

Wierd Al actually asks permission (or buys it) from everyone
    of the artists he paradies. He’s so good (as of his third or fourth album) that it is seen as a sign of your own success if he asks to do one of your songs and no one turns him down. Except for prince, that bitch.

No, Shamus is singular for Shamae

18. Strider says:

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg kimbatul, ash nazg thrakutuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king.

19. Toil3T says:

“Correction: He outsmarted YOU, again.”
    LOL!
    May the pants be with you

It’s funny how he always does the best roleplaying at the worst times XD It’s also funny how he can be constantly outsmarted by a dead guy. Very clever ;)

21. Smerf says:

He just got rid of thousands of undead fighters. I’m amazed he didn’t ask for XP.

Edit: upon further review, I’m an idiot and didn’t read the previous posts.

22. silver Harloe says:

> 25 Lines from Star Wars that can be improved if you substitute the word “Pants”

My friend always loved doing the voice of Khan’s son when Kirk sent the stupid “remote control the other ship” code (yah, that’s a good invention) “Sir! Our pants are dropping!”