DM of the Rings CVI:
Boo!

on May 30, 2007

The spooky door doesn’t scare gimli.
The spooky door doesn’t scare gimli.

Never try to scare a call of Cthulhu player. Those guys are insane.

A Hundred!2019There are 139 comments here. I really hope you like reading.

1. H3adlin3 says:

I have to throw my hat in on:
    The Shadow Over Innsmouth
    as being my favorite HPL story.
    Simply because he hits the protagonist with one event atop another, each slightly more horrifying than the last. And it takes place in my family’s home state. :D
    I liked it so much I made a painting (a few years ago) of an early scene from the story: http://www.h3adlin3.com/acrylic_temple.html
    I also recommend the movie Dagon, based off of the story, It gets kinda hokey at the end but otherwise a solid effort from the same folks who gave us Re-animator.

2. orcbane says:

Pretty sure Gimli encountered a Cthulhuian minion right around someone spoke “friend” to enter…

3. Jim says:

One of the easiest forms of player-manipulation there is. ;-)

If you want them to go somewhere, talk up how dangerous it is and how afraid of it they are.

If you want them to fight X person/monster, tell them he/she/it scares them.

Instead of having to sit around for two hours while they plan out what they’re going to do, they’ll just jump in with both feet. Saves lots of time. :-)

4. moonglum says:

you know you are dealing with a CoC player when any of the fallowing happens

He grabs all of the magic books, bt refuses to open, look at, or contomplate what the leather is made from without his doctor present

he fails all perseption checks on perpouse

ask “Is this where the Dybuki eats me” every time the party opens a door.

runs from most encounters, but not before shooting one of the other party members in the leg “I just need ot run faster then YOU”

• WJS says:

Really? Transitioning from 1920s to 1990s and all they could think of was Uzis? Uzis being, I hasten to add, largely less effective than a 1921 Thompson and much harder to get ahold of since 1986? There were astounding advances in most areas of human enterprise between 1920 and 1990, but SMGs were not one of them.

5. Luke (Thrythlind) says:

One time had a party, instead of travelling deeper into the forest to track the raiding gnolls to their home base, a keep where a haunt had been suppressed and then reawakened, walk back to town to sell stuff and fashion magic items. Only one player, the half-orc monk, traveled all the way to the keep to see why the gnolls were concerned with what was going on.

He got to the castle and discovered that he was being followed by the party’s excuse for a cleric (a young, naive accident prone Eilistrae drow cleric that one of the other PCs was always trying to bed…eventually succeeded).

Anyway, they hung around the keep for a little bit until the ear-piercing scream tore through the scene and the lowbie cleric NPC froze up. Half-orc monk grabbed her and ran, catching a glimpse of a huge dog running from out of the walls behind him.

Later (about one, maybe two days), said monk returned with the rest of the party and the entire keep was surrounded in a mesh of dead vines. The player turned a wide-eyed look to the other players and said, very softly:

“That wasn’t there before.”

6. oldschoolGM says:

Luke (Thrythlind) Said:
    “Humanity and Dwarves and Hobbits are NOT bound by Fate, which means that they usually remain in middle-earth only for a short while before moving on to places that not even the Valar know. This was intended as a gift, but Melkor corrupted the perception of it in the beginning so that the transition from life to death is filled with terror and dread.

It might even be somewhat worse for dwarves as they are not the products of Eru like Men and Elves, but rather a craft of Aule and though they were finally approved of by Eru, they don’t have quite the same stamp of authenticity behind them.”

You were good as gold up until the speculation about Dwarves and their fear of death. Dwarves are firm believers in re-incarnation in Tolkien’s world. It is referenced in one of the Appendices IIRC. It’s also the reason why, if you look at the Dwarven family tree’s Tolkien provides there are umpteen “Durins”. It’s also why the original is sometimes referred to as “Durin the Deathless”. Of course, the fact that this appelation is applied to Durin may be an indication that Dwarves only believe in reincarnation for the original Seven Fathers of the Dwarves. Personally though, I think it make s more sense to assume that reincarnation is a general belief among the Dwarves. If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. In Tolkien’s world only Eru can provide a true animating spirit. It makes sense that he may have only provided a limited number of such spirits for his “adopted children”, Aule’s Dwarves.

