DM of the Rings CXXVI:
A Force With Which to be Reckoned

on Jul 18, 2007

The characters debate on the merits of shafting the king of the dead..
Aragorn does a little movie-quoting.

Remember Fear the Boot, the guys who interviewed me back in May? As I mentioned the other day, they have been nominated for the Gen Con EN World RPG Awards. I could tell you to get out there and vote for whoever you think is best, but I’d be lying if I claimed I was doing this for altruistic reasons. I just want my friends to win. So if you like the show, please vote for them. If you don’t, then please don’t click on this link, visit the site, and cast a vote for Fear the Boot in the “Best Podcast” category.

Also up for awards (in other categories) are Order of The Stick and Treasure Tables, both of which I enjoy.

is a programmer, an author, and nearly a composer. He works on this site full time. If you’d like to support him, you can do so via Patreon or PayPal.

202020201There are now 81 comments. Almost a hundred!

1. Jack says:

61 TwiddleStooch Says:

That’s assuming the DM isn’t Tolkien himself

— Did Tolkein play D&D :-) ?????

I still think a lot of fun could be had with them discovering the novel.

2. Jack says:

I just Googled it. Tolkein did play D&D. That’s where he got all his ideas from.

3. ravenkith says:

I count everything my players say as IC, unless they make an out of character gesture on their foreheads.

It’s a total coincidence that the gesture in question looks like an L. Really.

“Jack Says: Tolkein[sic] did play D&D.”

Yeah, but just for a little while with C.S.Lewis, his brother Warren, and Hugo Dyson. The game broke down because no one would play a thief…

5. Kaymeera says:

The Kaymeera was here!

*Streaks*

6. AikenDrum says:

It’s a running gag in our campaign to utter a Star Wars or Aliens quote whilst remaining perfectly IC. I have no idea how it started, but at least my players no longer spout Monty Python at me.

Also, regarding the first post tradition, how about Lord Frith from Watership Down?

7. Jochi says:

I’m expecting to eventually see a starship doctor’s mug labeled DeForest Post.

8. Juice says:

An “out-of-character conversation” – classic! This is one of the best ones yet.

9. Logan says:

Vader Quote for the win ‘Aragon I am your FATHER’ ‘NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!’

10. Morambar says:

Props to anyone who knows not to end a sentence with a preposition, and doesn’t simply use Joel Rosenbergs alternative. Doubly well done, sir.

11. yadayadayada says:

nice star wars quote. appriciated, but it woulda been better if Stareagorn (XD) had addressed the dead king as “Lando” XD

12. joesolo says:

what legolas said!

13. Kavonde says:

Threadomancy time!

Reading this through for the third (or maybe fourth) time. I completely forgot about the “I am altering the deal” line since my last read-through, and nearly fell out of my chair from laughing so hard.

I love this strip.