DM of the Rings CI:
There He Goes Again

on May 16, 2007

Pippin swipes the Palantir.
Aragorn gets the crystal ball.

When it comes to giving things to the players versus making them “earn” them:

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

is a programmer, an author, and nearly a composer. He works on this site full time. If you’d like to support him, you can do so via Patreon or PayPal.

2020202017There are now 97 comments. Almost a hundred!

1. rosignol says:

Yeah, the rockethorse line was funny, but the one that got me was

“I don’t think those guys had any ranks in Use Magic Device”.

I know players who think like that. XD

2. Salen says:

Oh well, skip all that boring stuff. I hear there’s a dungeon full of ghosts and undead just to the north of the camp! Heheh. Can’t wait.

3. Phil says:

The Complete Adventuring Fisherman?

Like this game needs another spratbook… ;)

4. Richard says:

Teach a man to fish, and you will be of no further use to him.

5. Continuing the Aragorn-Sauron exchange:

Sauron: I’ll be in my bunk.

6. empty_other says:

Do you read the weekly Nodwick comic? Aaron Williams (the creator) posted this youtube – link in his blog today, if you havent seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBmZN2LnDbA
    Funny stuff! :D

7. Zolarith says:

i cant imagine how the caverns is going to go… with the whole aragorn talking to the undead king…ooooh boy

8. Tim Keating says:

You really shoulda made a “Law & Order” joke for this comic.

Which makes me wonder: is CSI a roman numeral?

9. brassbaboon says:

So, we have Legalos, Gimli and Aragorn in the undead dungeon.

A ranger, a prestige archer and a dwarven fighter.

Hope they have some magic protection from undead….

10. Harlock says:

@DMCain: Nah, what you do is either lvl 1 human fighter x-weapon Warmace (1d12 one-handed damage!), two-weapon fighting, oversized two-weapon fighting; or lvl 1 dwarven fighter, two-weapon fighting, oversized two-weapon fighting (with dwarven waraxes) And of course, you aim the dwarf at the Dervish PrC. Because you’re not a _true_ cuisinart without the Thousand Cuts class ability. Fourteen attacks per round (plus Haste, plus Slashing Fury feat…Ew.) Of course, aim a human fighter with a two-bladed sword at Dervish and Exotic Weapon Master and you can get yet another attack with the Flurry of Strikes class ability.

But QE is right: you can’t get the second attack out of a two-bladed sword unless you use both hands. It says so right in the weapon description.

11. Smith says:

Hey Shamus:

I thikn Rich Burlew’s been reading your strip. OotS 453, which posted today, had references to kill-stealing & ninjas, too. Coincidence?

12. Raved Thrad says:

hehe “Rockethorse.”

Makes you wonder if there’s some spell Gandalf has to chant to get Shadowfax to run, like “Heigh-ho, Shadowfax, awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!”

1) It says here in “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman” : the pole does only 1/2xd4 damage but if opponent is hooked, role as per entangle spell… also add +5 to bluff roles when telling stories…

2) We’re nowhere near the end: There’s the path of the Dead, stealing the ships, oliphant hunting, the attack on Mordor, not to mention the wedding…

3) An elf, a dwarf, & a ranger walk into a bar.
    The dwarf says to the barkeep, “I’ll have the usual.”
    “Aye , one stout it is.”
    The elf says to the barkeep, “I’ll have the usual.”
    “Aye , a Mimosa it is.”
    The ranger walks up to the bar and says to the barkeep, “I’ll have the usual.” The barkeep replies, “Directions to the brothel ?”

14. baldrin says:

No really! She was Karving her initials on the wooosh with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush. . .

15. Jeff says:

And I think it’s gonna be a long long time
    Till Gandalf brings me round again to find
    I’m not the horse they think I am at home
    Oh no no no I’m a rocket horse
    Rocket horse burning up his feed towards the Land of Stone

(Apologies to Sir Elton John)

16. landslide says:

Haha, your narrative at the bottom is spot on. There’s a player in my group who consistently shows up the next week, knowing absolutely everything about any new power or item he got in the previous session. Even the errata, so he can dictate to the GM exactly how things work to get done what he wants to do :)

17. IronNerf says:

Echoes from FASA’s dim vault: May your horse Move By Wire, chummer. {snort} I wonder where it vents.

18. SteveZilla says:

[quote]Shamus Says:
    Originally Aragorn was going to say, “He’s been KS-ing our mobs, and then he tried to ninja our loot…”

But I wasn’t sure how widespread this usage of the word “ninja” was and how many people would get it. I only heard it myself a couple of weeks ago, and I didn’t want to make the lingo too esoteric.[/quote]

You could direct them to this video to explain the lingo:
    World of Offline Gaming:

And to explain the Leeroy Jenkins useage in the video:

19. Gwendolyn says:

Haha, so true about the dual-wielding =)

20. Syreene says:

Dual-wielding two fishing poles? Oh my God…I about busted a gut laughing so hard!

21. Nick says:

another reason to not play with people who can read…. they’ll trust you

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

God, that Aragorn should be renamed Aragant. Never satisfied, is he? :P

23. Morambar says:

I always assumed the “Complete ___ ” line was inspired by the Angler, just as I assumed that was the direction Shamus was going with his commentary. It’s nice when great things come full circle. For example, when this day started I was in bed, and now, if I can tear myself away….

And I never play with people who trust me; no matter how munchkinized the PC, he’s still just a paperweight (or maybe a paper weight) if the PLAYER’S useless….

24. WeLikeShadowrun says:

I’m actually going to create an uber fisherman character now, the oppurtunity’s too good to miss.
    ;)

25. ERROR says:

Maybe instead of “WHOOSH!” it would be a very large “BOOM!” accompanied by a ring of smoke to represent supersonic travel… Or is that too fast?

26. Xk says:

My first Post !!! (Why didn’t I post every panel…)
    Read this comic in a flash 2 weeks.
    It’s delicious. Really. Damn (DM) good.

By the way… 7th pannel “Curse” instead of “Course”, like “of curse it’s mine.”

eheh.

GREAT COMIC.

27. […] sem fins lucrativos, todos os direitos reservados a Shamus Young- Navegue pela série«DM dos Anéis #100: E a Trilha Segue Para SempreAKPC_IDS += […]

28. […] sem fins lucrativos, todos os direitos reservados a Shamus Young- Navegar pela Série«DM dos Anéis #100: E a Trilha Segue Para SempreDM dos Anéis #102: Uma […]

29. soapberries says:

I want to believe.

30. Hannah says:

The authors notes actually happened in our campaign. We came across “Shawn Connery School of Cooking” in one of the cities we visited, and our thief spent the day there. Next thing you knew, he had switched out his daggers for a magical fishing rod that could find fish in any pool of liquid (including beer fish, urine piranhas, rainbow bass, ect) which he would then try to use as currency.

31. i read this for DM skillz says:

1st panel, “Muster of Rohan”. I didn’t know the rohanians made cheese.

32. Andy says:

So, is everyone in this comic British or what? Sometimes I can’t decide.

2 Trackbacks