7. oldschoolGM says:

moonglum Said:
    “Cenobite….my players once asked why we never played cuthulu in the modern day (I allways ran it in the 1920’s). well I finaly releanted…They where like kids in a candy store loading up on Uzi’s and what not…..the look on their faces when they relised that the cultists had more men, money, and access to guns was just priceless :)”

What’s even better is when they realize that in most cases, bullets are almost completely useless against most Mythos creatures. *wicked GM laugh* :)

8. Luke (Thrythlind) says:

oldschoolGM, hmm, yeah, I thought about mentioning the dwarven reincarnation thing, but it only came up a few times. In all honesty, my dwarven history is weak when it comes to Tolkien.

However, that may even be more reason to fear the undead. If there are limited numbers of dwarf spirits, then what happens when their spirit runs afoul of an undead critter. You’re not just killing yourself off, but all the rest of your lives as well.

9. oldschoolGM says:

Hmmm… good point!

10. Iya says:

omg button next is gone. WTB! :)

11. Zippy Wonderdog says:

Hmmm last time I played CoC our group was in Egypt having a running gun battle with a legion of Ghouls, they drove us into a tomb and we figured ourselves safe(albiet trapped for the moment) when it became obvious the tomb was already occupied, we turn around and find oursleves face to face with one of the lesser eldar gods, a few rolls latter and everyone had passed their SAN checks.
    Face to face with horror itself and armed with shotguns…

12. Zaxares says:

I used to run a modern CoC campaign myself and based on my experiences, I would heartily recommend that players stick to the usual 1920’s setting instead.

Why? Players in modern CoC campaign know what they have access to, and they will come up with all sorts of wackjob ideas that the rules simply cannot cover. For example, one player was a complete gun nut and was forever trying to introduce new weapons which were LOADS better than the ones detailed in the source material. His argument always was, “But they exist in real life! Why can’t I buy one in the game? This game’s meant to be based on our time period, right?” This extended to all manner of new explosives and detonation techniques as well. One party member even went so far as to buy a pickup truck and load it to the gills with as much ammunition, det-cord, and even about 20 or so anti-personnel mines (purchased on the black market with help from the ‘Criminal’ party member) as he could.

Because the party was affiliated with a secret sub-section of the US military charged with investigating supernatural activity, they pretty much had immunity to annoying things like nosy cops and concerned citizens. (Looking back on it, that was probably my fault for setting them up like that, but I have a player group who LOVES combat and I figured such a setup would be the best way to get them into the campaign).

Anyway, the group kept resorting to its weaponry and various other high-tech gadgets to solve problems. Try as I might, it’s hard to make characters really FEAR for their characters when they’re packing enough lead and C4 to take down Fort Knox. Even Mythos monsters (with the exception of the Great Old Ones) will die if a character with 10 explosive belts strapped to his body hurls himself at the monster and detonates himself.

On a related note, characters can survive much more easily in a modern era where they have access to hospitals, advanced modern surgery, and state-of-the-art drugs. The game is MUCH more creepy when the only known ‘treatment’ for psychosis is radical lobotomic surgery, instead of just popping a few pills. ;)

So, my advice to other CoC GMs. Keep ’em poor, keep ’em ill-equipped. And bring on the SAN checks! :P

13. John Thompson says:

Yup, another sign that your narrative and other DMing skills are slipping — the anecdotes come out from other campaigns when you’re trying to establish mood.

14. General Ghoul says:

76 Zaxares Says:
    May 31st, 2007 at 5:09 am

“I used to run a modern CoC campaign myself and based on my experiences”

I wonder if he made his own SAN check?

15. rootgnaw says:

I like this Gimli SO MUCH MORE than movie Gimli.

16. Cheesemaster says:

“Currently Running a 1920’s D20 Gangstergame, the coolest thing is the players dont yet KNOW its Cthulhu…. *Evil Grin*”

Oh man that is nasty, but possibly very cool – the only worry would be that the players would get shitty at you when you do the dramatic reveal.

17. Hoyce says:

>>So, if the text I wrote for Gimli doesn’t fit CoC for whatever reason, that’s why.

18. Hoyce says:

WTF?!?!? Where’s the rest of my post!!

*sigh*

Anyway, I said great job as usual and that as a player who cut my gaming teeth on CoC, I think you did a fine job.

Stupid computers…

19. Lars says:

If as a D&D GM you want some inspiration outside the normal vein, try Lovecrafts Dreamworld stories (The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath and … one more whose name eludes me at the moment). The Dreamworld is somewhat fantasy-like, and there are a number of things on both its design and the way it’s described that is very usable in fantasy.

20. scldragonfish says:

I love balls!

21. Roxysteve says:

[Zaxares] Yep, you fell for one of the standard, cross-the-RPG-board gotchas there. Any time you remove a “govenor” rule or suggestion (avoiding combat is mearly a suggestion in Call of Cthulhu) from a game the wheels come off. RPG’s, because of their nature, tend to go pear-shaped much more quickly than other types of game. In D&D there are a number of annoying “limitation” rules that are typically removed by DMs. You’ll hear them complaining of the game being “broken” all the time, but the fact is they removed the lug nuts themselves and didn’t put anything back in their place.

I had the same problem with a realworld gun nut as you did. I tried my standard approach of “okay, which of the template weapons in the rules fits your weapon choice?” but he wanted all sorts of mods. Which I let him have, eventually. He still wasn’t happy, of course.

He got even more unhappy when tgheir first monster turned out to be incorporeal and he couldn’t shoot it.

Was this monster in the rulebook? Sorta. The thing that many of the newer Call of Cthulhu players forget is that there is no requirement that any one monster ever be met again. They certainly weren’t in the stories. If I need something like a shoggoth (big gun without modding it) that is immune to massed bazooka fire, I mod the thing to minimise the chances of it dying by that mode of attack.

That’s not to say I believe that combat/demolitions should be ineffective, but my campaigns try and emphasise the rewards of coming up with the most elegant and least fallout-intense solution. I let my last game’s team blow away a bunch of nasties, but they also set a forest fire as a result and burned out two communities. What a shame they left all sorts of evidence around too. Had they not, they would have lived to game another day. As it was, many of them died as a result of the penal system.

Inelegant, d’y’ see? The results were inevitable given the execution.

Also, when players get too well kitted out with modern explosives, it’s time to re-read the insanity rules and re-examine your own stance on “getting used to the awfulness”. A couple of madders in posession of that massive arsenal should give everyone in the party pause for thought.

But I agree with you that the Modern epoch is the least attractive from a GM point of view. I like the 1920s because it allows the disconnect from the real world that is vital for getting the players in character.

Steve.

22. Roxysteve says:

[Shamus] For one of the best visualisations of a Cthulhoid manifestation, see the end scenes in “Hellboy”.

Then add in everyone going the teensiest bit mad upon seeing it, reduce the effectiveness of the grenade belts a tad, throw in a bunch of murderous cultist worshippers and Shub Niggurath’s yer uncle.

I thought you did very well for a Call of Cthulhu neophyte.

8E

Steve.

23. Hey! Not every Cthulhu character goes mad or dies. I’ve got a character who’s very much alive.

(The fact that he has screaming fits in the presence of paintings and has extensive tattoos that stop his skin from turning inside out every three days, is beside the point!)

24. Dave says:

I’m confused.. nobody said, “First”.. how am I to know who was first? Damn.

25. Shell says:

Na they wont get angry… although they are gettig annoyed by the sanity rules I’m “testing” lol the whole game is coming off with a kinda sin city feel at the moment

And d20 works… why? cause the players know the rules, I know the rules, so in the end we can all just forget the rules, move on and have a brillient game without looking up th rule book every 20 mins with cthulhu that could really hurt the atmosphere and awesomeness.

26. Joshua says:

27. Antiquated Tory says:

I’m just proud of myself for inserting a C of C reference into a Lebanese political conspiracy thread. Comparing the effects on SAN of trying to figure out Lebanon and investigating Cthulhu cultists.

28. Christian Groff says:

*I thought Gimli was the last one into the dungeon?*

That was the movie, this comic is messing with the movie shots. Yes, in the story, Gimli was the last person to enter, and yes he was freaking frightened. I’ve just finished watching “Return of the King” on DVD and I know that’s what happened.

However, all bets are off in a webcomic. Remember, this comic has Gimli portrayed by a veteran role-player.

And one more thing, if my DM started saying “Okay, you’re so scared you **** your pants”, I’ll get up and storm out of that house and never speak to that guy again. I’m with Gimli’s player – you can go ahead and drag us all over Mordor or whatever, but the instant you start dictating how their characters act, you’re only going to lose your group.

I have a paper copy of a DUNGEON Magazine adventure called “Horror’s Harvest”, which is a Ravenloft adventure where the PCs enter a town which is housing a doppleganger plant, which possesses the villagers and slowly devours their bodies from within, while making them act natural. Now, there’s a chance someone’s character in the gaming group will get possessed by this creature. The adventure text gives ideas on how to throw suspicion away from the fact that the person is possessed.

However, nowhere in this adventure does the text tell the DM to go and take control of the player’s character as an NPC unless the player refuses to work with you. If I were a crass DM who spent his time controlling the PCs’ actions, I deserve to lose my gaming group for good. That’s rude DM behavior and true DMs would see it as a breach of your players’ respect. I’d never do that if I DM’d a group.

Sorry for the rant, guys. I got carried away.

29. rosignol says:

However, all bets are off in a webcomic.

Indeedy. Anyone who thinks otherwise should remember what happened to Gollum.

Natural 20! Woot!

30. Laithoron says:

I just wanted to give a shout out to oldschoolGM and Thrythlind. We might not know one another, but it’s nice to see other Tolkien historians willing to share their lore in a non-confrontational tone. Thanks for sharing Your insights and thanks also to Shamus for providing a site to serve as the hall of the tale-fire around which we might gather.

Nai hiruvalye Valimar…

31. Woosh says:

“Shandrunn Says: Look guys, it’s the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft.”

O_O + :O

32. Shamus says:

I’ll second what Laithoron said: The internet is a wasteland of uninformed people calling each other idiots, and it really makes me smile to see knowledgeable people trading ideas without trading barbs.

33. James says:

“The internet is a wasteland of uninformed people calling each other idiots, and it really makes me smile to see knowledgeable people trading ideas without trading barbs.”

Hear, hear! The comics here are excellent, but what makes this site really nice is the discussions that evolve around them.

Anyway, this was another a great installment of the comic. Using that shot to represent Gimli going in first = genius.

34. James says:

“Hmm, reminds me of when I was in college and a DM was running a Recon game(authentic, ultra-deadly Vietnam RPG). Somehow, down the line, the game got mixed up with elements of supernatural horror, and the VC weren’t the only things to be afraid of in the jungle.”

Didn’t they make a film of that?

Gotta love Predator.

35. Noone says:

Gimli looks bored when saying about the freaky monster.

36. Eclipse says:

I’m pretty sure that the Elves in Tolkien’s books return from the Halls of Mandos to the realm of the living, it just only occurs when ‘the stars are right’ (when they’re fated to).

37. palabradot says:

Bad GM for not asking for a save roll! And Cthulhu players represent, yo!

38. Luke (Thrythlind) says:

My general gming method is to make stats for the characters the players are likely to encounter, detail places, motivations, personalities, strategic tendencies, tactical tendencies and the like.

I don’t actually create a timeline save for things that AREN’T under player control with a few exceptions.

One such example was my A-Kon Mutants and Masterminds game: Heritage. In the first adventure the characters were GOING to get dumped into the abandoned levels of the compound, it didn’t matter which way they went, because wherever they went, the bad guys would be pursuing them, and bringing the grenades, which are what cause the floor to give out and dumping the party down into fire-ant swarm infested realms.

For the remaining two game sessions of that convention (when I ran the mid-game and the high-game in the same universe) I heard the following:

“Are there any ants?”

39. Zaxares says:

[RoxySteve from #86] Yep. Consider my lesson learned. :S However, as I said, my party LOVES combat and whenever they encounter an adversary their first line of action is to try to blow it away. And when they can’t, they complain that I sent them an impossible monster. :P

I’m trying to wean them off that attitude and get the point across that CoC is not about the commonly-held belief that “big explosions solve everything”. I think I’m making some progress, mostly because the last adventure involved them trekking to an ancient Mayan temple which held one of the brothers of Chaugnar Fhaugn. As I expected, when the party encountered the beast, their first course of action was to flee, then rig the exterior of the temple with probably a megaton of high explosives and bring the whole thing crashing down upon the creature.

Upon which I then revealed that the ‘ally’ of the party, a local pastor, had duped them into blowing up the temple, because doing so also destroyed the ancient runes that kept the Great Old One bound there. *evil cackle* (Said Great Old One seemed little the worse for wear despite having several thousand tons of rock dumped on his head) With his god free, the cultist and the freed brother then attacked the party, forcing them to flee the region with the most unseemly haste.

SAN checks are indeed the best way to keep gun-crazy players in check, but again, I refer to my original post where I point out the other problem about playing in modern campaigns; access to modern medical technology and breakthroughs. Although each of my players has at least two minor insanities, they can keep the insanities in check with various drugs. I could, of course, arrange for the players to lose their medications, but that would just seem contrived.

40. Wtrmute says:

I’m sorry about criticising my fellow boarders, but lots of people seem really quick to do the “if my DM does this, I’ll stand up, walk away and never talk to them again”… surely it’s a bit excessive? In the very comic, for much as they usually do the absolutely wrong thing most of the time, Gimli’s player actually presented his grievance to the DM well enough that it should be enough for him to learn his lesson. It probably won’t, just because Shamus isn’t done milking this particular foible for all the laughs he can, but ordinarily…

In other words, if you think your DM has done something absolutely stupid, come clean with them. Maybe, just maybe, they will concede the point and then everyone will just be better off for it… right?

41. alogen says:

rkb wrote:
    He was. I’ve always wondered why. I can accept that Legolas, as an elf and quasi-angel, would not be afraid, and that Aragorn and the rest of the Dunedain are hard-boiled enough not to get scared, but I always wondered why Gimli was so frightened. You might think that as a member of one of the elder races he’d share a portion of the same fearlessness Legolas has.

That said, I love this version. Fhtagn!

Aragorn was the first because he is the only one with sword vs undead (you would do the same, not going in before the only one who can damage them!), and Gimli let Legolas first because Legolas is such a woman, and Gimli was trying to be gentleman, ladies first, and stuff. hehe

42. Raved Thrad says:

Aww, man! I stop checking for a couple of days to play Guild Wars and a Call of Cthulhu reference slips past! Now any SAN references I might make are stale! Sweet Baby Cthulhu is going to eat my soul!

43. Raved Thrad says:

This post is going to show my age :))

58 Cenobite Says:
    May 30th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

Since this has turned into a CoC / Lovecraft thread, I must contribute.

If you can have Call of Cthulhu 1890’s…
    …and Call of Cthulhu 1920’s…
    …and Call of Cthulhu 1990’s…
    …then why can’t you play Call of Cthulhu 2020’s?

Hmm I suddenly thought of a game set in Sealab 2020 and they discover a mysterious non-Euclidian ruin on the ocean floor >:)

“scldragonfish Says:I love balls!”

*Sigh* Where were you when I was single…

45. James says:

Wtrmute: “I’m sorry about criticising my fellow boarders, but lots of people seem really quick to do the “if my DM does this, I’ll stand up, walk away and never talk to them again”… surely it’s a bit excessive?”

No, but “if my DM does this, I’ll drive a truck full of C4 into him” might be excessive…

I have had one or two DMs do that, but under the circumstances I don’t blame them. It’s not reasonable in the general case, but there are cases when the player is calmly reasoning out a tactical reaction to a revelation of mind-shattering horror and it’s a quick shorthand way to let the player know that he’s, shall we say, insufficiently immersed.

46. Crazy Bob says:

Okay, so it’s several months after the comic was posted… and I’m wondering if anyone still reads these… but I figured I’d throw my two cents in anyway.

My Call of Cthulhu GM used to refer to the game as ‘the Quest for Middle Management’. The characters, assuming they lived long enough, and managed to keep the ebb of sanity to a slow, downward spiral, would eventually find that they’d gained enough notoriety and proficiency in otherworldly matters that one or more otherworldly entities would go recruiting… usually with an offer they couldn’t refuse.

And that’s when we knew that we’d won the game.

47. Logan says:

Go go Cthulhu players!

Three options with Heroic Cthulhu:

LISTEN:
    MP3’s of tabletop roleplaying (Heroic Cthulhu)
    You can either get individual game MP3’s here:
    or subscribe to the podcast here:
    Yes, it is free.

JOIN:
    If you are able to attend a tabletop gaming session (RPG) in Hoffman Estates, IL, e-mail me at logan9a[AT]yahoo.com

DISCUSS:
    The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at: http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Enjoy!

Logan

48. Hayley says:

wow. gimli is crazeeeeeee

You rock SHAMAN

49. Samantha says:

what the heck is wrong with gimli? I mean, the description is scary but…I dunno.

50. SandallE says:

For those of you looking for a local gaming group, check out NearbyGamers.

51. Filcha says:

Off topic but you may like it…

We were at a party with my teenage son. The dinner consisted of several casseroles, etc, including 2 curries.. one labelled ‘Balls’, the other ‘No Balls’.
    After a while, son says: ‘Gee this curry is really hot but I can’t find the meat balls.’ !!!!

52. perlhaqr says:

“Hastur-Blaster rules R’lyeh.”

53. Wenoc says:

I don’t know exactly why, but the last box in this strip actually made me laugh so my eyes watered.

54. I have to say, it’s not just Call of Cthulhu that gets you jaded. Play enough Rifts or read enough Sandman or Spawn and pretty soon “That thing has a mask made of a skull” is a trite cliche. Mixing that up can be hard:

1) Gross-out. “A mask made of multiple shrunken skulls. One seems to be winking at you.”

2) Psychological horror. “As you walk towards the mirror and touch it, it becomes cold to the touch. Your image in the mirror smiles back and lunges at you.” Or, much better, “The TV randomly turns on. The channel slides up and down, but the screen stays the same. It seems to be a sitcom. The cheerleader comes home to find her family murdered. She laughs and says, ‘Oh, Cthulhu!’ Tentacles explode from the screen.”

3) Visceral cruelty and brutality. My favorite, and this one really worked, was to have a player after getting his ass kicked be thrown into a mass grave. They figure out that it’s bodies only after being dug up.

55. Alex17 says:

Wow first comment and that description by Gimli was awesome to read.

56. Shorgoth says:

I’m a keeper of Call of Cthulhu myself, I usualy make “one shot” games during night with around 12 players and no rules, I just make them roll a d 100 to give an aproximation on their success at doing things and I take in consideration their employement…

When I did my first game some of my players were so scared they wouldn’t go outside alone during night for a full week irl… During the game some of them refused to do some actions like going back to the car even in group or to even think of going through a dark trap in the roof. In this whole game they saw only shadows and 4 cultists. That’s the power of description :p and a good embiance… We got some great rp scenes and theatrical moments with a light closing right at the crucial moment of a sinister description.

My other games were not as great but enough to make one of my players going hysterical for real… and other to make nightmares for some time.

My last experiment was to make a campain with a single player and having all my other players being “gms” secretly in league with me. We railroaded him secretly to be stuck in a time loop. The guy is now paranoïd for real… Not bad in a sence since he was so guilible.

My personal oppinion of Call of Cthulhu: Greatest game ever. Yay for applied psycology!

(sorry for all my mistakes in english it’s not my main language)

57. Burny says:

Lazy enough not to read EVERY comments here,TSR publish a CoC/d20 rule,witch I cruely aplied to my D&D campain;the Sanity check(% roll on a wis score X5)kept my players on their toes(particularly after an immaterial/invisible creature attack after the gnome spoted it with detect invisibility). I mean,some creatures are so horrible that even PC’s should be afraid of them,and not just charge headlong into them hoping for XP’s.CoC/d20 had a list of every monster in the MM and their horror factor,so PC’s can fear a Mindflayer but not an Orc…

58. Yrael says:

Trail of Cthulhu is really awesome. It’s pro.

Angels and demons alike weep to hear its name read aloud and the very heavens and earth sunder at the invocation of such potent distillation of raw RPGing.

59. Andrew Jensen says:

You forgot all the tentacles…

60. Vitruvian Zeke says:

That is not dead which can eternal lie …

… kinda like this campaign.

61. A Girl Named Jessie says: